Giant Pixie Sticks for Post-WO Carbs?

radiodude

radiodude

Awards
It's pretty much pure dextrose. I've been using powered Gatorade and that's been working well, but what are your thoughts on these? I've basically got an unlimited supply lying around at work.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I go with carbs immediately post workout, I opt for WMS. But if I'm in fat-loss mode, I just go whey isolate about 10-15 minutes after lifting and then a whole food meal w/ protein and complex carbs about an hour after the shake.

I also gain weight incredibly easily and am rather carb-sensitive, so that's just my take on it :cool:

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
If your already a dextrose user, then do it. Im not gonna tell you to spend hard earned money to avaoid any potential sweetners. Are you asking about dextrose in general, or just if their is something wrong with this particlar product?

radiodude

radiodude

Awards
If your already a dextrose user, then do it. Im not gonna tell you to spend hard earned money to avaoid any potential sweetners. Are you asking about dextrose in general, or just if their is something wrong with this particlar product?
Recently became a post workout dextrose user and like it thus far. I guess I'm asking if all dextrose is created equal and if these sound like a viable option.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I don't see the point. I feel better, look better, and perform better using a nice complex carb after training. Just because something is what's always done doesn't mean its always right.

radiodude

radiodude

Awards
I don't see the point. I feel better, look better, and perform better using a nice complex carb after training. Just because something is what's always done doesn't mean its always right.
Well I'm certainly not saying I know what's best for post workout carbs. In fact, I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on the matter. Either way, cost effectiveness is a high priority for me personally. So no WMS for this guy.

My "beef" with complex carbs post workout is that I typically workout later in the day. During a cut, I try to rid every meal of carbs after my post workout window. So simple sugars are used quickly for refueling and then I'm carb-free for the rest of the night. Maybe this isn't what's best. I'd love to hear other's point of view.

radiodude

radiodude

Awards
For me, this has been an ever-changing protocol. I always did just whey, then added oats, then changed to fruit until I leaned that it takes longer to process than dextrose, so I finally moved in that direction.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When you've made your alterations from whey to whey+oats to whey+dextrose, what have you noticed? Were they isolated changes so that nothing else could have affected your results?

I'd say that would be your indicator as all bodies react differently. If you're looking to cut and work out later in the day, there's nothing wrong with just rocking protein and going without carbs. But again, I'd say let your past results determine what route you go.

radiodude

radiodude

Awards
When you've made your alterations from whey to whey+oats to whey+dextrose, what have you noticed? Were they isolated changes so that nothing else could have affected your results?

I'd say that would be your indicator as all bodies react differently. If you're looking to cut and work out later in the day, there's nothing wrong with just rocking protein and going without carbs. But again, I'd say let your past results determine what route you go.
Yeah, it's really tough to say. For the last few months, the time during which these changes were all made, I've been on a cut and haven't really seen either a definitive increase or decrease in any direction. But that's probably because my diet is so dialed in when it comes to macros and my cardio has been on point as well.

There's so many factors, for both bulking and cutting, that seem to play a part in your success. Which is most likely why I just can't figure this one out for certain.

It very well may not make much of a difference either way, just wanted to know what you guys thought. For my bulk that starts in a couple of weeks, I'll probably just go with a combo of simple and complex to play it safe. If I add bodyfat too quickly, I can always adjust accordingly.

colbran

Awards
where do you find giant pixie sticks ? used love em when i was a kid . could be a new marketing strategy , getem at gnc . lol

mkretz

mkretz

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yea, its all gonne depend on ur goals, body type, and what time you train i feel is the most omportant.....if you work out late at night why not jsut fuel up all day with ur carbs that way ur full of energy, and whatever carbs u dont take in post workout ull be takign throughout the next day so ull be full again come workout time, if you work out early then extra carbs arent gonna hurt u jsut adjust accordingly afteroards. In regards to dextrose, pixie ssticks are dextrose so y the hell not i used to do it, worked fine for me, and they taste so damn good lol plus saving money is always a plus! :)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/51627-perfect-postworkout-protein.html#post612908

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/32349-after-workout-shake-2.html#post351069

*** http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/19216-bobo-your-thoughts.html ***
Some things that need to be cleared up:

Muscle glyocogen replenishment doens't NEED to be as fast as possible. Whether the carb source comes from dextrose, frucutose, sucrose, lactose or whatever, the rate of proteins synthesis remains the same. The negative effects of high GI at large amounts just rear its ugly head over time.