Bulking AND Cardio... good or bad for muscle gain?

JonKaer

Awards
I've been reading various stuff in alot of forums about bodybuilding, and I can't find an good answer. I'm currently on a bulk, consuming about 4000 kcal a day. I'm doing chest/triceps/shoulder Monday and Thursday and Back, Legs, Biceps Tuesday and Friday. Everyday I do about 30 min cardio at 150-170 bpm intensity. Will It slow down my muscle gain? Some people will say "yes", and some people will say that "as long as you are in a calorie surpluse, you will be fine"

It's very hard to find a good answer I think... I wouldn't skip my cardio! I think people who skip cardio on a bulk diet are lazy!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would continue doing some form of cardio, just to ensure you don't lose your lungs. However, I'd scale the cardio down during bulking so it's more effective when you want to cut (i.e. doing daily cardio now and then again when you cut won't be that much of a shock). Adjust your calories as needed to handle this. If you're gaining too fast and spilling over, scale them back a bit, etc.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if u choose to do cardio, do it in form of sprinting. and yes, it is very beneficial whether bulking, cutting or during recomp. you just have to approach cardio in different ways depending on your goals. when i bulk, i do cardio in form on sprinting.

if you are worried about enough cals, then after u do your cardio, just eat an extra p&J with milk

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been reading various stuff in alot of forums about bodybuilding, and I can't find an good answer. I'm currently on a bulk, consuming about 4000 kcal a day. I'm doing chest/triceps/shoulder Monday and Thursday and Back, Legs, Biceps Tuesday and Friday. Everyday I do about 30 min cardio at 150-170 bpm intensity. Will It slow down my muscle gain? Some people will say "yes", and some people will say that "as long as you are in a calorie surpluse, you will be fine"

It's very hard to find a good answer I think... I wouldn't skip my cardio! I think people who skip cardio on a bulk diet are lazy!
If you want to do cardio, do it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It will not slow down your muscle gain, no - as long as you are eating enough to cover that energy expenditure and getting enough for muscle accretion.

~Rosie~

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
If you want to do cardio, do it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. It will not slow down your muscle gain, no - as long as you are eating enough to cover that energy expenditure and getting enough for muscle accretion.

~Rosie~
Agreed. Cardio is great when you are bulking... just keep it low intensity and shorter duration. Cardio has so many benefits to health and wellness there is no reason you should not do it. It helps you assimilate all the food you are eating better IMO, as well as all the positive benefits to your overall training that increased cardiovascular health and endurance give you.

BEAST

Jono

Awards
why don't you do GPP work instead of cardio, drag around a sled or tyre and push a prowler around.

crazym

Awards
IMO more work more food=better body composition. John Berardi calls it g-flux, every time I've made good gains it was from doing more work and eating more rather than limiting myself to gym work in a pursuit of maximum recovery.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Iceman013 Cycle Logs 6
Weight Loss 23
zach195 Nutrition / Health 26
Training Forum 23
Training Forum 32