good routine to gain weight and size

bcolglazier

Awards
I'm 19, 6 ft tall and about 150 give or take a pound. I am starting to lift again, and I already eat a ton to keep the weight I'm at but I'm looking for a good workout routine that'll really help me gain in size along with weight. I've been lifting in high school and what I've seen is my strength will increase a little bit but my weight will stay, and at 3.5 percent body fat it's really tough to gain weight, so any help would totally be appreciated. Thanks.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm 19, 6 ft tall and about 150 give or take a pound. I am starting to lift again, and I already eat a ton to keep the weight I'm at but I'm looking for a good workout routine that'll really help me gain in size along with weight. I've been lifting in high school and what I've seen is my strength will increase a little bit but my weight will stay, and at 3.5 percent body fat it's really tough to gain weight, so any help would totally be appreciated. Thanks.
First off, :welcome: to AM.

Now down to business :dot:

Check out the following articles re nutrition, supplementation, AND training for gains: Gaining Muscle - they give comprehensive information on all aspects of building mass.

Ultimately, I recommend having a training programme (AND nutrition plan - can't forget your nutrition, since that's what is going to make or break your success with gaining muscle mass!) written specifically for YOU for your goals and needs. That's the BEST way to go.

If you can't afford a professional trainer, then take some time out to research and look around, because there is a TON of information on training for mass!

Just a note that males gain muscle mass best when their body composition is between 8-10% bodyfat. And yes, if you gain muscle mass, you will gain scale weight as well.

150lb at 6 foot is not that big, so you can't be eating that much, and certainly not if you're really at 3.5% bodyfat. Don't be slack on your nutrition, since, as I said, the PRIMARY factor in whether or not you gain muscle mass is NOT your training - it is your NUTRITION!!!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

kevinhy

kevinhy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
First off, :welcome: to AM.

Now down to business :dot:

Check out the following articles re nutrition, supplementation, AND training for gains: - they give comprehensive information on all aspects of building mass.

Ultimately, I recommend having a training programme (AND nutrition plan - can't forget your nutrition, since that's what is going to make or break your success with gaining muscle mass!) written specifically for YOU for your goals and needs. That's the BEST way to go.

If you can't afford a professional trainer, then take some time out to research and look around, because there is a TON of information on training for mass!

Just a note that males gain muscle mass best when their body composition is between 8-10% bodyfat. And yes, if you gain muscle mass, you will gain scale weight as well.

150lb at 6 foot is not that big, so you can't be eating that much, and certainly not if you're really at 3.5% bodyfat. Don't be slack on your nutrition, since, as I said, the PRIMARY factor in whether or not you gain muscle mass is NOT your training - it is your NUTRITION!!!

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman
Precisely.

TipTopShape

TipTopShape

Awards
  • Established
i agree of what kevinhy you just need to muscle up so that you dont look slack of your height

bcolglazier

Awards
Well I'm not in bad shape by any means, I mean 150 at 6 ft isn't bad by at all, I'm actually pretty strong for my size, I just want to show that I'm strong for my size as well, just to bulk up, so I was seeing if anyone knew of maybe a routine or a place to find one so I could get an idea of what I need to be doing to get bigger, I eat enough, my diet is well balanced and everything, just need a new routine so I know what I'm doing.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay for sure, and thanks for the welcome lol. do you know of any places where I can kinda sorta get an idea of a good mass building routine?
READ the article links I gave you re training - there are sample mass building training programmes there. Or go to Mass Gains Programs for a lot more options. Examples off the top of my head are 5x5, 6x6, 10x3, GVT, etc. At the end of the day, as I said, you need to use something that is going to work for you.

Well I'm not in bad shape by any means, I mean 150 at 6 ft isn't bad by at all, I'm actually pretty strong for my size, I just want to show that I'm strong for my size as well, just to bulk up, so I was seeing if anyone knew of maybe a routine or a place to find one so I could get an idea of what I need to be doing to get bigger, I eat enough, my diet is well balanced and everything, just need a new routine so I know what I'm doing.
No one said you were in bad shape.

Again, READ the article links I gave you re training (nutrition and supplementation) - there are sample mass building training programmes there. Or go to Mass Gains Programs for a lot more options. At the end of the day, as I said, you need to use something that is going to work for you.

