on-cycle diet questions

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Hello, let me post my current stats first, then get to the questions...

Height: 175cm
Weight: 77kg
Currently starting wk2 of a mdrol cycle.

My daily maintenance calorie use is about 2400. I've been intaking about 1,000 over maintenance for the past week, and am currently having trouble keeping that up since my appetite has been going down. Also, I would like to keep my leg muscle growth to a minimum, but would like everything else to increase as much as possible. Reason being that my legs are rather strong in comparison to upper body. I can squat 130kg for my last set of a 5x5. Although not spectacular, it's sure a lot better than my 77.5kg bench IMO.

So the question is that, will a diet that's ~500-800 above maintenance on leg and off days, and ~1500+ above maintenance on all other days be practical for my goals? I've heard that many people gain about 15lbs while on an mdrol cycle, and that calculates to an average of 2500 above maintenance per day for a 3wk cycle... that is almost impossible for me since I'm already using 3-4 shakes per day to reach my current caloric intake.

Maybe the kick in the 2nd week of mdrol will skyrocket my appetite? But I haven't felt that "kick" just yet... It would be wasy to scarf down some fast food, but that's not what I want to do... sticking with healthy meals and a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat split. Should I change up the nutrition intake proportions to have more carbs and protein? I know MDrol loves carbs, but 450g~ of carbs seems like a ton already.

thanks.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wait, what exactly are you asking here? I'm not sure I follow...Simplify your question bro lol.

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, my mind's all over the place.. LOL

1. Will a diet that's ~500-800 above maintenance during leg and off days, and ~1500+ above maintenance on all other days be okay?

2. I'm currently on a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat split. Should I change up the nutrition intake proportions to have more carbs and protein or is it okay as-is?

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, just keep this basic rule of thumb in mind. Anabolic compounds increase the bodys ability to utilize proteins, and keep the body in a positive nitrogen balance. Only protiens contain nitrogen, and essential for the build-up of tissue in the body. Carbohydrates, provide glycogen/stored energy within muscle, and provide energy output/contractile force production. Increasing carb intake will alow muscles to look "full" basically. As a nutrition counselor tell bodybuilding clients to focus on lean proteins, and complex carbs. Poly and mono unsaturated fats are "GOOD" fats (peanuts, flax oil etc.)

I don't think I answered your question, but I just felt like rambling...ahahaha.

FittTitt

Awards
Why don't you want to train your legs heavy im near sure i read somewhere that your body overall will be more anabolic if major muscles are worked like the chest back and quads meaning that hypertrophy will happen a lot faster giving better results so even if your looking to beef up your upper-body it pays if you work your legs to. someone please correct me if im wrong because i don't want to be dishing out bad advice but im pretty sure it goes something like that.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Why don't you want to train your legs heavy im near sure i read somewhere that your body overall will be more anabolic if major muscles are worked like the chest back and quads meaning that hypertrophy will happen a lot faster giving better results so even if your looking to beef up your upper-body it pays if you work your legs to. someone please correct me if im wrong because i don't want to be dishing out bad advice but im pretty sure it goes something like that.
He's on cycle, training his legs heavy aren't going to increase anabolism or his natural test, etc.. But doing heavy compound excercises will help growth overall..

OP, eating less on leg days won't make your legs grow less, your legs will be growing every day while they recover, so simple answer is, if you don't want your legs to grow more - train them less.. Camaaan bro this should be obvious ;) You can keep training them, but don't keep adding weight, and they shouldn't grow too much. Maybe even lower the weight and do some endurance work with them, then at least they can benefit somehow from the cycle, while you focus on hypertrophy on other areas.

bashman

bashman

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, my mind's all over the place.. LOL

1. Will a diet that's ~500-800 above maintenance during leg and off days, and ~1500+ above maintenance on all other days be okay?

2. I'm currently on a 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat split. Should I change up the nutrition intake proportions to have more carbs and protein or is it okay as-is?
Your body does not work on a 24hr basis, meaning it does not matter if you only take 800kcals on leg day and then 1500kcal other days, because you are still going to be in a calorie surplus throughout the week. 1500kcal surplus a day seems a bit OTT anyway.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's on cycle, training his legs heavy aren't going to increase anabolism or his natural test, etc.. But doing heavy compound excercises will help growth overall..

OP, eating less on leg days won't make your legs grow less, your legs will be growing every day while they recover, so simple answer is, if you don't want your legs to grow more - train them less.. Camaaan bro this should be obvious ;) You can keep training them, but don't keep adding weight, and they shouldn't grow too much. Maybe even lower the weight and do some endurance work with them, then at least they can benefit somehow from the cycle, while you focus on hypertrophy on other areas.
Well said

gaijininjapan

Awards
  • Established
Your body does not work on a 24hr basis, meaning it does not matter if you only take 800kcals on leg day and then 1500kcal other days, because you are still going to be in a calorie surplus throughout the week. 1500kcal surplus a day seems a bit OTT anyway.
It does seem a bit OTT, but how are people gaining 15lbs in one 2wk cycle? that's ~2500 extra cals per day! PHs don't make mass appear out of nowhere afaik.

I want my legs to get stronger but not bigger, but I guess there's really not too much I can do about it on-cycle. Thanks for the input. I'll just stick with my routine and home I can still fit into my pants in 2 weeks. LOL