Lower abdominal workout

1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Lower abdominal workout

Hey there... I'll keep this quick no b.s... Did body fat test, says I'm at 6.5% body fat.. Got my top 4 abs, not bottom two, just got a new diet but looking for some tips/excersises for lower abs to work the lower gut.. Every piece if info will be appreciated. I want to work the lower ab muscles to burn a bit of fat from there and also get the abs physically bigger/defined.. Don't say cardio as I'm well aware about cardio, thx

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  187 lbs.
    Answers

Not sure why you posted this in the "Bulking" section but to answer your question hanging crutches are really good for your lower abs.
  3. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ih8uselessppl View Post
    Hey there... I'll keep this quick no b.s... Did body fat test, says I'm at 6.5% body fat.. Got my top 4 abs, not bottom two, just got a new diet but looking for some tips/excersises for lower abs to work the lower gut.. Every piece if info will be appreciated. I want to work the lower ab muscles to burn a bit of fat from there and also get the abs physically bigger/defined.. Don't say cardio as I'm well aware about cardio, thx
    Working your lower abdominals is not going " to burn a bit of fat from there and also get the abs physically bigger/defined" - if you want to lose the fat from there, then at 6.5% bodyfat (if that was indeed accurate - we all know how INaccurate these measurements can be) your focus needs to be on your NUTRITION. If you're already lean enough, then you need to build the muscle mass up there. As far as seeing your abs, genetics will play some role here as well, and some people will only see four abs, whilst others can get that 6-pack look, and others even reveal eight bricks. Cardio is IRrelevant for fat loss or abdominal development. You also work your ENTIRE abdominals whenever you do and "ab" exercise - just how much to each section depends on the exercise, and the best ones for your "lower" abdominals are hanging straight-leg raises and variations of them.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Great advice, Rosie.

I think actually building abs up is one of the things a lot of people overlook. I'm at 19-20% body fat and still have the separation down the middle for the first 4 abs and can see them pretty visibly (not good for my standards, but considering the high bf%, it's not bad). Weighted cable crunches are probably my favorite ab mass-builder. If you do them properly, you can hit lower abs pretty decent. Hanging leg raises, as mentioned, and reverse crunches on a decline bench are good, as well. But I definitely agree that building them up big is what really allows them to show off.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  5. The Female Terminator
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'1"  121 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Great advice, Rosie.

I think actually building abs up is one of the things a lot of people overlook. I'm at 19-20% body fat and still have the separation down the middle for the first 4 abs and can see them pretty visibly (not good for my standards, but considering the high bf%, it's not bad). Weighted cable crunches are probably my favorite ab mass-builder. If you do them properly, you can hit lower abs pretty decent. Hanging leg raises, as mentioned, and reverse crunches on a decline bench are good, as well. But I definitely agree that building them up big is what really allows them to show off.
    If you can see your top four abdominals with some separation, there is no way you are 19-20% bodyfat, more likely 14-15% bodyfat, but also depends on height, since taller people at higher body compositions look leaner than a shorter individual with the same body composition.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  228 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    If you can see your top four abdominals with some separation, there is no way you are 19-20% bodyfat, more likely 14-15% bodyfat, but also depends on height, since taller people at higher body compositions look leaner than a shorter individual with the same body composition.

~Rosie~
    Haha I just hold it horribly.

6'1" (closer to 6') and ~236-240 lbs

It's significantly more around the lower stomach, sides, back.
    Psalm 34:10 - "The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing."
    EvoMuse Rep | This is what we've been workin on... | Inspire to Evolve
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.
    Answers

BF tests arent good unless you have a doctor do it lol. Men hold more fat around their stomach naturally so it will skew your results. My calipers say something like 14-18% but I can see all 6 abs. Mirror works better
  8. Registered User
    Answers

I agree with the beast above. I think that most people don't pay as much attention to abs as they should just because they think if they can't see them then why work them. If you hit some lower leg raises then that should take care of your problem. That's probably one of my favorite exercises cuz it always makes my whole core sore afterwards
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.
    Answers

i have the same problem and the thing that got my bottom two to finally show was getting extremely lean and doing all kinds of variations of ab workouts, including obliques.
  10. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MidwestBeast View Post
    Great advice, Rosie.I think actually building abs up is one of the things a lot of people overlook. I'm at 19-20% body fat and still have the separation down the middle for the first 4 abs and can see them pretty visibly (not good for my standards, but considering the high bf%, it's not bad). Weighted cable crunches are probably my favorite ab mass-builder. If you do them properly, you can hit lower abs pretty decent. Hanging leg raises, as mentioned, and reverse crunches on a decline bench are good, as well. But I definitely agree that building them up big is what really allows them to show off.
    Hip raises also work well once u get the form down
  11. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by votum View Post
    BF tests arent good unless you have a doctor do it lol. Men hold more fat around their stomach naturally so it will skew your results. My calipers say something like 14-18% but I can see all 6 abs. Mirror works better
    Agreed. I went on a cut 4 weeks ago and lost just over 2 inches off my waist and the clinic that used a fat caliper on me only showed a .6% drop! Bull crap! You dont lose 2 inches off ur waiste line and no drop in bodyfat! I stopped using fat % after that. From now on, I use the mirror when prepping
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Answers

According to the ACSM an trainer/clinician must perform readings on 500 different individuals before they can be considered a reliable professional with the calipers.

The bioimpedence machines have a huge variability. You need to come in fasted, hydrated, and at least 12 hours removed from exercise to get a decent reading.

I've talked about the common notion of ab training and how it is working the hip flexors predominant and actually leading to sore backs and weaker abs...and that's all I'll say on that issue.

If you want to speed up your results, consider running some sprints.

Br
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Upper/Lower workout
    By doctacarta in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 05:16 PM
  2. Anyone know of a really good abdominal workout?
    By mikethebeast in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2009, 04:36 AM
  3. HELP : Lower chest workout !!
    By mdtech123 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 08:43 AM
  4. Lower Abdominal swelling on cycle
    By Anarchy939 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 07:15 PM
  5. Replies: 3