BULKING HELP!!!!

FittTitt

Awards
hey guys just have a small question im 155lbs and am wondering how much calories i would need daily along with carbs protein and fat to gain lean weight. Now ive worked out myself that i need around 2926 calories i got this by multiplying my weight by 19 and this is what i got for :

Fat - 462g (3g per lb of bodyweight)
Carbs -462g same as above
Protein - 308g (2g per lb)

would this be an accurate calculation to gain lean mass i read on another forum that a 225lb guy needed just 400g of fat to gain weight and i thought that the bigger you were the more you needed so i mite be way off and would just like to be put on track
Thanks guys in advance.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You need to do some recalculating. 462g of fat is already over 4000 calories just by itself.

FittTitt

Awards
yea i was reading a forum last night and it says to take in 3g of carbs and fat per lb of bodyweight im so glad i found the post about the 225lb guy saved me from becoming obese in a week.
How would i work out my caloric intake and other needs to bulk up

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I would focus more on a big balanced breakfast of 4 eggs, oats, and whole grain toast with peanut butter, or butter and jam. Then the pre workout meal, and post workout meal should be substantial. Then you shouldnt need more than about 100 gm of fat in a day. Eat plenty of beef, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, whole grain bread, peanut butter, rice, veggies, etc. Cook your meals with olive oil. Use gainer shakes, or protein blends with flax, or macadamia nut oil between meals, and before bed. Take enzymes for digestion, and Train hard to make all those calories lean muscle. Do just enough cardio to stimulate your hunger. Good luck son

FittTitt

Awards
I would focus more on a big balanced breakfast of 4 eggs, oats, and whole grain toast with peanut butter, or butter and jam. Then the pre workout meal, and post workout meal should be substantial. Then you shouldnt need more than about 100 gm of fat in a day. Eat plenty of beef, chicken, eggs, cottage cheese, whole grain bread, peanut butter, rice, veggies, etc. Cook your meals with olive oil. Use gainer shakes, or protein blends with flax, or macadamia nut oil between meals, and before bed. Take enzymes for digestion, and Train hard to make all those calories lean muscle. Do just enough cardio to stimulate your hunger. Good luck son
Thanx man you help set things straight for me. Diet always pickles me and i know its crucial trainings the easy part, im not shy of hard work :p thanks again dude.

Dirty music

Awards
  • Established
3g x you body weight in fat?you gonna get fatttttt,lol.around half to 1x should be more then enough,unless your trying to be a power lifter or something

NPC Ohio

NPC Ohio

Awards
Fat should max out at 20% of your diet.

300+g is asinine

For you, 50-75g is your limit.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How would i work out my caloric intake and other needs to bulk up
its pretty easy. take where you are eating now, find a way to squeeze in 400-500 more calories. And if you aren't gaining as fast as you want, find a way to add more. There is no guaranteed calculation of macros for perfect gains for everyone, and no evidence that all that much more than 1g/lb of bodyweight is necessary. a pound of muscle contains 160g of protein in it, why would someone need 320g of protein a day to add 2lbs a week?

Keeping healthy fats at 20%+ of your intake is a sound recommendation, beyond that you really need to start figuring out what your calorie intake is now

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Very sound knowledge. I have just chosen to count gm of protein to a point. I mostly just measure my meals, and go by my instincts after years of practice. If I am not gaining fast enough, or not losing fast enough I will add a meal, or cut back as needed.
You will figure it out in time.

FittTitt

Awards
lol thanks for all the input guys very helpful, i really didn't even realize my calculations were off by so much i took it for granted that the guy waffling nonsense was right. note to self for future ref ;) thanks again dudes

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
I will be doing a clean bulk the next few months, since I will no longer be able to do the san diego show in march. I will be eating 4 to 5 food meals with 2 shakes. I will also eat foods like greek nonfat yogurt, clean take out food since I will be living on the ship a few months. Lots of carbs, and lots of protein. I will supplement healthy fats with peanut butter, fish oil, and CLA. I will do 20-30 minutes of cardio 3-5 times a week to minimize fat gain. I will train 5- 6 days a week, and have at least sunday off.

TehProdigy

TehProdigy

Awards
  • Established
I'm also gathering a hi calorie/carb/protein diet. A great protein mass gaining shake you can make right at home.
2cups 2% milk
3tbsp peanut butter
1-2 scoops whey protein(if one scoop is ~25g or more protein, stick with 1)
1/2cup oats(chunky, but what the hell, think about the future ;)

this is all around:
900 cals
40g fats
65g carbs
55g protein

Great weight gaining shake.
I'm making a weight gaining diet for january-feb so If anyone has any suggestions It would help both Fitt and I.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm also gathering a hi calorie/carb/protein diet. A great protein mass gaining shake you can make right at home.
2cups 2% milk
3tbsp peanut butter
1-2 scoops whey protein(if one scoop is ~25g or more protein, stick with 1)
1/2cup oats(chunky, but what the hell, think about the future ;)

this is all around:
900 cals
40g fats
65g carbs
55g protein

Great weight gaining shake.
I'm making a weight gaining diet for january-feb so If anyone has any suggestions It would help both Fitt and I.

