Something sweet PWO?

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
A friend of mine recommended that immediately after working out I should try eating something sweet, like a candy bar, in order to get your insulin levels spiked PWO. It seems like it would make sense right before your PWO shake. Does anyone do this routinely or have any thoughts on its potential effectiveness?

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I have 2 scoops of Orange Cell-Tech it has 75g dextrose (sugar) but also has BCAA's, Glutamine, Creatine, Arganine and a lot of other things. Tastes AWESOME a lot of people complain about it's cost but honestly I've taken it for almost a straight year. It makes a TON of sense to have something sugary PWO because besides the insulin levels you're in a somewhat depleted state (based on intensity and duration of your workouts) If i don't have something PWO i literally will just fall asleep when i get home haha. I take 2-3 scoops protein in water as soon as i get home as well after i have my PWO drink. If i eventually get the coin i want to try having AI's RecoverPRO while i'm training since my sessions are relatively long (Around 2 hours). Hope this helps! :D

**BTW**

You don't have to buy something you can honestly just bring some kool-aid (if you wanted) and stir in some creatine if your on a budget. If you use a candy bar that'll still work if you really really want one. Hell I've even heard of a guy having a bottle of coke PWO haha.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I have 2 scoops of Orange Cell-Tech it has 75g dextrose (sugar) but also has BCAA's, Glutamine, Creatine, Arganine and a lot of other things. Tastes AWESOME a lot of people complain about it's cost but honestly I've taken it for almost a straight year. It makes a TON of sense to have something sugary PWO because besides the insulin levels you're in a somewhat depleted state (based on intensity and duration of your workouts) If i don't have something PWO i literally will just fall asleep when i get home haha. I take 2-3 scoops protein in water as soon as i get home as well after i have my PWO drink. If i eventually get the coin i want to try having AI's RecoverPRO while i'm training since my sessions are relatively long (Around 2 hours). Hope this helps! :D
It does make sense to replenish your glucose levels PWO as well. I was thinking about trying this theory out and seeing if I feel any difference. Currently PWO I will either have a whey shake, or protein packed whole foods. I know the whole foods take longer to digest, but I am trying a more whole food protein based diet as opposed to powders. I might throw a snickers bar in immediately after workout as I drive home and once I get there do my normal routine.

The benefits of spiking insulin levels are increased GH production, and replenishment of the cells, if I am not mistaken correct?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Actually my brother would eat gummy bears/worms on the way home then have his shake. He even did this on cuts and got really lean. He swore by it and it seemed to work well. It also helps keep you from going crazy while dieting hard. It's a nice little break.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
It does make sense to replenish your glucose levels PWO as well. I was thinking about trying this theory out and seeing if I feel any difference. Currently PWO I will either have a whey shake, or protein packed whole foods. I know the whole foods take longer to digest, but I am trying a more whole food protein based diet as opposed to powders. I might throw a snickers bar in immediately after workout as I drive home and once I get there do my normal routine.

The benefits of spiking insulin levels are increased GH production, and replenishment of the cells, if I am not mistaken correct?
I believe so too, this thread has a study verifying it :D
http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/diet-bodybuilding/insulin-spike-increases-igf-1-decreases-cortisosl-pwo-619916.html

purebred

if someone wanted something sweet PWO, why not just throw in some dextrose to a PWO shake? For extra calories you could use whole milk to mix it all up with, too. I'm sure there's enough sugar in a shake made with whole milk, a sweet flavored protein powder (e.g. vanilla, strawberry, banana) and an 35-50g of dextrose.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Purebred I see your point and that would be just fine. By why not take advantage of the situation and have a little candy or something. I rarely eat any candy pop ect. But if I do it's post work out. I have a clear conscience if nothing else. If it helps build a little extra muscle awesome.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
just read that. interesting. makes sense. what would you opinions be for someone on a low-carb diet to do something like this pwo?
I've read that if your on a restricted carb diet, That a majority of the carbs your eating should be eaten PWO. Makes sense to me because i would either need carbs after a workout or a nap :D

purebred

Purebred I see your point and that would be just fine. By why not take advantage of the situation and have a little candy or something. I rarely eat any candy pop ect. But if I do it's post work out. I have a clear conscience if nothing else. If it helps build a little extra muscle awesome.
Sure, if you're approaching it as an opportunity to take advantage of and consume cheat foods then sure but don't most diets suggest you have a cheat day anyway? Eat clean all week and one day out of the weekend eat whatever you want. If you're training hard and consistently hitting PRs, (not to mention squatting 3x a week helps as well) your body will compensate.

