Bagels??

Jay Keezy

Jay Keezy

Awards
im trying to bulk up some right now and someone told me bagels are good things to eat as a snack in between meals. ive done some research on this and a bagel with cream cheese has about 300 calories. do you think eating a bagel with cream cheese in between breakfast and lunch and also in between lunch an dinner and possibly even before bed because bagels digest slow, be a good idea or not?

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I eat them as snacks when I'm bulking. They are good as hell too.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
The so called 'everything' bagel with some crunchy PB in the middle. Crazy awesome.

Jay Keezy

Jay Keezy

Awards
Yes, I eat them as snacks when I'm bulking. They are good as hell too.
yeah man i love them i eat a few of them a day i just wasnt sure if they were good calories or not. thanks!

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
Theyre fine. I like jelly on one pre workout with a banana & whey shake.

ChrisSurf

Awards
Are you talking about bagels from the store (Publix etc) or bagels from a shop like Einsteins? big difference there, store bagels suck in taste compared to bagel shops. Sometimes I'll get a big bag of dunkin donuts bagels :bigok:

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Whole wheat bagels are a staple for me. If you look around, you can find some with up to 13g of protein too, so you're covering all angles. I have about three a day and I'm not even bulking.

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
Bagels with cream cheese, cheese, peanut butter, bacon, it's all good!

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The two best bagels for bulking are Brueggers (shop) and Thomas (from stores). They are whole grain bagels

apoxtle

apoxtle

Awards
  • Established
peanut butter bagels are a staple and bacon just makes life better.

Jay Keezy

Jay Keezy

Awards
thanks for all the input guys i appreciate it. i dont know what kind of bagels they are im in the military in afghan and they have bagels and cream at the chow halls and its all free so i usually grab 4 or five of them in a box every morning and eat them throughout the day.

Jay Keezy

Jay Keezy

Awards
without getting too much into detail consider a GI of 70+ and a huge glycemic load. i actually just stumbled onto this article:

pretty good summary
reading that article might have been the biggest waste of time ive ever spent. it pretty much says eating candy is better than eating whole grains. your an idiot. get a little bigger and stronger and i might listen to you.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
reading that article might have been the biggest waste of time ive ever spent. it pretty much says eating candy is better than eating whole grains. your an idiot. get a little bigger and stronger and i might listen to you.
In reference to candy it says..

Grains cause a spike in insulin. So man’s first processed food is just that—an insulin spiker. OK, it isn’t as bad as a candy bar or a glass of soda
Says it isn't as bad as candy, meaning candy is worse, but it really isnt any better.

Considering the GI of a bowl of oatmeal isn't that much different than a snickers bar for breakfast any both contain no nutrients

I would ask why are you eating oatmeal then? Why not some eggs and fruit?

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And the ad hominem attack helped your point how? For all you know, Anton has packed on 40lbs of lean mass since he started, we all gotta start somewhere, not all of us are natural big boys. Ok, so you disagree, that is your right, no need to be insulting about it.

Jay Keezy

Jay Keezy

Awards
And the ad hominem attack helped your point how? For all you know, Anton has packed on 40lbs of lean mass since he started, we all gotta start somewhere, not all of us are natural big boys. Ok, so you disagree, that is your right, no need to be insulting about it.
hey bro im not a natural big boy either i started working out i was 160 pounds and 18 years old. why come to a forum on bulking when he doesnt appear to be trying to bulk anytime soon.

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
lol i dont bodybuild and instead choke people out for a hobby (bjj) so being bigger does nothing for me. let me know if you can get to a single digit bodyfat and maybe ill listen to you. considering you eat bagels all day you probably have no more than 10-15 lbs of LBM than me, the rest is fat.

Jay Keezy

Jay Keezy

Awards
lol i dont bodybuild and instead choke people out for a hobby (bjj) so being bigger does nothing for me. let me know if you can get to a single digit bodyfat and maybe ill listen to you. considering you eat bagels all day you probably have no more than 10-15 lbs of LBM than me, the rest is fat.
hey man i respect what you do its pretty cool. but ill let you know im at 9 % bf right now im in the military and im over the weight standards for my height(74 inches=213 max weight) there for i have to be taped for bodyfat percentage every month. i wont bash you for being small tho cuz martial arts is exhausting and ive done it before in the corps. ive been eating bagels everyday for almost 2 weeks and havent noticed an increase in bodyfat yet but if i do i will let you know

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
mikespe Nutrition / Health 9
Whacked Recipes 7
Recipes 12
Chub Nutrition / Health 17