My diet and a few ?s

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I want to keep bulking through winter then cut in spring for track season. I already tried to discuss this but the guy helping me wouldnt look past the LEAN MASS, which was right, but didnt answer my question about when to quit bulking and some tips on how to cut.

16 YO 5'9" 180 around 12% BF

Diet:

7am:Usually peanutbutter waffles (2) aka whole grain waffles with peanut butter spread, some fruit, and about 3 cups skim milk
1130:2 cups milk, 2 cups water, 2 slices pizza, 1 chicken sandwhich no bun, vege or fruit
330:protein shake, either torrent monstermass or homemade
700:protein shake, ^
800:Meal for the night, usually some type of meat I can find, sometimes oatmeal, whole grain pastas, sandwhiches with whole grain bread and meat.Also a homemade shake to drink with this as well a 2 or 3 cups of milk
930: two cups water with GABA and ZMA for bed. Before I was eating another meal around this time but since I started these two a week ago I cut it out. Im starting to make gains so I guess the loss of the meal isnt hurting me.

My workouts are obviously working fine, and Im pretty smart about what I do Ive researched and done alot of reading. For now I have no problems with my lifts, and I have been making steady gains. I'm just not sure If I need to cut back on my fat, because I feel like im a little chubby, but I know alot of it is from bloating because Im using creatine mono :(

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I want to keep bulking through winter then cut in spring for track season. I already tried to discuss this but the guy helping me wouldnt look past the LEAN MASS, which was right, but didnt answer my question about when to quit bulking and some tips on how to cut.

16 YO 5'9" 180 around 12% BF

Diet:

7am:Usually peanutbutter waffles (2) aka whole grain waffles with peanut butter spread, some fruit, and about 3 cups skim milk
1130:2 cups milk, 2 cups water, 2 slices pizza, 1 chicken sandwhich no bun, vege or fruit
330:protein shake, either torrent monstermass or homemade
700:protein shake, ^
800:Meal for the night, usually some type of meat I can find, sometimes oatmeal, whole grain pastas, sandwhiches with whole grain bread and meat.Also a homemade shake to drink with this as well a 2 or 3 cups of milk
930: two cups water with GABA and ZMA for bed. Before I was eating another meal around this time but since I started these two a week ago I cut it out. Im starting to make gains so I guess the loss of the meal isnt hurting me.

My workouts are obviously working fine, and Im pretty smart about what I do Ive researched and done alot of reading. For now I have no problems with my lifts, and I have been making steady gains. I'm just not sure If I need to cut back on my fat, because I feel like im a little chubby, but I know alot of it is from bloating because Im using creatine mono :(
First off, when you quit bulking is entirely YOUR decision - YOU decide when enough is enough and you want to stop and change your body goal.

For comprehensive advice and information on effective and successful fat loss, read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss. If you want to lose fat, you need to SERIOUSLY tune your NUTRITION - NUTRITION is the primary factor for fat loss, and whether you are successful or not, will depend on this!

Unless you've had professional help and/or someone who really knows what they're doing show you how to lift and design specific-to-you training programmes, then do not assume that your "workouts are working fine."

Your bloating is almost probably not from creatine monohydrate - it could be, but is highly unlikely - but your DIET. You're 12% bodyfat, just under average body composition for a male.

Re supplements, stick to the basic staples - you don't need to be using anything else, and certainly not GABA - at your age!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Actually I was just reading that and your post on someone elses thread earlier but I wanted to see what was to be said specifically about how my diet is now. What do I need to change? and I know I have some bloating frm the Creatine because I cycle off and on it, and I always lose 4-6lbs of water weight and tighten up. and I have had a few guys I know, one of them is in school for sports training talk to me about my lifts, and a fellow sprinter who runs at the college level now has also given me some advice. I say my workouts are fine because Im seeing good gains, and I have done alot of research. Obviously I don't know everything there is to know, because of my age and experience but dont consider me entirely oblivious.

Ill read that article you posted, thank you.

In the past 10 months Ive gained 38 pounds , and my bench has gone from 7 at about 125 to 7 at 215 with good form. Just some evidence that my workouts might be at least O.K.

Anyways thanks for your help, if you have any specific advice on what parts of my diet I should change when I start my cut, I would appreciate it. Would you suggest a Thermogenic?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually I was just reading that and your post on someone elses thread earlier but I wanted to see what was to be said specifically about how my diet is now. What do I need to change? and I know I have some bloating frm the Creatine because I cycle off and on it, and I always lose 4-6lbs of water weight and tighten up. and I have had a few guys I know, one of them is in school for sports training talk to me about my lifts, and a fellow sprinter who runs at the college level now has also given me some advice. I say my workouts are fine because Im seeing good gains, and I have done alot of research. Obviously I don't know everything there is to know, because of my age and experience but dont consider me entirely oblivious.

Ill read that article you posted, thank you.

In the past 10 months Ive gained 38 pounds , and my bench has gone from 7 at about 125 to 7 at 215 with good form. Just some evidence that my workouts might be at least O.K.

Anyways thanks for your help, if you have any specific advice on what parts of my diet I should change when I start my cut, I would appreciate it. Would you suggest a Thermogenic?
You pretty much need to give your diet a complete overhaul - my recommendation would be to get a nutritionist to do this for you; don't just expect someone to do it for you, since to lay it all out specifically for YOU would take a lot of time and effort. Or you can just do more research and try and come up with one for yourself - but a professional is still your best option, IMO.

Good stuff re progress, but if you've only just started lifting within the last year, then newbie gains are to be expected, especially if you're training correctly.