Not to mention all the chemically enhanced processed nonsense contained in those candy bars. You're 6 feet and 200+ lbs with a seemingly low BF%. Cheating one day out of the weekend is not going to massacre all the gains you've made up until now. That's not the way the body works.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
I've read that if your on a restricted carb diet, That a majority of the carbs your eating should be eaten PWO. Makes sense to me because i would either need carbs after a workout or a nap :D
makes sense to me too. im sometimes hesistant to take in carbs post-wo because sometimes my workouts are late, making dinner late, and i try not to take in carbs at night. but im not going to be so hesitant, especially if i had a goo workout.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Sure, if you're approaching it as an opportunity to take advantage of and consume cheat foods then sure but don't most diets suggest you have a cheat day anyway? Eat clean all week and one day out of the weekend eat whatever you want. If you're training hard and consistently hitting PRs, (not to mention squatting 3x a week helps as well) your body will compensate.

Not to mention all the chemically enhanced processed nonsense contained in those candy bars. You're 6 feet and 200+ lbs with a seemingly low BF%. Cheating one day out of the weekend is not going to massacre all the gains you've made up until now. That's not the way the body works.
Cheat days are only going to help you. The question is not about cheating on your diet by eating something sweet PWO. It's more about the potential benefits of the high glucose consumption right after your work out to spike your insulin levels.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It depends on workout length and how many workouts per day. But you can refill glycogen in 24 hrs.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i like chocolate milk and a bagel. 30 min later solid food. an hour later a shake.

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
Just to clarify: something sweet immediately after working out will spike ur insulin levels. Causing better delivery (to the muscles and not to fat) of the foods taken in after that? Is that the theory here or am I totally not getting it?

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Just to clarify: something sweet immediately after working out will spike ur insulin levels. Causing better delivery (to the muscles and not to fat) of the foods taken in after that? Is that the theory here or am I totally not getting it?
yes

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
so basically sugar is the target, any guidelines as to how much? im not that into sweets, so i dont really have any candies in mind that i'd like to use. im thinking a lolli pop, or sumthin? do u have any reccomendations?

purebred

so basically sugar is the target, any guidelines as to how much? im not that into sweets, so i dont really have any candies in mind that i'd like to use. im thinking a lolli pop, or sumthin? do u have any reccomendations?
LOL it's gonna be a trend. I can see it: grown-ass men 250 lb. men walking out of the gym looking ripped and vascular from their workout having just hit a squat PR of 550, dealift of 805 and bench of 420lbs.......

...with a Jolly Rancher in their mouth.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
PWO i usually want to sleep a good few hours after the workout because i eat a few big meals and all i want to do is relax and watch tv :)
Favorite PWO meal: Del Taco Macho Beef Burrito 1000 calories 110 carbs and around 60 grams of protein And a protein shake in milk! Guys at the gym absolutely hate me because the more mass you have the more calories you can still get away with when dieting. I take full advantage of it :D

808rebel

808rebel

Awards
LOL it's gonna be a trend. I can see it: grown-ass men 250 lb. men walking out of the gym looking ripped and vascular from their workout having just hit a squat PR of 550, dealift of 805 and bench of 420lbs.......

...with a Jolly Rancher in their mouth.
lol. i was thinking about jolly ranchers too. my roommate has em sitting on the counter and they look pretty tempting. would 1 jolly rancher suffice for an insulin spike? or maybe 2 or 3? im just looking for a ballpark as to how much sugar to take in.

purebred

check the nutritional information of one jolly rancher. Why don't you just buy glucose if you're looking for a high GI carb to spike insulin? Candies are highly processed, refined products. Just do:

water, whole milk, or soy milk
1.5 scoops protein powder
50g glucose (i.e. dextrose)

I'm currently taking AST's DGC (Dextrorotary Glucose Crystals) PWO with my protein shake in soy milk to experiment. I'm used to using oatmeal and about 1/2 a banana as carb sources PWO but oatmeal keeps me full too long and I'm bulking. You don't have to go with AST's dextrose. Just buy it on-line. It's dirt cheap. It may also be listed as 'corn sugar'.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
You bring up great points purebred. My cheat days are usually leg days and I eat as much as I can get. I always eat high protein those are the foods I enjoy anyways. Your right about not making a big difference in the long run. It just is easier for me to have a cheat meal post heavy leg work out. It is more for mental reasons than anything. I also do the chocolate milk for protein. It is a wonderful trick. I don't want to seem like I am endorsing candy or anything and I actually cheat very little and am very serious about diet. I usually use fruit post work out for my " sugar" and some say that is not good to do. Fruit is my candy but I have seen different methods work for other people.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
rilose from protein factory

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
Any studies to back up any of the claims behind rilose? 4.99 for a lb. ain't cheap. lol
Rice digests better than corn that is my reason for using it. Also I do not get sick at all from it vs a corn product. I consider it a cleaner carb. Also the results with it are less fat gain that dextorse