Shakes are always a good idea for bulking.

As far as the chunky oats problem, just throw the oats in your blender first and grind them up into a powder (there will still be some whole pieces, but mostly it'll be powder). Works even better if you have an electronic coffee grinder. Those things turn oats into powder real quick! And powdered oats (steel ground oats) are great for shakes.

You can check out the link in my signature for more information on drinkable meals.

TehProdigy

TehProdigy

Awards
  • Established
Shakes are always a good idea for bulking.

As far as the chunky oats problem, just throw the oats in your blender first and grind them up into a powder (there will still be some whole pieces, but mostly it'll be powder). Works even better if you have an electronic coffee grinder. Those things turn oats into powder real quick! And powdered oats (steel ground oats) are great for shakes.

You can check out the link in my signature for more information on drinkable meals.
You toss them in just by themselves at first?

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
i love making home made gainer shakes. i like making smoothies too. I add fruit, glutamine, BCAA, Creatine, whey protein, and flax oil. Its breakfast of champions when you sleep in a bit.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You toss them in just by themselves at first?
Yeah, if all you have is a blender.

Just throw the oats in the blender, cover the top and turn the blender on. Most of the time I have to pick up my blender and shake it around a little just so the oats in the middle get tossed up enough to get shredded by the blades. If you just throw the oats in without shaking the blender around then you'll get chunky oats surrounded by powder. But if you shake it around, most of the oats turn powdered. You'll still have small pieces of oats among the powder, but it's not a big deal at all. An electronic coffee grinder works best!

So I throw the oats in the blender, turn them into powder, then add the rest of my ingredients and blend them up. Definitely works best with milk. I always use milk and a banana, which I think helps suspend the oats and doesn't allow them to settle as easily. For example, if you used water and oat powder, you could blend all day but the oats would settle to the bottom. The milk and banana keep the oats suspended throughout the solution so the oats don't settle (considering the oats have been turned to powder).

Most of time my shakes include: 1/2 cup of oats (powdered), 1 banana, 2 cups milk, 1 scoop protein powder. But if you want more, just add more. Though, if you want to add more oats, say 1 cup, I would recommend using more milk (or the same amount of milk plus some water). If you use a lot of oats and don't increase the amount of liquid (i.e, milk) then the shake becomes chunky. But if you get the ingredient ratios just right, drinking them is a pleasure. Taste like a dessert!!! I drink at least one of these every day.

I don't know why anyone would ever buy a meal replacement product when they could just make their own for way cheaper! And homemade always taste better! And you know exactly what's going into them!

!!! ;)

Peace

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Too much fat?? Really. I believe fat produces test, lubricates joints, helps with fat soluble vitamins etc. Where is the fat in the shake? Milk, in His, or Flax in mine? Or are you talking about the beginning of this thread? Be specific, or quote someone.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, if all you have is a blender.

Just throw the oats in the blender, cover the top and turn the blender on. Most of the time I have to pick up my blender and shake it around a little just so the oats in the middle get tossed up enough to get shredded by the blades. If you just throw the oats in without shaking the blender around then you'll get chunky oats surrounded by powder. But if you shake it around, most of the oats turn powdered. You'll still have small pieces of oats among the powder, but it's not a big deal at all. An electronic coffee grinder works best!
I'll add that its sort of handy to grind up a bunch of oats at once if you are doing this, that way you can manage to just scoop it into a blenderbottle with the other ingredients and not need to use the regular blender or coffee grinder every day

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think thats just a cost thing, you can get oats for under $1 a pound in small containers, and most non-bulk packed oat flour is more like $3+ a pound.

WetWorks

Awards
310g protein everyday
200g to 300g carbs everyday
100g fat preferably EFA's everyday

calories are just numbers, you need to pay more attention to your ratios. Protein is KING!

TehProdigy

TehProdigy

Awards
  • Established
310g protein everyday

calories are just numbers, you need to pay more attention to your ratios. Protein is KING!
to a certain point you could say that:p

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
310g protein everyday

No, you are competely wrong here in that the ratios are almost meaningless. You have a threshold amount of protein that you need, and anything over that gets convered by gluconeogenisis to glycogen anyhow. And then beyond a certain level of essential fatty acids, the total calorie count is all that matters as far as gaining mass or losing mass.

WetWorks

Awards
No, you are competely wrong here in that the ratios are almost meaningless. You have a threshold amount of protein that you need, and anything over that gets convered by gluconeogenisis to glycogen anyhow. And then beyond a certain level of essential fatty acids, the total calorie count is all that matters as far as gaining mass or losing mass.

