Trying to bulk but just end up getting fat

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.16%

Trying to bulk but just end up getting fat

ok well heres my dilemma, im trying to pack on more muscle mass and increase my strength i feel like im eating enough calories and protien but i dont seem to be gaining eiather stregth or mass. I did go from about 138 to 153 but now when i look in the mirror i just look fat i dont really look like ive gained to much muscle at all. I know i hear it all the time eat,eat,eat eat but i do and dosent seem to work. Maybe im just not taking in enough of the right calories and carbs. My routine is usally about 10 to 15 minutes of cardio a day, monday: back, tuesday :biceps, wensday: chest, thursday: triceps, friday off, saterday: legs and shoulders, this is where i know you guys are gonna laugh diet consists of morning: bowl of cold cereal ie honey nut cherrios, life, or raisen brain sometimes oatmeal, in my defense here i have a 4 year old son and i have to get up around 8 and get him ready and me ready and take him to day care and go to work. Plus i work out at night and dont get to bed till usally 1 or so. snacks are usally chobani yogert, fruit, protien shakes, wheat thins, tuna through out the day. Lunch is usally a frozen dinner or a sandwitch usally all i have time for. dinner usally consists of whatever my wife makes usally chicken, pot roast meat loaf ext. Sometimes chicken enchiladas tacos. So i know my diet needs lots of work, i seem to be getting majority of my calories in my snacks and not my main meals themselfs. Im also looking at running a P-Mag or H-drol cycle here shortly but wanna get diet in check first. I have a mild case of gyno on one side and reccomandations as far as best AI on cycle to prevent it from getting worse? Any thoughts or pointers on a good bulk diet would be much appriciated

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.33%

Sorry but you training split is terrible and your diet needs a lot of work. This is why things arent working.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.71%

I understand that you have little time dude, but you need a lot of work in my opinion. Now im not the one to talk to about diets, my diets are very controversial, i eat 4000 cals, 280carbs 250 protein and 109 fats (on av) ... so people will destroy my diet as most of my protien isnt meat sources and its carb heavy, BUT it what ever works for you !

On the training side of things, i would personally go for training less during the week by combining body parts, giving you more time to prepare meals or more time with your kid.

For example.

Monday - Chest, Tricep, abs
    Tuesday - Rest
    Wednesday - Back, Bicep, Forearm, Abs
    Thursday - Rest
    Friday - Shoulders, Traps, Abs

Sat or Sun do legs, give yourself the option so you can work around spending time with the family.

As for the diet, you say you dont have time to eat a good breakfast, but why cant you just chuck a cup of oats in a bowl? with a chopped banana and wolf down a protein drink with it. same amount of time, maybe a minute more. Many more carbs and proteins.

Also use an hour on sunday to prepare, bag and freeze meals for the week, you dont want to ''snack'' you want to have planned out meals, eat ever 3 hours, protein rich (i would say 80% of the time carb heavy if you want to bulk, BUT many will tell me where to shove that opinion!)... if you don't have time to prepare chicken, stick 3 tins of tuna in a bowl and mix it together with some cucumber, and some wholemeal pasta, then separate it into bags of 100g, try and get 5/6 bags one for each day... sunday can be a 'cheat day' ...

Fail to plan, and plan to fail.

Its all about making it easier for yourself dude, i know you can do it. I was around 9 stone, now 11 stone 9 ... not a big guy at all, but! getting there and on the right road, you can get on that road too !

Ryan
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    36.55%

First of all, how long have you been bulking like this? Muscle doesn't come fast and if your looking for quick 10 lbs of muscle, then you better just quit and pick up chess or video games! Muscle is not easily earned, and you got to do everything you can to gain a few pounds of good quality muscle. With that said, you will not get far with that diet, people think it's all about training; well training is 30% of the equation but diet is 70%! <--- trying to make a point with that, it's not a fact just figure of speech. Your best gains will come from eating correctly for muscle growth. Cycles or pro-hormones?? Dude, you don't need that stuff especially when your diet is whack! Drugs are not the answer for you, you just need to step up and put in the work and I am sure you will be happy with your results! It's funny how people resort to drugs instead of taking the time to actually do things right, it's like they think it's a magic pill or easier way out; in which it is, but if your diets lagging then so will you on these drugs. You have a mild case of gyno man, you don't need to touch that stuff unless you want Orangutan titties! In all seriousness, work on your diet, train hard and then post in about 6 months and I am sure you will be happy with your progress! Good luck!
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.42%

Need a better routine, without a doubt.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    70.54%

4-5x a week. High protein, complex carbs, moderate fat. Play with carbs accordingly. LIFT HEAVY! You will bloat and appear fat, but thats ok if you are truly "bulking"
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.42%

