Evaluate My Diet

Dynasty90

Awards
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 170lbs
Body Type: Ecto/Meso combo or "skinny fat"
Goal: Lean, athletic look. Lean out while gaining muscle.

Meal 1

16oz skim milk
1/2 cup oats
1 heaping scoop peanut butter
1 scoop whey

Meal 2
4 whole egss
2 potatoes
16oz Sunny D

Meal 3

12" Italian sub
16oz water

Meal 4
6 oz chicken breast
1/2 can baked beans
16oz water

Meal 5

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
16 oz skim milk

Meal 6

8 oz skim milk
1 scoop whey

Calories = 3950
Fat = 140
Carbs = 400
Protein = 270

I want to lean out, so I understand I need to lower my body fat. However, I also want to build muscle. How can I lower my body fat (cut calories) while building muscle (surplus calories)?

These numbers aren't exactly down to the last macro nutrient, but fairly close. Can I accomplish my goal following these numbers? Any suggestions?

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I would change the sunny d to real oj. Then I would change the italian sub to turkey and have it on whole grain bread. You can accomplish your goals this way. If you train hard enough, and do some cardio to help you eat more. You can adjust your calories up or down based on your first few weeks results. If you dont like what you see in the mirror than adjust your calories.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Unless you are completely brand new to lifting, then you will have to pick a primary goal. Either lose bodyfat or gain muscle mass. The muscle mass you have might be more evident if you lose some fat, but you aren't going to build any significant amount of muscle mass while on a calorie deficit to lose fat. As far as your listed diet, it has plenty of protein, so that aspect is fine. Beyond that, just adjust your carb and fat intake until your calorie intake yields the result you are after (fat loss or muscle mass gain).

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I know that. I was just feeding off the fact that most new to lifting will think they are both losing fat, and gaining muscle just from what they initially see in the mirror the first month or so. You are correct though.

ouTTKAst

ouTTKAst

Awards
I would change the sunny d to real oj. Then I would change the italian sub to turkey and have it on whole grain bread. You can accomplish your goals this way. If you train hard enough, and do some cardio to help you eat more. You can adjust your calories up or down based on your first few weeks results. If you dont like what you see in the mirror than adjust your calories.
Definitely would agree to making the suggested switches

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I use a good multi vitamin, Barleans fish oil, DAA, Tribulus, avena sativa, urtica diotica, etc, glutamine, BCAA, Maximize V2, Rightnow I am mixing muscle millk light with Optimum whey for a 50 gm shake. IT tastes great.

WetWorks

Awards
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 170lbs
Body Type: Ecto/Meso combo or "skinny fat"
Goal: Lean, athletic look. Lean out while gaining muscle.

Meal 1

16oz skim milk
1/2 cup oats
1 heaping scoop peanut butter
1 scoop whey

Meal 2
4 whole egss
2 potatoes
16oz Sunny D

Meal 3

12" Italian sub
16oz water

Meal 4
6 oz chicken breast
1/2 can baked beans
16oz water

Meal 5

Peanut butter and jelly sandwich
16 oz skim milk

Meal 6

8 oz skim milk
1 scoop whey

Calories = 3950
Fat = 140
Carbs = 400
Protein = 270

I want to lean out, so I understand I need to lower my body fat. However, I also want to build muscle. How can I lower my body fat (cut calories) while building muscle (surplus calories)?

These numbers aren't exactly down to the last macro nutrient, but fairly close. Can I accomplish my goal following these numbers? Any suggestions?
your ratios are way off. research Ketosis diet or Paleo diet.

protein 340g
carbs 100g
fat 100g

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I have done Keto diets for Contest purposes. Brother, I would keep the carbs whole grain, but dont overdo it. I would keep the carbs to around 25 gm per meal, and 40 pre, and post workout if you are training hard. Minimize the fat for your post workout meal, to maximize absorption. This is where whey isolate comes in with creatine, glutamine, and simple carbs. Dextrose is about the best. Remember to do cardio in the AM on empty stomach if you can.