I can only eat two meals a day, but am trying to bulk. What should I eat?

crackerdoctor

crackerdoctor

Awards
It's buffet style, with all sorts of foods.

Examples: Grilled chicken, Pastas, pizza, potatoes.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
how much do you weigh?

crackerdoctor

crackerdoctor

Awards
168 lbs

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ok, first I have to ask out of curiosity. Why only 2 meals a day? Where you at and why?

Now, are you able to take food away with you? If so, take a plate or 2 with you. Even if you can't refrigerate you'd be surprised at what foods keep and for how ling without the fridge. Everything but protein will do fairly well. Even then depending on the protein and how it was prepared you can get away with it to. If you are working out hard and are wanting to bulk and really have no way to eat right all the time even bad food is better than no food.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Potatoes and grilled chicken will keep for hours at room temp and be fine.

crackerdoctor

crackerdoctor

Awards
College kid, have pre-set amount of meals I can use for semester.

Can't take any food with me, strictly against the rules.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your trying to bulk, then calculate how many calories are in each food and go from there. At your weight you would want to try to consume anywhere between 2500-3000 kcal/day, so choose your foods based on your needs. With two set meals a day, something along the lines of the Lean Gains diet would be subtle for you. Just google Lean Gains and read up on it a bit. A lot of useful info on their website. Something else to look into are some good MRP's and protein bars you can stash away in your dorms for use inbetween meals.

Also, there shouldn't be any rules about you having food in your dorm. Most allow a small frig to be used, so take a trip to the grocery store and stock up on some good food i.e canned chicken, tuna, salmon, pre-cooked shrimp, breads etc.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
If you can only eat 2 meals a day Id try eat somthing like this with an in between. you oculd add tuna and tinned chicken to the in between meal (i assume you can keep some food in your dorm) Id replace the cottage cheese with tinned meat if you dont have a fridge.

Meal 1:
6 eggs
200grams of chicken
2 cups of rice
2 pieces of bacon

In between:
250grams cottage cheese
50-100 grams of unsaulted penuts
protien shake if possible

Meal 2
180grams steak/lean red meat
1 bowl of pasta (even two bowls)
3 servings of vegetables
Protien shake if possible

crackerdoctor

crackerdoctor

Awards
Thanks guys, my roommate is bringing in a fridge tomorrow, and I'm running to the store as well, so I'll pick up some of the mentioned items. I'll check out the Lean Gains in a little while too. Thanks.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you can only eat 2 meals a day Id try eat somthing like this with an in between. you oculd add tuna and tinned chicken to the in between meal (i assume you can keep some food in your dorm) Id replace the cottage cheese with tinned meat if you dont have a fridge.

Meal 1:
6 eggs
200grams of chicken
2 cups of rice
2 pieces of bacon

In between:
250grams cottage cheese
protien shake if possible

Meal 2
3 servings of vegetables
Protien shake if possible

Blows my mind ANY institution would restrict that kind of wway. you eat better in the military and prison, but do you have a microwave???? You know have a fridege it sounds like. Dogmattics'suggestion is SOUND, but use those as your main meals and the other as supplemental meals... Just depends on timing. If you have a fridge and a m icrowvave and a buffet, dude you are fukcing set and please let the rest of us alone as we shouold be so lucky.....lolo

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you a skinny bones jones like me at your age or a bit heavy?

crackerdoctor

crackerdoctor

Awards
I'm on the skinny side. No microwaves, they aren't allowed. Yeah, i have a fridge coming in today, and am going to get some milk and stuff for it. I think I may just start eating a sandwhich every 2.5 hours when I don't get to a meal.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
do u live in a dorm or apt or what? im in college and i eat 6x a day and i have a meal plan, but i only eat dinner on campus. the rest is at home that i cook. u cant bulk off of 2 meals a day, im sorry

crackerdoctor

crackerdoctor

Awards
Well I bought some peanut butter, and I'm going to down a sandwhich every 2.5 hours. What else can I eat at the dorm?

