Cheat or no cheat?

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
Hi fellas, just wanted to make a quick reference for good food thread ,for those nutritionally challenged- like myself- i will use this often and hope other can get info using this thread .
The idea is to list a suspect food and somebody with knowledge will say either cheat ( no good) or no cheat (good ) if something is a cheat please suggest a replacement food and if possible- tell why it's a cheat food.

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
Let's start with steak or shrimp quesadilla cheat or no cheat?

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Do what I do, if your going to cheat go big or go home I'm talking about her, her sister, best friend whoever cooks the best LOL.

Honestly how bad do you want the results? I cheat with my favorite chips, ice cream or a few pieces of bread. Right now to satisfy my sweet tooth I drink Peach Tea Lit-Up so it depends one what you like. Hell if you ask my wife she'd tell ya I cheat all the time LOL.

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Steak is cheating? My interns family owns a butcher shop and I have a fridge in the garage full of steaks although I'm trying to stop eating red meat. :/

Anyway back on track, are you Carb sensitive? For some eating carbs, salt and sugar are not a big deal but for me its murder on my diet. How do you personally respond to these?

trulordd

Awards
For me, quesadillas loaded with fresh veggies and lean steak or shrimp is NOT a cheat

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
Steak is cheating? My interns family owns a butcher shop and I have a fridge in the garage full of steaks although I'm trying to stop eating red meat. :/

Anyway back on track, are you Carb sensitive? For some eating carbs, salt and sugar are not a big deal but for me its murder on my diet. How do you personally respond to these?
I think I respond well to most foods but just trying to b as clean as I can since I'm prone to cheat but trying to taper my self down . Just using this as a guide, please list any suspect foods or also post any good recipes u want other to try.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do what I do, if your going to cheat go big or go home I'm talking about her, her sister, best friend whoever cooks the best LOL.

Honestly how bad do you want the results? I cheat with my favorite chips, ice cream or a few pieces of bread. Right now to satisfy my sweet tooth I drink Peach Tea Lit-Up so it depends one what you like. Hell if you ask my wife she'd tell ya I cheat all the time LOL.
this^^^^^ ;)

WhatsaRoid?

WhatsaRoid?

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I stay away from carbs on weekdays and consider carbing on weekends my cheat meals. I Carb cycle and do lots of cardio though so if your not that sensitive then you could get away with low carbing I'm sure. I'm on a cut tho when I'm bulking complex carbs and grains are my food of choice.

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
Oh jeez -- I'll answer the entire thread for you without anyone having to ask anything: Processed foods = bad. Stick with simple ingredients, fresh vegetables, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, raw almonds, plain oats, relatively few fruits, steak, tuna, chicken, turkey, etc. Measure your calories and macronutrients, eat those foods 90% of the time, and you will get the results you want. The other 10% of the time, enjoy life and eat whatever you enjoy.

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
Oh jeez -- I'll answer the entire thread for you without anyone having to ask anything: Processed foods = bad. Stick with simple ingredients, fresh vegetables, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, raw almonds, plain oats, relatively few fruits, steak, tuna, chicken, turkey, etc. Measure your calories and macronutrients, eat those foods 90% of the time, and you will get the results you want. The other 10% of the time, enjoy life and eat whatever you enjoy.
Was hoping to keep this thread going but if that's the definitive answer what else can be said? Good advice thank you! Btw are weight gainers good meal replacements or not?

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
isay the quesadilla is a cheat unless u are making it urself and knowexactly whats going into it, becuase out at restaurants those quesadillas are going to be loaded with cheese and the tortillas are always processed white flour, at home u can use low fat cheeses , add extra veggies and even use wheat tortillas which i have done and its prety damn good............Make ur own weight gainer, oats pb, whey, EVOO, cheaper and much cleaner calories, none of that malto and otheer crap they through in those gainers.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Everyone has their own deff of whats clean or not. Just look at the paleo guys.

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
isay the quesadilla is a cheat unless u are making it urself and knowexactly whats going into it, becuase out at restaurants those quesadillas are going to be loaded with cheese and the tortillas are always processed white flour, at home u can use low fat cheeses , add extra veggies and even use wheat tortillas which i have done and its prety damn good............Make ur own weight gainer, oats pb, whey, EVOO, cheaper and much cleaner calories, none of that malto and otheer crap they through in those gainers.
I hear u, I just use the gainer to get in extra cals when wrking or on the move, easier than cooking.

VeeSix

Awards
I've found that a regulated healthy diet 6 days a week followed by 1 day of semi-regulated (i.e. have a chocolate bar, and a bit of junk food once). It is important psychologically, but also I believe biologically, as it stops your body from thinking it will not get any fat - this is a dangerous place to be as it will instantly hoard fat if it believes it won't be getting any more.