Agreed. Lifting heavy is best
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.33%

If your eating enough and not gaining what you want it's more than likely your training, i would give starting strength a try it's a nice program.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'5"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    93.16%

Thanks for all the feedback guys just to respond to a few things, no i havent always bulked this way my diet used to be alot better but time gets tuff with a 4 year old and a baby on the way, breakfest is probably the meal i struggle with most. Collateral i did like what you said about the oatmeal and a protien shake i do in fact use that sometimes but probably should incorperate that alot more. When is the best time a day to intake the most calories and carbs if i work out at night? Does working out at night better or worse in some of your guys opinion? I kinda dont really have a choice there but just couriouse on thoughts on that. I have always heard that combined trainning IE back, biceps chest, triceps was usally not preferred for bulking.. Whats your guys thoughts on cardio as far as bulking i hear alot of different opinions on that. Some say very minimal or not at all, others say moderate to keep body fat down.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.44%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

To be simple bud. Heavy compound lifts. When i squat, bench, clean and press, ect I do close to 10 working sets all sorts of rep ranges. I don't waste my time with cable curls, triceps kick backs, cable flys, ect. Especially not for building. Those are left to even out later.

Clean your diet up. 20 lbs over a month won't look good. Try 1 lb of lean muscle per 10-15 days. Bulking should not be an excuse to eat fast food. Unless your a " hard gainer". Figure YOUR metabolism out.
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.2%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Putting on muscle mass takes 100% training 100% diet and 100% rest. If any of these are lacking you won't progress like you should. If your having trouble with diet or training there are always people you can talk to that can point you in the right direction.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

good advice. here is my 2cents on training. your doing too much and its a crap routine. do a 3 day routine to give your body rest since you arent getting alot cause you are busy. something like 5x5 will put on mass and give you strength. cook our foods before you go to bed for the next day and take a lunch box with you all day and stuff food in there like chicken, protein power, boiled egg whites, rice, pasta, bagels... etc. if you want to grow, this is what you have to do.

eat quality carbs. something that is easy and has 50g of carbs is a bagel. eat three of those a day plus your 3 main meals and snacks and u should have the amount of carbs you need.

add oats to your protein shake for needed carbs. when i bulk, i dont focus on protein intake. i focus on carb intake. when i cut or recomp, i focus on protein intake
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.42%

Great post ^
  14. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    good advice. here is my 2cents on training. your doing too much and its a crap routine. do a 3 day routine to give your body rest since you arent getting alot cause you are busy. something like 5x5 will put on mass and give you strength. cook our foods before you go to bed for the next day and take a lunch box with you all day and stuff food in there like chicken, protein power, boiled egg whites, rice, pasta, bagels... etc. if you want to grow, this is what you have to do.

eat quality carbs. something that is easy and has 50g of carbs is a bagel. eat three of those a day plus your 3 main meals and snacks and u should have the amount of carbs you need.

add oats to your protein shake for needed carbs. when i bulk, i dont focus on protein intake. i focus on carb intake. when i cut or recomp, i focus on protein intake
    Good points. The thing that you touched on and everyone else left out is sleep! You're not going to grow without it. You've got to get to bed earlier. I agree with less training also. Concentrate on compound lifts. Lift in a low rep range for strength for a while. Make sure your carb sources are good. I do the oats in my shakes thing too. No microwaved boxed food. That is garbage I wouldn't feed my dog. You'll live on it but you're not going to grow on it. You need food. Take one of those nights you're not in the gym now from the new 3 day split and cook everything for the week. (Make a mess of the kitchen and the pregnant wife will kill you. Just a heads up. )

Good luck!

Oh...and no, you don't need PH's. Protein. Maybe some creatine and preworkout if you need it and you probably do because you're tired. And, work your ass off!
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  158 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.42%

Good posts. Eat sleep train. Is all ya need.
  16. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    18.11%

Quote Originally Posted by R1balla

Agreed. Def use whole wheat bagels and pasta though. Bleached flour is really bad for you
    you can lead a man to knowledge, but you cant make him think.
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.4%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Here are some basics for hard gainers:

http://**********************/blog/2011/06/30/380/
    NeedToBuildMuscle Representative / PowerChews Representative
    AgeForce Representative - www.ageforce.com for hGH Patches!
    Send me a PM with any questions about products & discount codes
  18. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.08%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

eat quality carbs, not sugars. eat more clean foods. more chicken, eggs, oatmeal...etc
  19. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.27%

I just got a ton of good advise on this thread you guys are awesome.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-05-2010, 05:00 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 09:24 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 08:56 AM
  5. BULK v Cut, cutbulk bulkcut bulk bulk bulk!!!
    By polski_69 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 06:19 PM