Grocery store meat counter bulk discount?

Bilskirnir

Awards
Anyone here have success with getting a good discount for buying a lot in bulk at a grocery store meat counter? Only places around me I know of that have the meat counters are Smiths, Vons and Whole Foods. I typically can grab beef for $2.50 a lb (80/20) or sometimes Smiths has 85/15 for the same price. Next trip I was going to see if I could get any deal if I bought 15 lbs at once, I'd be willing to buy more than that even. I just wanted to see if anyone had luck with doing this. Chicken I get cheap already at <$2 a lb for breasts. Mostly trying to get the best deal on beef since it is a major source of my protein intake and typically I eat a pound a day so any bit saved helps considering my hours at work are very unstable right now.

mich29

mich29

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd try mom and pop places,farmers they should be willing to work with you

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
lol this dude is serious LMAO

talk to a manager- but im guessing ur going to have to buy ALOT

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get shares of cattle from a farmer.. you best bet is to find a farmer.

Bilskirnir

Awards
Not sure of any small local places around me but I will see if I can find any. Live in the desert so not really any farms around.

I don't get what was so "LMAO" about it, just looking for feedback since I could make use of buying in bulk amounts...

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
eatwild.com

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
I get a great discount on Bison meat @ a neighborhood meat market. You just gotta talk to the owner and tell him each week or every other day you are going to purchase so-and-so amount of meat and work out a deal

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
Hmmmm... never thought of dealing with a farmer straight up. I like it though - make a deal and cut out the middle man.

I just look for deals aT BJ's/Casco/Stop&Shop. S&S will usually have some lean cut for a good price but nothing around $2.50!

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
Hmmmm... never thought of dealing with a farmer straight up. I like it though - make a deal and cut out the middle man.

I just look for deals aT BJ's/Casco/Stop&Shop. S&S will usually have some lean cut for a good price but nothing around $2.50!
Not necessarily a farmer. It cAn just bs a mom and pop shop "private" meat business. Pretty much anything other than going to commercialized places

Bilskirnir

Awards
There are a couple local meat markets I was able to find near me so I might check it an see. I stocked up this week at Smiths though because of a sale, got about 14 lbs of 85/15 beef for about $38. Very good deal and doubt I'll find any better.

HamrphisT

HamrphisT

Awards
buy a whole cow from a sale barn and get er butchered.... save a s***load, hope you have a massive freezer tho lol.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
There are mobile butchers for hire. Call em up and they come to your house with a mobile butcher kitchen. Kinda wild