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
Well I bought some peanut butter, and I'm going to down a sandwhich every 2.5 hours. What else can I eat at the dorm?
Tinned chicken, and tuna. Cottage cheese has loads of protien. Proein shake/bulk gainner. Oat bars, penuts and cashews are also good.

Well since you have a fridge you can eat more.

Try Breakfast (Cafeteria)
6 eggs
200grams of chicken
2 cups of rice
2 pieces of bacon

In between: (dorm)
250grams cottage cheese

Meal 2 (dorm)
2 medium tins of canned chicken/tuna
1 oat bar
2 cups of fresh raw carrots cut up with humus dip.

Inbetween/preworkout (dorm)
50gams of penuts
1 hanful of dried fruit
1 banana

Postworkout
Protien shake

Meal 3 (cafeteria)
3 servings of vegetables
Protien shake if possible.

You could also frink a liter or two of full cream milk a day.
It depends if your trying to lean gain (little fat gain) or really bulk.

crackerdoctor

crackerdoctor

Awards
This is pretty legitimate. Thanks man.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's no real need to eat more than 2 meals a day if you can get your protein and total calories in those 2 meals.

Really anything carbohydrate other than direct sugars are ok. Oatmeal is easy, and even if you can't have a microwave in your room, a coffee maker will get water hot enough for oatmeal.

ChrisSurf

Awards
Just curious but what college do you go to that only gives 2 meals a day, and doesn't allow you to bring food (unless I misunderstood something)? That sounds ridiculous.....

Plenty of answers above and you can also buy assorted nuts (almonds etc), very calorie dense.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There's no real need to eat more than 2 meals a day if you can get your protein and total calories in those 2 meals.

Really anything carbohydrate other than direct sugars are ok. Oatmeal is easy, and even if you can't have a microwave in your room, a coffee maker will get water hot enough for oatmeal.
i agree but for some its hard to get 600g of carbs and 300 g of protein in two meals

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i agree but for some its hard to get 600g of carbs and 300 g of protein in two meals
Well, unless you are 320lbs you don't need 300g or protein anyhow. And I can put down in the 200-250g of carbs in a meal alongside 100-120 from protein, plus another 30-50g in fats. I tend to go higher fat on the meals just because it is an easy source of calories. Never seemed that hard for me to hit a 1500-1800 calorie meal, but then i'm a former fat boy too

HamrphisT

HamrphisT

Awards
Grits and cheese, eggwhites, chicken, red beans, brown rice, cornbread, baked potato, french fries, fillet mignon (long shot but its awesome non the less lol, ****tons of protein) just to name a few... Pick up meal replacement mix, or a high calorie weight gainer, carbohydrate powder etc... add some water and instant 1200cals.

fueledpassion

fueledpassion

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Loaded baked and sweet potatoes with 10-12oz meat are gonna give anywhere from 700-1000 calories together (if the potatoes are large). I'd just keep it simple really, have your two meals and incorporate a snack before bed or a weight gainer. You only need about 200g protein and 400g carbs and maybe 75g fats to get where you wanna go with this I think. That would net you around 3000 calories a day.

So divide 80% of all of that up into two meals and the last 20% is accomplished as a snack. Or you could do any variation in between but here is an example of what I'm talking about.

Meal 1 - 80g protein, 160g carbs, 30g fats = 1230 calories

Meal 2 - 80g protein, 160g carbs, 30g fats = 1230 calories

Snack/Bedtime - 40g protein, 80g carbs, 15g fats = 615 calories

leadpoison2

Awards
get some greek yogurt for your fridge that is delish!... also get some extra food on your plate and bring a zip lock bag... thats what i do and im in the military and unless your in uniform you're not allowed to get food to go... i usually put w/e sups i got in the bag and then fill the bag with food when im leaving so i get an extra meal when im back in my dorm room... give it a try im sure you will get a away with it... a sandwich size bag will fit right in your pocket and works great for a couple chicken breasts!