This has also had theories regarding throwing the metabolism out of complacency and keeps it ever changing and active. Very important for dealing with fat loss and handling the odd snack-food.

You have to be realistic, and nobody can eat healthy 365 days per year without a treat or snack; you'll go insane!

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Since this thread is posted up under "BULKING" I'm going to go ahead and say it, NOTHING is cheating when your bulking (Unless your just eating candy all the time). Do whatever you possibly have to do to gain weight believe me it works REALLY... WORKS. As long as you're getting your calories in and sufficient protein in, i feel that's all that matters and even at that i focus more on protein/carbs. I put on 70-80lbs over last winter (6-7months) on my bulk drug-free, no PH's or test boosters. Just tons and tons of food and heavy training. The fat, if you look at it this way, is the sacrifice you made to get 10x stronger and put on more mass then someone who ate way less. Not every ounce of weight you put on is going to be fat either. So i guess a "cheat" food that has barely any nutritional value would be candy but that's STILL carbs that could be used post workout to restore glycogen. See where i'm getting at? Anything can be used if in the right time and way. Look at Lee Priest, he would gain ridiculous amounts of weight in the off season and even at 5' 4" he would consistently gain 10lbs+ a year of muscle which is INSANE for someone that short!! Hope this helps you out, i'm not trying to bash anything just inform you anything can help you get to your goals!

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
Hey no problem, I hear you on that, there's so many theories that's the reason for this thread.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Hey no problem, I hear you on that, there's so many theories that's the reason for this thread.
I think vitamin and mineral wise, foods that are organic are superior it's just not extremely convenient for me :\

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've found that a regulated healthy diet 6 days a week followed by 1 day of semi-regulated (i.e. have a chocolate bar, and a bit of junk food once). It is important psychologically, but also I believe biologically, as it stops your body from thinking it will not get any fat - this is a dangerous place to be as it will instantly hoard fat if it believes it won't be getting any more.
what would make you think dietary fat is a bad thing?

VeeSix

Awards
what would make you think dietary fat is a bad thing?
I've been on a leaning up/fat loss routine for a few months and have virtually removed all fat from my diet apart from one thing I have after some HIIT - typically a chocolate bar etc; something that will restore blood sugar and will be instantly devoured by the peaked metabolism.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been on a leaning up/fat loss routine for a few months and have virtually removed all fat from my diet apart from one thing I have after some HIIT - typically a chocolate bar etc; something that will restore blood sugar and will be instantly devoured by the peaked metabolism.
Terrible idea there, you'd be better off getting rid of carbohydrates. What ever gave you the idea that was healthy? The body's hormones are created from saturated fat, too low a saturated fat intake means less testosterone created.... Are your fingernails cracking and your hair texture a bit off yet?

VeeSix

Awards
Terrible idea there, you'd be better off getting rid of carbohydrates. What ever gave you the idea that was healthy? The body's hormones are created from saturated fat, too low a saturated fat intake means less testosterone created.... Are your fingernails cracking and your hair texture a bit off yet?
Lol, you don't realise how much fat was in my diet previously - KFC, McDonalds etc nearly every day.

I simply do not have that food - I have a modest amount of fat but through conventional means - protein shakes (2 x a day, usually have 5g fat in) made with semi-skimmed milk; most meals are healthy, but the odd family meal will consist of general things - gravy(!), roast potatoes, etc which all can potentially harbour fat.

As I said, it is about moderation and not going OTT on either side of the fence.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol, you don't realise how much fat was in my diet previously - KFC, McDonalds etc nearly every day.

I simply do not have that food - I have a modest amount of fat but through conventional means - protein shakes (2 x a day, usually have 5g fat in) made with semi-skimmed milk; most meals are healthy, but the odd family meal will consist of general things - gravy(!), roast potatoes, etc which all can potentially harbour fat.

As I said, it is about moderation and not going OTT on either side of the fence.
If you aren't getting 70+ grams of fat a day, you are only hurting yourself. Eating fats doesn't add fat, its healthier than eating the same amount of calories from carbohydrates. Going from eating like crap one way to eating like crap the other way isn't all that positive of a choice. I can find you threads from a few guys as young as 20 who crashed their endocrine system by going too low fat for too long.

