Critique my bulk/mass-gain phase

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
OK guys so basically i'm looking for some input regarding my bulking diet... This is the first time i'm doing a "real" bulk since i started weightlifting aprox 2 years ago.

17 years old
6 foot 3
200lbs

Anyways, here goes

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulk - Nutrition

Breakfast

2 cans of tuna : 55,2p 0c 1,2f
1/2 packet mashed tomatoes : 1,755p 6,435c 0,195f
100g peas : 5,2p 7,2c 0,4f
400g potatoes : 7,2p 64,4c 0,4f
1tbsp olive oil : 0p 0c 13,5f
6g omega-3 : 0p 0c 6f

Dinner

2 cans of tuna : 55,2p 0c 1,2f
1/2 packet mashed tomatoes : 1,755p 6,435c 0,195f
100g peas : 5,2p 7,2c 0,4f
400g potatoes : 7,2p 64,4c 0,4f
1tbsp olive oil : 0p 0c 13,5f
1 piece of apple : 0,375p 15,5c 0,125f

Post-Workout/Pre-Bed

400g 12% lean ground beef : 80p 0c 48f
1 packet mashed tomatoes : 3,51p 12,87c 0,39f
200g rice or brown rice : 17p 152c 7f
50g oatmeal : 6,5p 28c 3,5f
1 scoop chocolate powder : 1,9p 41,25c 1,35f

Total macros
Calories: 3500 kcal
Protein: 248g (28% E)
Carbs: 406g (46% E)
Fat: 98g (26%)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulk - Bodyweight Log

Monday 7/2 : 196,2lbs Diet: 3100kcal/242p/332c/92f
Saturday 12/2 195,5lbs (-0,7lbs) Diet: Same as above
Friday 18/2 194,8lbs (-07lbs) Diet:Same as above
Monday 21/2 199,7lbs (+4,9lbs) Diet: Same as above+started creatine
Saturday 26/2 199,5lbs (-0,2lbs) Diet: Same as above
Thursday 10/3 201,3lbs (+1,8lbs) Diet: Increased 3500kcal/248p/406c/98f
Wednesday 16/3 199,5lbs (-1,8lbs) Diet:Same as above
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulk - Strength

Strenght has gone up on my low rep "heavy days" consistently... But on my high rep days weight remains unchanged or just improved. Is this an indication of me eating too little to support lean mass gains and that i'm only gaining neural efficient strenght or is it simply harder to gain strenght on a weekly basis when doing high reps and short rest periods?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulk - Supplements

Multi-Vit : Generic One-a-day
Vitamin D 2500 iu
6 g omega-3
Creapur Creatine 5g
Training days (5 days a week): 2 servings purple wraath split pre and post-workout
Non-training days (2 days a week): 1 serving Xtend
Magnesium Oxide 500g
Probiotic Complex: 1 cap a day : Mostly trying it too see if if eases my GI problems... so far no change
Digestive Enzymes: 3 caps a day, one at each meal : : Mostly trying it too see if if eases my GI problems... so far no change

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Bulk-Questions

Is there anything you would change right of the bat given the information i've provided you to improve my bulk/mass-gain phase

What supplements do you recommend adding or removing from my list of supps?

If i were to increase calories, which nutrient should i increase?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
is there a reason your only eating 3 times a day?
and ur 17, and dont need most of these supps

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks pretty good to me in terms of calories and macronutrient breakdown. Maybe up protein a little and up carbs a little as you get keep gaining.

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
is there a reason your only eating 3 times a day?
and ur 17, and dont need most of these supps
1.Mostly out of convenience and the fact that when i eat i like to eat til i'm satisfied

2. Agreed, some of those supps i only got to try em out... I would consider the omega-3's, multi vit and vitamin D my staples though

Looks pretty good to me in terms of calories and macronutrient breakdown. Maybe up protein a little and up carbs a little as you get keep gaining.
Thanks man!... Yeah i'll go ahead and up carbs and protein as gains are slowing down...

cardiobro

cardiobro

Awards
Id watch your mercury levels with all the tuna your eating per day.

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
Id watch your mercury levels with all the tuna your eating per day.
Hey thanks for the heads-up bro i made sure to check it up... I live in Sweden and apparently all tuna used by swedish brands are a smaller type of tuna than the one you guys in the USA have... So mercury levels are way lower, and the Swedish National Food Administration states that you can eat how much you want.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
you eat 250g perday
Id rather see you eat 50g protein in 5 different sittings, this will allow a more peak and vally of protein synthesis thru out the day, as per Layne Nortons research

Ession

Awards
you eat 250g perday
Id rather see you eat 50g protein in 5 different sittings, this will allow a more peak and vally of protein synthesis thru out the day, as per Layne Nortons research
Ugh stop spewing bull****.

It doesn't matter if you eat 250 in one setting or having it spread throughout the day.

You can have three meals instead of 7....or 2 meals...or 1, depends on how long it takes for you to get your macros in.

Your diet is looking on point, try it out for a month and make changes accordingly.

Folkmetalhead

Folkmetalhead

Awards
Fredh, you shouldnt trust on Swedish National Food Administration they'r pretty wrong on many things, as are their cousin in Finland :) For example if you go check recommend dose of D-vitamin you'll see the fact.. Even thou in scandinavia we don't use same tuna as they do in USA you still can get some **** from can itself, i prefer to eat 0% of my food as canned if possible.

