Breathing control

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I have always thought that I controlled my breathing pretty well during heavy lifting and exertion, however I am starting to feel that maybe I don't. If you don't control your breathing well during heavy lifting you body is prone to health problems, which can be quite annoying, and you wont be able to lift as much.

This seems so simple, yet I might not be doing it correctly. Can anyone elaborate on how they control their breathing during heavy lifting? It might be hard to describe, but I will understand what you mean.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Bulking thread is dead. Guess everyone is using anabolics now.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
I have always thought that I controlled my breathing pretty well during heavy lifting and exertion, however I am starting to feel that maybe I don't. If you don't control your breathing well during heavy lifting you body is prone to health problems, which can be quite annoying, and you wont be able to lift as much.

This seems so simple, yet I might not be doing it correctly. Can anyone elaborate on how they control their breathing during heavy lifting? It might be hard to describe, but I will understand what you mean.

it depends on the exercise...

for example, while benching

breathing in on the way down, and when or just before the bar reaches your chest, exhale and press at the same time

while deadlifting if i dont hold my breath, im sure ill **** my pants

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I'm thinking that my shoulder presses are where my breathing issue gets the worst.

Awards
I feel that holding my breath while squatting on the way down helps keep my back at the proper angle. Exhale while coming up.

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
Bruce Lee's "The Art of Expressing the Human Body" discusses some unorthodox (at least to me) views on breathing technique while lifting.

edit: worth considering is that his exercise philosophy is not really about bulking though

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Bruce Lee's "The Art of Expressing the Human Body" discusses some unorthodox (at least to me) views on breathing technique while lifting.

edit: worth considering is that his exercise philosophy is not really about bulking though
Still sounds like a good read. One would think that someone who has Bruce Lee's capabilities would understand breathing techniques.

Another bodybuilder who was big on breathing techniques was Franco Columbu. In his hay day he could exhale into an platic bottle and blow it up. The man was a monster.

My biggest thing is that I don't focus on my breathing until after I am done with the excercise. There has to be some strategy to get the good air in and get the bad air out, without putting unneeded stress on your inner organs.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
i think your organs will be fine

freefall365

freefall365

Awards
  • Established
Still sounds like a good read. One would think that someone who has Bruce Lee's capabilities would understand breathing techniques.

Another bodybuilder who was big on breathing techniques was Franco Columbu. In his hay day he could exhale into an platic bottle and blow it up. The man was a monster.

My biggest thing is that I don't focus on my breathing until after I am done with the excercise. There has to be some strategy to get the good air in and get the bad air out, without putting unneeded stress on your inner organs.
It is a good read my friend, I think you will enjoy it. Where did you hear about this stress on the organs?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
Are you a musician? Can you tap your foot and play or sing at the same time? Seems silly but it does take coordination. You just breathe for each rep. Check the powerlifting stuff also. You didn't really describe your problem btw. You just started a discusion. Be specific about your issue and describe how you are breathing during a set.