VeeSix

Awards
If you aren't getting 70+ grams of fat a day, you are only hurting yourself. Eating fats doesn't add fat, its healthier than eating the same amount of calories from carbohydrates. Going from eating like crap one way to eating like crap the other way isn't all that positive of a choice. I can find you threads from a few guys as young as 20 who crashed their endocrine system by going too low fat for too long.
It's alright, I exaggerated my fat removal to emphasise the 'treat' aspect of my view on the metabolism. Needless to say, my diet is flexible, yet massively more moderated than how it used to be. No more processed food or junk food at all. Although I do fancy a pizza... ;)

owlicks

owlicks

Awards
It's alright, I exaggerated my fat removal to emphasise the 'treat' aspect of my view on the metabolism. Needless to say, my diet is flexible, yet massively more moderated than how it used to be. No more processed food or junk food at all. Although I do fancy a pizza... ;)
Make sure you heed EasyEJL's advice. You NEED healthy fat in a proper cutting routine. Good sources are nuts, natural peanut butter, and olive oil, along with the fats that you will get in meat and fish.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Particularly when talking about diet, accuracy is important. "Cutting out virtually all fats" is a strong term (and very bad idea). Although you have to lose more volume of food by dropping carbs its far more valuable to keep appropriate fat intake. There are essential amino acids, and essential fatty acids, there are no essential carbohydrates.

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
I guess it's like this: nobody's perfect but just try to eat as good( clean) as u can and u should be doing good, can we get some recipes going here, quick little 4-500 cal meals, on the go, and finger food please , I need more ideas getting bored.

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
Just bought some Russian 5000 weight gainer, anybody heard of this? It says 5000 cals per serving , but when I look at label it says 5 scoops in 1 gal milk?? Is this correct?

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Just bought some Russian 5000 weight gainer, anybody heard of this? It says 5000 cals per serving , but when I look at label it says 5 scoops in 1 gal milk?? Is this correct?
That'd be accurate, a gallon of whole milk has about 2400-2500 calories plus the Russian 5000 has 2600 calories in a serving. That's pretty awesome too bad there's only 3 servings :\

etoks13

Awards
Its a pretty good product, Past few months i have been using Champion Heavyweight Gainer 900 Cookies & Cream - 7 Lb cant go wrong for only $23

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
Its a pretty good product, Past few months i have been using Champion Heavyweight Gainer 900 Cookies & Cream - 7 Lb cant go wrong for only $23
I'm trying to go the cheapest route possible and so far i don't know if anything can beat GOMAD, $23 is really cheap for that much gainer though. I used Muscle Juice 2544 for a long time but i never thought about just having a gallon of milk a day i mean $2 you get 2600 calories (2800-3000 if you get chocolate) so imagine for $23 in milk you'd have about 28,000 calories worth instead of 12,600 calories from the tub of weight gainer. (You get roughly 2.5x more for the same exact price probably a little less protein though, You DO get more carbs and protein with gainer! Milk just has more fat) If i knew this last year it would have saved me over half of what i paid for weight gainers and i STILL needed milk to mix in with it. I've got a strategy for this winters bulk! :D

etoks13

Awards
if money is a problem easily go with whole milk, I remember I used to do the gomad during a bulk, I just remember first time I did it. I was used to having that much dairy in a day. puked the whole gallon up

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
if money is a problem easily go with whole milk, I remember I used to do the gomad during a bulk, I just remember first time I did it. I was used to having that much dairy in a day. puked the whole gallon up
I just want the money that I've saved for this bulk to be well spent, I start college again so i won't have a lot of time to work. :( That sucks i love milk a ton but sometimes it gives me gas for hours... Gonna suck on that part! But in order to get the cals i need (5000+) i have no problem dealing the sides.

etoks13

Awards
I'm in the same boat bro, College is coming up in a few weeks and that 45k a year need all the money i can save

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
You gotta tell pm me where to buy that!

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I'm in the same boat bro, College is coming up in a few weeks and that 45k a year need all the money i can save
Yeah money is precious :(

I think i'm gonna take a chance and just use chocolate milk, It's got more calories and is the same price. I mean i'm going to be training my ass off so much, is the high fructose corn syrup really going to have that much of an impact on me if i'm training 6x a week/2-3 hours per session? I wish i could know!

Daddydee

Daddydee

Awards
That'd be accurate, a gallon of whole milk has about 2400-2500 calories plus the Russian 5000 has 2600 calories in a serving. That's pretty awesome too bad there's only 3 servings :\
I didn't know that It would be a gal. With champion nutrition 1200 I got 3600 cals with 6 cups of milk (three servings )

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I didn't know that It would be a gal. With champion nutrition 1200 I got 3600 cals with 6 cups of milk (three servings )
Yeah i mean you probably could mix it with less but it'll probably be very very thick. I guess they expect you to drink the gallon of milk in a few days or so.