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess everyone forgot that glycogen and protein synthesis is an ongoing process. Insulin is the most oversimplified and misunderstood hormone out there.

purebred

I guess everyone forgot that glycogen and protein synthesis is an ongoing process. Insulin is the most oversimplified and misunderstood hormone out there.
In essence, type of carb really makes no difference then PWO, right? Oatmeal would most likely be a great choice as it is nutritionally superior to basically every carb discussed on this thread.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In essence, type of carb really makes no difference then PWO, right? Oatmeal would most likely be a great choice as it is nutritionally superior to basically every carb discussed on this thread.
I wouldn't say oats are necessarily a nutritionally superior food, but you have the right idea. This is another one of those areas that has been overcomplicated by looking at a few studies that were done on endurance athletes.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
That is how I feel mostly. Especially if bulking. Carbs are carbs and I don't over think them. Esp post work out on a bulk. They all provide an energy source for your body.

I admit cutting I feel differently.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
A good rule of thumb is to try to make sure there is little to no fat in your PWO meal and absolutely no milk. Fats and milk will slow down the digestion/effectiveness of your PWO meal.

You can use either high GI carbs or low GI carbs. For me it just depends on how hard I trained, what I trained, etc. For my more taxing days i'll do high GI PWO, and easier days i'll do low GI PWO.

Sometimes i'll do non-fat kids cereal PWO (also non HFCS) with two scoops whey
Sometimes i'll do oats with two scoops whey

Just depends.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A good rule of thumb is to try to make sure there is little to no fat in your PWO meal and absolutely no milk. Fats and milk will slow down the digestion/effectiveness of your PWO meal.

You can use either high GI carbs or low GI carbs. For me it just depends on how hard I trained, what I trained, etc. For my more taxing days i'll do high GI PWO, and easier days i'll do low GI PWO.

Sometimes i'll do non-fat kids cereal PWO (also non HFCS) with two scoops whey
Sometimes i'll do oats with two scoops whey

Just depends.
Conversely, adding fats prolongs the time that you will have nutrients and substrate in the bloodstream. Contrary to bro-belief, your glycogen levels are not going to be anywhere near depleted and, assuming you are eating properly, you will have amino acids available in the blood from previous meals.

purebred

I wouldn't say oats are necessarily a nutritionally superior food, but you have the right idea. This is another one of those areas that has been overcomplicated by looking at a few studies that were done on endurance athletes.
Well, I didn't mean to present the idea of oats being nutritionally superior over ALL foods but when compared to, say, dextrose, which is simply corn sugar, I bet the body appreciates it moreso.

The insulin thing is like the waxy maize starch situation. If I remember correctly, the study on insulin was done on endurance athletes, as you mentioned, who performed a workout fasted. Clearly different circumstances for someone who's lifting unless they are lifting fasted.
Conversely, adding fats prolongs the time that you will have nutrients and substrate in the bloodstream. Contrary to bro-belief, your glycogen levels are not going to be anywhere near depleted and, assuming you are eating properly, you will have amino acids available in the blood from previous meals.
This. I grow more and more tired of the broscience saying not to include fats in your PWO meal. Calories are calories. Eat as much as you can PWO to jumpstart your recovery. Whether it be a liter of whole milk, a shake then a meal after or just straight to a meal.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I don't disagree with that at all. I know that glycogen levels aren't going to be completely depleted, and that there are going to be plenty of aminos in the pool.

I've always thought this argument came down to supercompensation VS carbless PWO

So either eat carbs PWO, or don't. There isn't a middle road. Of course chose wisely and for your personal goals.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Personally for me I always use milk post work out. Sometimes if I got no protein I drink a half gallon of milk instead. I always have some almonds to. Everyone has their opinion but my goal is to feed my body and knowing my body it wants balanced healthy calories. And lots of them. I know the other methods of thinking but for me those are not what works well.

I have also seen research ( on my phone, maybe some one else can post it) about fats improving proteins synthesis. There is research to support most arguments take it how you will.

thetinyguy

thetinyguy

Awards
I'm usually so bloated from all the water i drink during a session that i have to wait a good hour after my workout shake *carbs+bcaas+protein* i swear i piss like 3 times in that 1 hour but then i go to town on some food. :D

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
I go to Work shortly after I eat my post work out meal. All the water I drink during my work out catches up. The first hour at work I piss like 3-5 times and I think coworkers poke fun. I know how you feel.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I've started eating 2 Little Debbies oatmeal pies right after working out. I will let you know if I see/feel any positive changes.

purebred

LOL...you should log it:

Thread titled: "Surfing Through The Sweets In Search Of The Over-analyzed Insulin Spike!"