Definitely not - at your age (AND body composition), you do NOT need a thermogenic. Stick to the basic staples.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Alright, thanks. I just finished your article and it reminded me of a few things to continue to keep in mind. of course when I cut my diet is going to be completely different, and I will probably start some fish oil since I will be getting less fat and Ill switch off of a gainer shake. Im going to finish off the products and shakes I have left on my bulk and see if I can make my way up to around 185-190 then try to recomp if I can. I should start my sprinting exercises soon which will help me lose some fat as well. I noticed your guerilla sprint exercise running 20secx8 plus the warmsups, would for me give me about a mile plus the sprints. thats 150+ 2:40 of sprinting, and hour of sprinting yeilds around 8k calories (intheory) so that would be another 350, so thats 500 cals right there. I think I can lower my calories to around 2500 and recomp if I sprint and continue my lifts, and practice a good diet like you suggested.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright, thanks. I just finished your article and it reminded me of a few things to continue to keep in mind. of course when I cut my diet is going to be completely different, and I will probably start some fish oil since I will be getting less fat and Ill switch off of a gainer shake. Im going to finish off the products and shakes I have left on my bulk and see if I can make my way up to around 185-190 then try to recomp if I can. I should start my sprinting exercises soon which will help me lose some fat as well. I noticed your guerilla sprint exercise running 20secx8 plus the warmsups, would for me give me about a mile plus the sprints. thats 150+ 2:40 of sprinting, and hour of sprinting yeilds around 8k calories (intheory) so that would be another 350, so thats 500 cals right there. I think I can lower my calories to around 2500 and recomp if I sprint and continue my lifts, and practice a good diet like you suggested.
Recomping is usually only something very experienced trainees do successfully, since they know how to manipulate their NUTRITION perfectly for it - and nutrition generally IS the key to this. Beginners may experience it for a while when they start, simply because their body is not used to the exercise or changes, doing this as they adapt, and it doesn't last long.

You definitely don't need to do the Guerilla Cardio if you're ALREADY doing sprinting practice - adding more is NOT necessary, and since you're sprint training, that's already enough.

If you want to be good at sprinting, then you need to have someone design you a sprinting AND resistance training programme that is going to better your performance, and you need to ensure that your nutrition does not impact on your performance (because yes, you CAN lose fat and train effectively for performance gains - a trainer worth their salt will know how to achieve this with you).

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yes Ive already discussed this with my coach and some experienced athletes I know. I wasnt saying I was going to add it in addition to, but just saying that as an example doing my sprint practice which is similar to that will burn the same amount of calories, so it will help me during my cut. Yes I know its usually done by experienced trainees. But if Im not successfull then I will just lose some muscle, which is better than an all out cut where I lose alot. I already do a few strength training excercises for my sprinting right now, as well as endurance cardio, like Ill need in the 200. I will start implementing my fast twich workouts this winter.

I also agree about the beginners being able to recomp because its the bodies natural reactions to workout out when you have previously been out of shape. you gain muscle and lose fat. But im at the stage where Im nearing as much muscle as I can pack on naturally, at least in a short amount of time. So Im going to bulk until me weight plateus hopefully around 185 and maintain that weight for a bout a month, then alter my diet so I start to burn fat and retain the muscle. I am already gaining muscle from the new leg evercises Ive been working on to transition from upper body to full body. So the plan is to end up around 185 by november and maintain into december when I will start my cut and sprint training until march.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
Hey bro, eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours. You need more solid protein in the breakfast meal. It will carry you better till you eat again, which would have to be a shake between classes. If you can make it, and put it in a cooler drink it whenever you want, and then wash the shaker out later. Take some sandwhiches, turkey on whole grain bread with low fat american cheese. Good stuff, and quick. Then a solid pre workout meal with beef, and white rice or potato. Very important. Lots of carbs, bcaa, and creatine post workout. I make my own ****tail, of 15 GM BCAA, 50GM CARBS, and 5-10GM Creatine Mono. I love it. You can use some before with your pre workout too. I would Look into CHRIS ACETO's books. Its what I am reading, and after that I base it on years of experience, and knowing how my body reacts to food. Take care. you have plenty of time for trial and error. Its a great teacher.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks for the advice! id love to hit up a shake between classes but schools so tight ***ed about stuff, it would be near impossible to fit it in. I can eat about 730, 1115, and 315. a little too much space but its not bad. I try to get plenty of water and sometimes take something good to snack on if I can get it together. I have been making up this pasta with tuna or chicken or beef or whatever meat I can get, with little btter and stuff. Its good :) but yea Im slowing pulling together the better points of my diet,a nd Ive really upped the fruits and veges too. Im still gettin bigger and Ive actually lost weight despite size and lifts going up so, no big complaint.

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
You are definitely headed in the right direction. I understand the struggle. On the ship they serve 4 meals a day, and I cant always spend a ton on protein and extra food before I go out to sea for a month or more. Do what youre doing, and dont lose faith.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, and ah thats tough man. at least I have a chance to get some food when I want it :p well, I was actually thinkin about what you said this morning for breakfast and today at lunch so its stickin with me haha

Cooky32

Cooky32

Awards
  • Established
3 days and I am back to 6 meals, 4 whole food, 2 shakes and Training 6 days a week. 6-8 oz minimum protein, veggies, and 1 cup brown or white rice.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MMMMM time for me to go eat and you made me hungry haha. I was bulking at 4 meals and two shakes a day too, but I got some type of cold crap that basically destroyed my appetite and dehydrated me to death... I retained 95% of my strength but lost 8 pounds. I am finally get over it and gettin my appetite back, so well see if I can pop back up to 190. then Im gona maintain til winter sets and, and hit a crazy cut for track season this spring. 190-170 is gona be meannnn, and Im gona try to recomp the best I can but its gona be tough. slow and steady is the plan. and very healthy.