tips on staying lean during clean bulk

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    71.61%

tips on staying lean during clean bulk

The only supplements that I'm taking now are Slin-Sane and GHRP-6+ the staples of Whey Blend and creatine. I'm attempting to get to 225lbs by May, and right now I'm 215-216lbs or so. I Started my bulk almost two weeks ago, eating 700 calories above maintenance, so around 4200 calories per day spread out over 6 meals. I'm eating alot of eggs, whole grains in the morning and afternoon, very few carbs, trace amounts, after dark. I do HIIT twice a week on the treadmill. What are some other things that I can do to help me not add on any extra bodyfat during this time?

2. Board Moderator
    Never enough
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.65%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity RoyaltyActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

theres a little bit of support for higher dosed CLA or fish oil helping to keep you leaner during a bulk. Other than that, cautiously monitoring your intake is the best bet.
  3. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.98%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by JayRock View Post
    The only supplements that I'm taking now are Slin-Sane and GHRP-6+ the staples of Whey Blend and creatine. I'm attempting to get to 225lbs by May, and right now I'm 215-216lbs or so. I Started my bulk almost two weeks ago, eating 700 calories above maintenance, so around 4200 calories per day spread out over 6 meals. I'm eating alot of eggs, whole grains in the morning and afternoon, very few carbs, trace amounts, after dark. I do HIIT twice a week on the treadmill. What are some other things that I can do to help me not add on any extra bodyfat during this time?
    I would actually recommend starting at only 200-300 calories above Maintenance and see how that goes, and adjust your caloric intake on a weekly basis based on your results.

Try calorie/carbohydrate cycling, so that you're not ALWAYS above Maintenance.

Watch your progress each week - if you're gaining more bodyfat than you would like, then cut your calories back a bit.

~Rosie~
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
    •   

4. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.4%

Honestly what you have sounds fine; if you notice the body fat going up, then cut back on the calories.
    Every few weeks I do a couple workouts of high-reps to stimulate the metabolism...try something like that.
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5%

You can monitor your caloric intake like mentioned. You can even eliminate powders from your diet, since many times the malto gets stored as fat. Eating real foods is the safest bet, just slightly harder to master.

There is always the alternative where you bulk hard and gain 10-15lbs over your target weight and then cut down.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5%

I'm not really a fan of this whole "clean bulking" thing. I think it doesn't really constitute a bulk, but now a days seems like everyone is on this kick. You either want to gain a sh*tload of weight, or you are like everyone else and just want to be tone, and have a slight increase in muscle mass. Back in the day there was no such thing as "clean bulking".
  7. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.98%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by CaponeCEO View Post
    I'm not really a fan of this whole "clean bulking" thing. I think it doesn't really constitute a bulk, but now a days seems like everyone is on this kick. You either want to gain a sh*tload of weight, or you are like everyone else and just want to be tone, and have a slight increase in muscle mass. Back in the day there was no such thing as "clean bulking".
    You can definitely clean bulk - and you will tell the difference with the quality of your gains, as well as how you feel during the bulk. Many guys have a difficult time doing it though, simply because to get the calories required for a bulk for some from clean food can be a task - even for me to do it, that's a lot of food, when, if you bulk dirty, you can down several hundred calories in a slice of pizza or with fried food or something. Everyone is different and just depends on what they want and how they want to feel - you can definitely bulk without gaining too much bodyfat though.

Or you can recomp - which is much slower, but IMO so much easier to do and maintain re leanness.

~Rosie~

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5%

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie Chee Scott View Post
    You can definitely clean bulk - and you will tell the difference with the quality of your gains, as well as how you feel during the bulk. Many guys have a difficult time doing it though, simply because to get the calories required for a bulk for some from clean food can be a task - even for me to do it, that's a lot of food, when, if you bulk dirty, you can down several hundred calories in a slice of pizza or with fried food or something. Everyone is different and just depends on what they want and how they want to feel - you can definitely bulk without gaining too much bodyfat though.

Or you can recomp - which is much slower, but IMO so much easier to do and maintain re leanness.

~Rosie~
    I lifted with older generations who were in the gyms before supplements were ever around. I pretty much learned lots from them. Dirty bulking is just as crazy of a theory as clean bulking to me. When I think of bulking I think of eating lots of red meat, other meats, potatoes, pasta, fruits, veges, and other quality foods. Just lots of quality foods. Difference being you ate at as much of these quality foods as humanly possible, even force feeding yourself. You gained weight, some fat, but a lot of strength and muscle too.

Clean bulking to me is just a theory where someone wants to gain a few extra lbs, like most men in america (and some women!), and be tone and fit. This really isn't bulking to me.

Dirty bulking is just some lazy loser's excuse to poor dieting while lifting.

This probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me and the older gumba's out there.
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  150 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.97%

I'm 100% with Capone.

I think bulking(or just dirty) is a safe bet for the lazy generation of lifters that don't want to have to waste countless hours of time and calculations on figuring out the exact amount that will let them grow without being too fat.

Clean bulking(cmon who came up with this oxymoron..)...well its just gaining size like Capone said.

Personally I dirty bulk just because I'm lazy as **** and skinny fat (aka no one will think im fat at all unless I take my shirt off and push out my stomach) so I don't care about not having a 6 pac at the moment.
  10. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  114 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.98%

Quote Originally Posted by CaponeCEO View Post
    I lifted with older generations who were in the gyms before supplements were ever around. I pretty much learned lots from them. Dirty bulking is just as crazy of a theory as clean bulking to me. When I think of bulking I think of eating lots of red meat, other meats, potatoes, pasta, fruits, veges, and other quality foods. Just lots of quality foods. Difference being you at as much of these quality foods as humanly possible, even force feeding yourself. You gained weight, some fat, but a lot of strength and muscle too.

Clean bulking to me is just a theory where someone wants to gain a few extra lbs, like most men in america (and some women!), and be tone and fit. This really isn't bulking to me.

Dirty bulking is just some lazy loser's excuse to poor dieting while lifting.

This probably doesn't make sense to anyone but me and the older gumba's out there.
    It makes sense. If you're going to bulk - bulk. If you're going to cut - cut. If you want to recomp - recomp. Whatever you do, do it PROPERLY!

~Rosie~

11. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5%

Quote Originally Posted by Ession View Post
    I'm 100% with Capone.

I think bulking(or just dirty) is a safe bet for the lazy generation of lifters that don't want to have to waste countless hours of time and calculations on figuring out the exact amount that will let them grow without being too fat.

Clean bulking(cmon who came up with this oxymoron..)...well its just gaining size like Capone said.

Personally I dirty bulk just because I'm lazy as **** and skinny fat (aka no one will think im fat at all unless I take my shirt off and push out my stomach) so I don't care about not having a 6 pac at the moment.
    Sometimes the fun is in the difficult preparation. Yes it sucks, but it's worth it in the long run. Motivation and Dedication will keep you firmly planted in the game.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 06:47 PM
  2. Going on a very clean lean bulk...need critique
    By saggy321 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 08:04 PM
  3. Tips for Power clean?
    By p00ndawg in forum Powerlifting/Strongman
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 12:51 PM
  4. 3 Tips For Staying Active Into Retirement