With all due respect, most people who say they eat enough actually do not, especially those looking for gains and not making any, so definitely make sure that your NUTRITION IS YOUR TOP PRIORITY.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

boricuarage

boricuarage

Banned
Awards
  • Established
if you train naturally your body will gain 2 to 3 pounds a muscle per month... that's half a pound a week.. don't be dissapointed by this number, but that is like 24 pounds in one year...
eat to grow!!!!

tbinnerarity

Awards
no offense, but at 6ft and 150 lbs is not eating a lot at all. I was about 5 10" and roughly 150 not that long ago. I thought i was eating a lot....believe me, I wasn't. And I highly doupt that you are too. Not trying to be harsh, just throwing in my honest advice...

bcolglazier

Awards
no offense, but at 6ft and 150 lbs is not eating a lot at all. I was about 5 10" and roughly 150 not that long ago. I thought i was eating a lot....believe me, I wasn't. And I highly doupt that you are too. Not trying to be harsh, just throwing in my honest advice...
I kinda have to eat alot, I have a very high metabolism, my whole family does, it is possible to eat that much and weigh 150 lbs. you guys mainly missed the whole point though but it's cool. Rosie got me the answer I was looking for so thank you Rosie :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I kinda have to eat alot, I have a very high metabolism, my whole family does, it is possible to eat that much and weigh 150 lbs. you guys mainly missed the whole point though but it's cool. Rosie got me the answer I was looking for so thank you Rosie :)
In the end if you want to gain mass, regardless of how much you think you eat now, you will have to take in more calories. Period. There isn't any workout that will change that. Also, its virtually impossible to sustain life long term at under 4% bodyfat so I'm guessing you got that number from a scale or one of the handheld electronic bs devices.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
post your diet on here. no BS, be true. cause if u BS, u r only cheating yourself. we are here to help you. post a diet and lets see how we can help ya out. you dont grow in the gym, u grow in the kitchen.

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
Did you seriously say 3.5% bf?
Try again...

Anyways, 6ft and 150....you should be stuffing your face.

bcolglazier

Awards
Did you seriously say 3.5% bf?
Try again...

Anyways, 6ft and 150....you should be stuffing your face.
You guys seriously missed the point. I'll worry about my weight. ALL I WANTED, WAS A ROUTINE TO FOLLOW TO GAIN MASS. THAT IS ALL!. Don't worry about what I eat, my body fa, I got that under control. like I said Rosie helped me already, so all you guys still posting are wasting not only my time but yours as well. So unless you have a better routine that I can go with.... don't post.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys seriously missed the point. I'll worry about my weight. ALL I WANTED, WAS A ROUTINE TO FOLLOW TO GAIN MASS. THAT IS ALL!. Don't worry about what I eat, my body fa, I got that under control. like I said Rosie helped me already, so all you guys still posting are wasting not only my time but yours as well. So unless you have a better routine that I can go with.... don't post.
I can tell your new here lol every new person who posts, AM members ask them 143857349572 questions before they answer the question that was asked. i try not to do this so much, but sometimes you need to in order to explain to the newb. your routine isnt as important as diet for mass. but to answer your question, this is one workout routine i rotate through.

Monday - Chest and Squats

3 sets of squat, reps 6 to 8

Barbell Flat - 4 sets, 3 to 5 reps
DB Incline - 3 sets, 8 to 12 reps
Flat DB Flys - 2 sets, 12 to 15 reps
Fly Machine - 2 sets, 12 to 15 reps

Tues - Back
Stiff leg deads - 3 sets, 6 to 8 reps
Sitting V bar row - 3 sets, 8 to 12 reps
Lat Pulldown - 3 sets, 8 to 12 reps
BB or DB Row - 3 sets, 5 to 7 reps

Wed - OFF

Thursday - 5x5
5 sets of 5 reps for the workouts below
Flat Bench, Deadlifts, Squat

Friday - Shoulders/Traps
Follow the reps above.
Shoulder Press, Arnold Press, Front Raises, Shrugs

Sat and Sun OFF

This is more of a workout for a person who is not a complete newb. one important thing is to constantly change your workout routine to maintain muscle confusion and keep constant gains. This is just one workout routine ill do. I rotate through about 5 of them throughout the year. i just like this one alot cause instead of an arm day on thursday, i do a 5x5 day so it helps me break plateaus and stuff.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lol, you won't gain anything with just a routine, OP. Gotta get those calories up!