Anyways, i would personally add 500g of kvark (Ehrmann is awesome!) also i would personally eat as pre-bed meal something between 200g-400g of low fat cottage cheese and take tbsp of EVOO.

About supps keep magnesium, d-vitamin, multi-vit, omega-3 and creatine.. Rest are pretty much "useless".

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ugh stop spewing bull****.

It doesn't matter if you eat 250 in one setting or having it spread throughout the day.

You can have three meals instead of 7....or 2 meals...or 1, depends on how long it takes for you to get your macros in.

Your diet is looking on point, try it out for a month and make changes accordingly.
Its not bull****...look up the studies and get back to me, layne norton is much more qualified then ull ever be.
It doesnt matter if you eat it all at once or not, that is true. But his research is looking at maximizing the response to protein synethsis in the body.

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
Hey guys i'm in the middle of reconstructing my diet... Gonna change a few things, including : protein sources, macros and total calories and what not since i've grown tired of some of the foods i'm currently eating and upping the cals because i'm not gaining weight/strength atm... I'll post the updated diet later this week

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its not bull****...look up the studies and get back to me, layne norton is much more qualified then ull ever be.
It doesnt matter if you eat it all at once or not, that is true. But his research is looking at maximizing the response to protein synethsis in the body.
It is bull**** when you are eating solid foods. If you are drinking whey as your protein source with no fats or carbs added, then sure you have 3 hours of raised amino acids. But with fish, meats, etc also eaten with fats + carbs the overall digestion takes more than 5 hours and provides a constant stream of aminos during the process.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
email layne about this bull****, he always replies. Id love to see what he has to say.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
real medical studies have shown that in eating whole food sources of proteins that only when you get down to 1 meal a day is protein usage impaired. Even at just 2 meals a day, you capable of taking in enough protein to make gains. Some simple pieces to that puzzle

DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS
(approx. time spent in stomach before emptying)

Egg yolk - 30 min. digestion time
Whole egg - 45 min.
Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min. digestion time
Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (more fatty fish) - 45 min. to 60 digestion time
Chicken - 1 1/2 to 2 hours digestion time (without skin)
Turkey - 2 to 2 1/4 hours digestion time (without skin)
Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours digestion time
Pork - 41/2 to 5 hours digestion time
this is in absence of other foods, and this is time to just clear the stomach, not the intestines. You are still absorbing aminos from the foods as its in intestines as well. So given that even whey gives heightened aminos for 3 hours after digestion, that leaves you with 6-7 hours of heightened aminos with beef. At a usage rate between casein (6g/hr) and whey (10g/hr) that means easily eating 50-70 grams of protein from beef is usable per meal, so 3 meals that way = 150-210g protein.

rayactr2k6

rayactr2k6

Awards
Tuna hasn't ever helped me put on bulk. I'd substitute the tuna for more eggs or beef or something with more substance. Then again, I didn't weigh 200 lbs at age 17, so maybe tuna will help you more than it would me.

Torq

Torq

Awards
lol I love how much arguing goes on here lol...... anyhoo good work on your bulking dude. You be a big boy for only 17... keep it up!!! wish I was your size back when I was 17.

rayactr2k6

rayactr2k6

Awards
lol I love how much arguing goes on here lol...... anyhoo good work on your bulking dude. You be a big boy for only 17... keep it up!!! wish I was your size back when I was 17.
ya no kidding. I didn't hit 200 till i was 22

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
part of it is that most studies suck and you can find contradicting studies too. Or that people believe that since arnold/cutler/coleman/poliquin/layne norton/etc said this is what they did or had clients do that its the best thing for everyone.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
laynes is based on research, but i see your point and ill surrender

fredh da star

fredh da star

Awards
Sorry for the delay guys

So basically i've upped the calories since progress stalled, and i also increased my meal frequency... This is what it looks like now

7am breakfast

200g white fish 38p 0c 2f
100g rice 7,3p 76c 1,3f
100g spinach 2p 1c 0f
1tbsp olive oil 0p 0c 13,5f
6g omega-3 0p 0c 6f

Shake 11:30 am
1 scoop whey 23,8p 1,4c 2f
4dl (12 oz) milk 13,6p 20c 6f
50g oatmeal 6,5p 28c 3,5f

Dinner 5pm
Meat sauce and rice
200g ground beef 40p 0c 20f
200g rice 14,6p 152c 2,6f
1/2 packet of mashed tomatoes
1 onion

Snack/Post-workout shake 8pm
1 scoop whey 23,8p 1,4c 2f
4dl (12 oz) milk 13,6p 20c 6f
50g oatmeal 6,5p 28c 3,5f
1 banana 1,1p 23,1c 0,5f

Last meal 10.30pm
Meat sauce and rice
200g ground beef 40p 0c 20f
200g rice 14,6p 152c 2,6f
1/2 packet of mashed tomatoes
1 onion

--------------------------------

Macros:

~245g p
~505g c
~100g f
~3900 calories

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looks good man, you can eat anyway you want. Just make sure to hit ur numbers

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
sorry sweetlou, it is bull****.

most of the ''science'' people pedal isnt worth a damn. me and my bro have been doing the 16 hour daily fast as per the leangains protocol, and we've never been in better shape.

eating 2-3 times a day we've built muscle and lost fat.

my bro has been been doing even better than me, eating fried chicken and doritos for his food lol