Running and lifting?

mjdalegend

Awards
I am currently really close to healing from a stress fracture and am starting a bulk tommorow (gonna try keep it to only 400 cal over maintenence instead of 1000-2000 like last time haha), ATM my body is really not used to pretty much all forms to cardio which would mean instant fat loss if i were to start later (stuck in a plateu, ive never had abs and its pretty much the easy way to get em) , im quiet lean at the moment as well and i was thinking about starting running soonish to get my fitness levels back but i cant just wait till later as we have a 10km run coming up in a few months for P.E and am wanting to crack the school record, oh and i only have 8 weeks to bulk as my gym membership ends and am not sure if ill have the money to renew it :( so i just dunno what to do, it more personal then anything, what should i do?

:swordfight:

rush808

rush808

Awards
I dont see why u can't do both.

I always assume ppl will limit cardio during bulking to stop the burning of cals. but you can always replace the extra 300-400 cals burn for ea run...

Edit* try to separate your weight training from your cardio as long as possible, run: 6am; lift: 6pm?

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
When I bulk I'll walk at a good pace on an steep, inclined treadmill just to keep heart pumping at a steady 120-130 BPM. I've read that putting your heart rate at the upper end of the scale (150+bpm) will burn off your glycogen/carbs stores for energy, while keeping it @ around 120-150 bpm (depending individual) will use you fat stores for energy. Not sure if the info I read still holds true (might be outdated info by now).

If you did this I don't see why you couldn't keep gaining while doing cardio. Gets the blood flowing without robbing your muscles of precious glycogen.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am currently really close to healing from a stress fracture and am starting a bulk tommorow (gonna try keep it to only 400 cal over maintenence instead of 1000-2000 like last time haha), ATM my body is really not used to pretty much all forms to cardio which would mean instant fat loss if i were to start later (stuck in a plateu, ive never had abs and its pretty much the easy way to get em) , im quiet lean at the moment as well and i was thinking about starting running soonish to get my fitness levels back but i cant just wait till later as we have a 10km run coming up in a few months for P.E and am wanting to crack the school record, oh and i only have 8 weeks to bulk as my gym membership ends and am not sure if ill have the money to renew it :( so i just dunno what to do, it more personal then anything, what should i do?

:swordfight:
Yes, bulking only requires ~500 calories above Maintenance for the average individual - not even that, and you would only go to ~1,000 calories above Maintenance if the training programme you were using was very intense and high volume.

There is no reason why you cannot bulk AND run at the same time. As long as you are eating ENOUGH calories to cover the cost of the energy expenditure of your running AND to make gains, then you should be fine.

If you want to improve your 10km time, then you have to run, period. Run over 5-10km distances every other day. Start with the lower distance and build up to it. If you are more serious about training for doing the best 10km possible, then take a look at Jon Ackland's The Power to Perform and adapt his 10km running programme to the time you have left.

However, you want to make absolutely sure that you HAVE completely rehabilitated your stress fracture first, and before you start running, you should be cleared for it, or else you could end up putting yourself out more.

~Rosie~

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i have found that during sprints during a bulk helps me while training. i dont get out of breath when im lifting.