I'm talking about the best way to gain muscle mass. if you want to gain only mass than eat everything under the sun. Protein is the only thing that builds muscle. carbs are for energy only or converting to fat storage if you eat to many calories " there is no essential carbohydrate". fat is for stimulating hormones and also for energy.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Your bulking bro, get them carbs down you atleast 2g x BW. You don't need as much protein when bulking 1.5g x BW is fine and just focus on getting in some good fats.

Use a spreadsheet if you have to, I have all my meals planned out in Excel, I know exactly how many calories, fats, carbs etc... I am getting.

This way, its easier to assess how much more/less I need if weight is dropping/staying the same etc....

I would not be so concerned with overeating if bulking, putting on muscle is frikkin hard and takes a lot of calories. Aim for around 1/2 lb gain a week.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm talking about the best way to gain muscle mass. if you want to gain only mass than eat everything under the sun. Protein is the only thingdv that builds muscle. carbs are for energy only or converting to fat storage if you eat to many calories " there is no essential carbohydrate". fat is for stimulating hormones and also for energy.
still wrong.there are basic threshold amounts of efas and protein, beyond which where the calories come from is irrelevant. You need around 90 g protein for maintenance and a pound of muscle has 160g in it. And you can't build a pound of new muscle a day so anything more is used as energy instead. You have around 20-50g of EFA needs. Get all that and eat above maintenance and you'll gain lean mass. Where those excess calories come from makes just about no difference.

WetWorks

Awards
still wrong.there are basic threshold amounts of efas and protein, beyond which where the calories come from is irrelevant. You need around 90 g protein for maintenance and a pound of muscle has 160g in it. And you can't build a pound of new muscle a day so anything more is used as energy instead. You have around 20-50g of EFA needs. Get all that and eat above maintenance and you'll gain lean mass. Where those excess calories come from makes just about no difference.
well your at one end of the spectrum of belief and I'm at the other end. you sound like what they're indoctrination in school now days. I've never experienced or know anyone that is built well eating so little protein. anyone I've ever seen eating so little protein look scrawny and never get no where with muscle growth.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well your at one end of the spectrum of belief and I'm at the other end. you sound like what they're indoctrination in school now days. I've never experienced or know anyone that is built well eating so little protein. anyone I've ever seen eating so little protein look scrawny and never get no where with muscle growth.
I'm using medical studies, not broscience. And maybe you misunderstood. 90 g a day will maintain a 220 lb guy. Add another 160 a day for enough to add a pound of muscle a day (which is impossible) for a total of 250 and you have more than enough protein to gain as much lean mass as you possibly can.

WetWorks

Awards
I'm using medical studies, not broscience. And maybe you misunderstood. 90 g a day will maintain a 220 lb guy. Add another 160 a day for enough to add a pound of muscle a day (which is impossible) for a total of 250 and you have more than enough protein to gain as much lean mass as you possibly can.
I did misunderstand. that amount is above maintaining said body weight. your medical study was done on sedentary people and not athletic people. just cause its a medical study doesn't mean its not flawed or full of holes. my broscience has proven that 1.5g to 2g protein per pound of body weight equals great results. if you have good genetics you can get away with 1.5g protein per pound of body weight.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did misunderstand. that amount is above maintaining said body weight. your medical study was done on sedentary people and not athletic people. just cause its a medical study doesn't mean its not flawed or full of holes. my broscience has proven that 1.5g to 2g protein per pound of body weight equals great results. if you have good genetics you can get away with 1.5g protein per pound of body weight.
No, the studies were done on resistance trained athletes with DEXA scans before and after to determine precise body comp. But back to the point, so long as you are getting anywhere over 150-175 g of protein daily (not counting on an anabolic cycle) you have more than enough surplus protein to gain the half pound or so that is all you can add in a week. So the macro ratios are pretty well meaningless once you pass the necessary thresholds for essential aminos and fatty acids.

WetWorks

Awards
No, the studies were done on resistance trained athletes with DEXA scans before and after to determine precise body comp. But back to the point, so long as you are getting anywhere over 150-175 g of protein daily (not counting on an anabolic cycle) you have more than enough surplus protein to gain the half pound or so that is all you can add in a week. So the macro ratios are pretty well meaningless once you pass the necessary thresholds for essential aminos and fatty acids.
I see where your coming from. protein is the only thing that builds muscle. fat is needed for hormones and energy. carbs are needed for the brain, energy, but very little amount and their is no essential carb. excess amounts of crabs and fat you store fat. its very hard for your body to convert protein into fat. best thing to do is take digestive enzymes, so you can absorb more. science likes to push low protein diets and low fat diets for some reason. when in all actuality protein and fat are the most important to growth and well being.

SolidusSnake

SolidusSnake

Awards
  • Established
LOL. Maybe he does. I wish I did.
LOL, no you dont. I do. And it is a slow process to build muscle mass, even with AAS aid. T3 is so catabolic.. I have excessive T3 production.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
True. I definitely discovered I am not eating enough. My weight is not increasing. I know this is not about me, but just to throw in a real time example to what was just said.