Ground beef or ground turkey?

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.33%

Ground beef or ground turkey?

I have the Round steaks, maybe will buy some Flanks, but for easy quick food I can cook up ahead of time and nuke and have it still taste ok, I'm wanting to make up some burgers.

And if beef, which cut would be best. I usually only buy ground Turkey (85/15) at our house.

2. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'4"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.67%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Well, if you live closer to a Sams Club I'd say go for the Ground Steak...

I bought 90/10 Ground Beef in Burguer patties shape already for 2.90/lb, a damn steal, tastes great and it's pretty good for you.
    Androhard + Andromass Log
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/182038-so-i-decided.html
  3. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post
    I have the Round steaks, maybe will buy some Flanks, but for easy quick food I can cook up ahead of time and nuke and have it still taste ok, I'm wanting to make up some burgers.

And if beef, which cut would be best. I usually only buy ground Turkey (85/15) at our house.
    Turkey is generally leaner which just means less saturated fat. That becomes a big deal when eating it alot and trying to cut. Granted you could find leaner cuts but it gets pretty expensive. For ground beef, I generally get 93% lean. My turkey is close to that too but I'm not sure the exact amount.

I've done what you're talking about and it works well. Once a week I'll make up several patties. I've run the meat of choice through a cheap manual grinder and then mix in chives, spices, whatever to make it taste good without compromising the macros. Then form them into 4-6 oz patties and cook them most of the way. I'll steam some broccoli or cauliflower and then split them into small tupperware containers. Lunch/dinner is now done for the week. I'll mix up the spices for variety and just mark it on a piece of masking tape to see which ones I like or am in the mood for. Then I throw them in the freezer and take it out whenever I need it and just heat it up in the microwave. The moisture from the veggies keeps the meat nice and moist too.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions rep
    •   

4. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.22%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Just something to consider

http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.com/groundbeef.htm

there are other resources that detail it, but basically buying the $1/lb 70/30, brown it as crumbles, then pour boiled water over it to rinse off the fat, then drain it. You end up with leaner beef than the 93/7. Sure you lose some by the pound, but you lose under 30%
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.06%

Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post

there are other resources that detail it, but basically buying the $1/lb 70/30, brown it as crumbles, then pour boiled water over it to rinse off the fat, then drain it. You end up with leaner beef than the 93/7. Sure you lose some by the pound, but you lose under 30%
    that's interesting. One way to reduce fat content.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.24%

Quote Originally Posted by Pezz View Post

I use ground sirloin and mix it 50/50 with ground turkey. Makes a great tasting burger.
    Taste the rainbow.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.24%

Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    that's interesting. One way to reduce fat content.
    Just keep in mind that the fat you are washing down the drain... you paid for. Are you really saving that much?
    Taste the rainbow.
  8. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.17%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Fat won't kill you.
  9. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    23.22%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Yep, I can buy the 70/30 for $1 a pound, even the 80/20 is $2 a pound, and the 93/7 is around 3+. just do the math as %, if I get them both as lean as I can with rinsing (roughly 5% fat) 5lbs raw yields

70/30 - 75% - 3.75lbs for $5 = $1.33 per pound of net 95/5 beef
    80/20 - 85% - 4.25lbs for $10 = $2.35 per pound of net 95/5 beef
    93/75 - 95% - 4.75lbs for $15 = $3.16 per pound of net 95/5 beef

it just takes extra time to do it, but isn't bad if you do 5lbs at a time.
    This space for rent

Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  171 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.24%

Yep, I can buy the 70/30 for $1 a pound, even the 80/20 is $2 a pound, and the 93/7 is around 3+. just do the math as %, if I get them both as lean as I can with rinsing (roughly 5% fat) 5lbs raw yields

Good point but the quality is not there. I worked as a butcher for a while. The cheap ground beef is exactly that, scraps w/ a lot of junk fat trimmings thrown in. After that job, I just can't eat it. When working there, I would ground myself a front shoulder clod. The boneless 7 steak is cut from that, it is extremely lean and tender.
    Taste the rainbow.
  11. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.06%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    Fat won't kill you.
    Too much saturated fat will. It negatively impacts both HDL and LDL lipid values. Hence all the bypass surgeries and stints being used for clogged arteries, amongst many other well document health problems. There's quite a difference between saturated fats in controlled amounts and consistent excessive intake, just as there is a huge difference between saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and monounsaturated fats.
  12. Diamond Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    90.17%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranActivity RoyaltyPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kingjameskjf View Post
    Too much saturated fat will. It negatively impacts both HDL and LDL lipid values. Hence all the bypass surgeries and stints being used for clogged arteries, amongst many other well document health problems. There's quite a difference between saturated fats in controlled amounts and consistent excessive intake, just as there is a huge difference between saturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and monounsaturated fats.
    I really don't know about that. I see some people still follow the old "Fat is bad mantra". Low fat/high to moderate carbs will kill before fat ever does.
  13. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    65.06%

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bone View Post
    I really don't know about that. I see some people still follow the old "Fat is bad mantra". Low fat/high to moderate carbs will kill before fat ever does.
    Did you even read my post? Again, different types of fats have different results. Polyunsaturated fats are great while saturated fats have a whole host of documented negative impact on health.
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    16.19%

EasyEJL always has great advice!! I can remember my mom doing this, the rest of your guys that are old enough to remember the time before there were microwaves and had mom’s that really cooked. You too remember her doing this right. It just takes the extra time. That is the key, so many things can cost a lot less if we take the time to do it ourselves, if you have the time, your time is free. Plus one learns to be a better cook over time doing these kinds of things. Got a pot of chili & beans cooking now, it does have lean steak in it.(Not out of the can, dried beans, 3 different kinds of beans)
    “Just be advised that the above information posted is not medical advice and should only be used for fun and entertainment.”
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22%

I love turkey and I mean love turkey so it is mostly what I use. I feel it is up to preference.
    ACSM-CPT

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ground Turkey Recipe
    By AnthonyIOSOS in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 09:27 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-30-2007, 09:44 PM
  3. WTF is the deal with my ground turkey???
    By massmonster in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 11:42 PM
  4. Looking for some ground turkey reciepes
    By tattoopierced1 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-06-2005, 01:49 AM