Alcohol and bulking.

JonesyDaniel

Awards
Would a few cans of beer a day effect my bulking?

drudixon

Awards
I think so. Keep it to a day a week, at most 2. Alcohol lowers your free testosterone, which will make it harder for you to gain muscle, and it'll make it easier to gain fat. I love beer, but I've had to dial it way down to get quality gains.

JonesyDaniel

Awards
I think so. Keep it to a day a week, at most 2. Alcohol lowers your free testosterone, which will make it harder for you to gain muscle, and it'll make it easier to gain fat. I love beer, but I've had to dial it way down to get quality gains.
Ah, thanks. I just wanted to get an answer from someone who's been bulking. I normally drink quiet alot on the weekend. Would that be ok?

drudixon

Awards
Ah, thanks. I just wanted to get an answer from someone who's been bulking. I normally drink quiet alot on the weekend. Would that be ok?
2-6 beers in a sitting, not great, but ok. A 40 beer bender... probably not. If you're taking any PH or AAS then definitely not You'll be pissing brown, or worse, red if you go too crazy.

JonesyDaniel

Awards
2-6 beers in a sitting, not great, but ok. A 40 beer bender... probably not. If you're taking any PH or AAS then definitely not You'll be pissing brown, or worse, red if you go too crazy.
I drink around 8 on Friday and 8 on Saturday. I used to drink a few everyday but stopped because it would've destroyed my liver.

Jacked.N.Tan

Jacked.N.Tan

Awards
alcohol doesnt belong in anyones diet. but if you dont care much a bout progess then i guess its more calories to bulk with

JonesyDaniel

Awards
alcohol doesnt belong in anyones diet. but if you dont care much a bout progess then i guess its more calories to bulk with
The beer I drink has 145 calories per 440ml can. I only drink a few on the weekend with my mates when we go clubbling or have a party.

Jacked.N.Tan

Jacked.N.Tan

Awards
alcohol fks with nutrient absorbtion and retains stubborn fat. but idk if youre clean bulking or dirty bulking

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
My main concern is the dehydration effects on recovery. Drinking is like wasting your workout if you are trying build muscle. Some guys swear by drinking a few beers post workout, but they are not trying to gain weight.

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
Alcohol lowers testosterone levels, dehydrates the body, greatly reduces protein synthesis (I've seen some studies state by as much as 40%), and can cause estrogen levels to skyrocket (post drinking).

Aside from these facts alcohol calories are completely empty, sure you are adding excess calories to your "bulk diet" but they are nutritionally void. When your body digests alcohol it take precedence in the body, thus protein isn't processed, fat isn't burned, calories aren't metabolized, etc. until all of the alcohol is out of your system.

Sure a few beers every once in a while won't be devastatingly detrimental, but binge drinking every weekend is counterproductive to the body building lifestyle. I enjoy a few beers every once in a while, but not every weekend. To each their own, I guess it all comes down to your goals.

Power Chews

Awards
Keep lifting hard and eating chicken at 3am, but its best to limit the amount of alchohol while bulking!!

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A few cans a DAY? Like, how many cans??

Alcohol is an immunosuppresant, can harm the liver hindering it from processing estrogens, cholesterols and fat and it interrupts the bodies ability to build muscle and burn fat.

cardiobro

cardiobro

Awards
Milk is for babies, when you grow up you have to drink beer.

diegone

Awards
I'm glad I don't like beer.. or I'm allergic to it, everytime I try to take a sip I feel like throwing up lol
I dig the vodka/bacardi tho ;) which is worse haha so deff NO ALCOHOL while bulking, the only exception I made was my birthday and just got a little tipsy.

danzig

Awards
Alcohol effects gains regardless,I would stay away from it.

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
I would rather see you drinking a glass or two of red wine over anything else. Moderation is key.

Not saying I don't cut loose every now and then - gotta enjoy life guys. I only get drunk a handful of times a year on special occasions(or when my girlfriend gets me drunk and f^%#$ my brains out hahaha).

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Another question you should ask is how is the alcohol going to interact with the suppliments you are on and is that gonna put an even bigger strain on your liver?

jlinteris

jlinteris

Awards
I have bulked above 275 pounds while having drinks often, and I have bulked to this weight the following year while not having any alcohol whatsoever. I would have some beers, a ****tail or a few glasses of wine often during the first bulk. I put on just as much muscle while I was having a few drinks as when I was completely dry. I was training for power while still trying to maintain a decent physique and I actually hit all of my best lifts during the phase when I had casual drinks. I am unsure if it was from the excess calories or whatnot but I am certainly not afraid to have a few drinks and with the idea that it will hinder my gains. I know science disagrees with me but this is just my .02.

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
A few cans of beer is a few cans of beer... As long as you're only drinking a few you'll be fine. The only way you will seriously affect your gains is if you are really DRINKING and doing this often. People who will sacrifice sitting back and having a couple beers for 1/16th of an inch on their bicep are just insane...

Live. Lift. Be happy.

apoxtle

apoxtle

Awards
  • Established
well said.
A few cans of beer is a few cans of beer... As long as you're only drinking a few you'll be fine. The only way you will seriously affect your gains is if you are really DRINKING and doing this often. People who will sacrifice sitting back and having a couple beers for 1/16th of an inch on their bicep are just insane...

Live. Lift. Be happy.