horrible morning, good workout, no food...

mylo

mylo

Awards
so last night i had trouble falling asleep, knocked out at 3 and woke up at around 11, the time we go to the gym...

my friend/spotter is a cop and his shift is at around 3 i think so he has to get to the gym exactly at 11, anyway i ended up having 5g of creatine in water for breakfast... regardless i had a GREAT workout, i did bench and wide-grip pull ups, in about an hour and 30 minutes we left, had a protein shake about 30 minutes after.

i know that working out on an empty stomach is horrible, but is it really counter-productive, would there be any problem with this morning's work out? thanks...

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
nothing wrong with working out fasted... some guys do it on the regular.

chem.e

chem.e

Awards
nothing wrong with working out fasted... some guys do it on the regular.
Wouldn't working out in a fasted state promote the breaking down of muscle for energy...instead of the nutrients you just ingested?

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
Wouldn't working out in a fasted state promote the breaking down of muscle for energy...instead of the nutrients you just ingested?
if you keep it short and sweet, doubtful

i like depleting my glycogen stores(fasted workouts) and then gorging myself after i lift...
id stay away from long distance running or cardio while fasted tho... just my opinion

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
go check out leangains.com and intermittent fasting... lots of guys doing it and having great gains!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so last night i had trouble falling asleep, knocked out at 3 and woke up at around 11, the time we go to the gym...

my friend/spotter is a cop and his shift is at around 3 i think so he has to get to the gym exactly at 11, anyway i ended up having 5g of creatine in water for breakfast... regardless i had a GREAT workout, i did bench and wide-grip pull ups, in about an hour and 30 minutes we left, had a protein shake about 30 minutes after.

i know that working out on an empty stomach is horrible, but is it really counter-productive, would there be any problem with this morning's work out? thanks...
Whoever told you that "working out on an empty stomach is horrible" has NO idea what they are talking about. It doesn't have to be counter-productive at all, either - whether or not it is is very dependent on the individual, their goals and needs. I personally train (and note that "working out" and "training" are two very DIFFERENT things!) fasted, first thing; have done it for years, and NEVER had an issue achieving ANY body or performance goal that I set myself. I also trained unfasted (and fasted) for years prior to that, so yes, I CAN say that whether I train fasted or not makes NO difference for me, and I PREFER FASTED training, my training sessions lasting anywhere from 1-4 hours.

Not at all. If your nutrition throughout the day is on target for your goals, there is no reason why you should break down muscle at all. If you DO lose muscle mass, then you're NOT eating enough to cover your energy needs.

~Rosie~

mylo

mylo

Awards
haha, that's all i needed to hear, and yeah, i do eat well (light meals high in protein every 3 hours). thanks for quelling my ocd :biggthumpup: