how much can I expect to gain with this plan?

JayRock

Awards
Ok, I'm currently 6'3'' 215lbs roughly 12%bodyfat. I used to train for competition back about 6-7 years ago so I have experience, but I've been out of it for so long. I've been lifting regularly, but more for recomp/maintenance. I want to bulk up to 230lbs without gaining much more bodyfat than I have. I do HIIT 2-3 times per week, and jump rope for 25mins once a week. I train chest/back together 1x/wk, shoulders/legs 1x, bi/tris 1x, and abs whenever I can. I do about 4 exercises per muscle group, 6-10 reps, one or two sets until failure.
My diet will be
Breakfast: 6 eggs in the morning, 1 whole wheat bagel, 1 bowl of oats and honey.
Lunch: turger burger with whole wheat bread and cheese, grapes, 1 cup greek yogurt.
Meal 3: PWO shake, 50+gms protein, 5gms creatine, 25gms dextrose, 1 cup of oats, 2 teaspoons olive oil.
Dinner: Typically a lean meat, bowl of grape nuts cereal with milk, 2tbs peanut butter.
Before Bed: 25gms protein blend shake with milk and olive oil, a handful of walnuts, almonds.
If I follow that plan, how much can I expect to gain within 6 months?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
How many calories is that?

You realize your diet will have to change as your body changes.

if you get to 218-219 with that amount of food, you will have to re-adjust and add more quality calories.

I don't know your body type, but for me, when i stop gaining I look to add 250-300 calories a day. It may be more or less for you

JayRock

Awards
ok so if I'm an ecto-mesomorph and I want to gain 10-15lbs within 8 months, how many calories should I eat a day starting out? 4000-4500?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
I would not start out there...

I would calculate out your daily required needs and add 500 or so.

A rough start would be 3,500-3,750...but this a very very personal thing. Every body responds differently to eating habits.

I would concentrate on really figuring out what works for you.

jiberish

jiberish

Awards
Yeop, all about finding a number that works for you. Just don't go crazy trying to reach weight goals. I did that before, but really I was just getting fat.

tubbednova

Awards
  • Established
I did a ballpark figure of your cals and came up with 3485cal give or take a couple.So if your gaining on this and your liking the results stick with it or you can start to increase or decrease training or cals to fit the bill.As for how much you can expect to gain i don't think anyone can tell you that without knowing everything about ya (traning,work,home life,ect..)give it a try for a week to give you a idea.I myself am bulking now at 3100-3200cal training(kickboxing)4 days a week and lifting 5days only 1-2days of light cardio usally day after legs.Knowing how your body reacts to foods help also a can eat 2500cal without carbs and do nothing training wise and lose fat.But im only 181lb at 11% also.

rayactr2k6

rayactr2k6

Awards
I try to get around 5000 calories a day. I probably get a little less than that, but thats what I aim for. I've made steady gains since I've started doing that, and its mostly muscle. Upping my calories a couple thousand a day worked very well. It's a little nauseating at times, but it's worth the results. This may not work for you, but it's worked for me.

Miiex1

Awards
haha this just makes me mad that i eat 4000 calories a day and way 165 pounds, lift hard, take supplements, and eat righ its just stupid

Ession

Awards
haha this just makes me mad that i eat 4000 calories a day and way 165 pounds, lift hard, take supplements, and eat righ its just stupid

Your macros could be off.

Your training could be terrible.

You may not be resting enough.

Or heck, you may not even be eating 4k unless you're counting.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
Your macros could be off.

Your training could be terrible.

You may not be resting enough.

Or heck, you may not even be eating 4k unless you're counting.
This is very true. Nothing happens overnight either. Remember the bulking triangle Workout Nutrition Sleep. All three being equally important. Without any one of these you will not gain muscle.

01Lightning

Awards
You're not alone lol. My brother is the same height as you and same weight.. He can't add on weight, but yet he still continues to get stronger.

Ession

Awards
Why are people having such a hard time adding weight? Seriously it's not that difficult.