Wanna gain weight? Think you're eating a lot? Try this for a while:

Breakfast:
6 whole eggs, 6 egg whites
6 pieces bacon
1/2 cup cheese

Snack:
3 scoops protein in 2cups Whole Milk and 2T PB

Lunch:
12 oz Beef, cooked in EVOO
Large handful of Almonds
Veggies
Top it all with a high fat hollandaise sauce

Preworkout Snack:
3 scoops Protein
1 Large Apple
1 Cup Oatmeal
1 T EVCO

Post workout: Same thing

Dinner:
A whole fricking rack of Beef Back Ribs

Snack: A tub of cottage cheese, handful of cashews

On top of all of this, drink a Gallon of milk over the course of the day. Or, my personal preference, periodically take hits of EVCO for the extra calories.

For the record, I don't consider this eating a lot. This a basic, "someday I'll be able to eat like a man" diet. :D

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the 3 things i eat every day include chicken, oatmeal and p&j. ur diet has to be in check!!!!
if u eat oatmeal twice a day (the kind i get come in packets, 38 grams of carbs each packet). if u eat 2 packets twice a day, thats over 150g of carbs from oatmeal alone!!!

bcolglazier

Awards
Lol, you won't gain anything with just a routine, OP. Gotta get those calories up!

Wanna gain weight? Think you're eating a lot? Try this for a while:

Breakfast:
6 whole eggs, 6 egg whites
6 pieces bacon
1/2 cup cheese

Snack:
3 scoops protein in 2cups Whole Milk and 2T PB

Lunch:
12 oz Beef, cooked in EVOO
Large handful of Almonds
Veggies
Top it all with a high fat hollandaise sauce

Preworkout Snack:
3 scoops Protein
1 Large Apple
1 Cup Oatmeal
1 T EVCO

Post workout: Same thing

Dinner:
A whole fricking rack of Beef Back Ribs

Snack: A tub of cottage cheese, handful of cashews

On top of all of this, drink a Gallon of milk over the course of the day. Or, my personal preference, periodically take hits of EVCO for the extra calories.

For the record, I don't consider this eating a lot. This a basic, "someday I'll be able to eat like a man" diet. :D
Dude I'm a growing kid, you don't think I eat that all the time, my family owns tons of nutritional businesses along with various restaurants, I could honestly say I eat that most days, maybe not the whole gallon of milk a day cause I have a sister to share with but most of that I do eat, though instead of the cottage cheese I take down a ton of yogurt and instead of almonds which I hate I eat cashews peanuts, other fatty nut variations. See the guy who says I'm a newb doesn't read obviously because I've already noted that I eat alot, but with what I eat I work off twice as fast, and I am just now reaching 150 form last years 115, so I am in control of what I am eatin, all I wanted to find out is what I should change up compared to my routine that I have already so I could change some things up and work in a different pace along with working more muscles. So those who ASSUME I am a newb should probably mind their own and not post. Don't need your criticism, that's what high school was for, but thanks for the workout, I like it alot actually.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
Aside from all that was stated already, i would say stick to compound lifts and lift every other day. cant go wrong there.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chill, man. :rolleyes: The bottom line? You weigh 150 and you're 6 feet tall. If you think you eat a lot now, wait until you're shooting to go actually get beyond skinny. That's my point.

I never said you were a "newb" and you never supplied a daily caloric intake. We see "HELP! I EAT A TON AND WEIGH 150 AND WANT TO GET THE SWOLLZ!" all the time, so if you don't provide the proof that you actually are eating sufficiently, I'm going to assume that to you 3000 cals sounds like a boatload when it should be snacktime.

If you have your diet in line, good for you, but believe it or not, you probably could learn a thing or two from any sincere advice, such as mine was, on here.

Good luck.

See the guy who says I'm a newb doesn't read obviously because I've already noted that I eat alot, but with what I eat I work off twice as fast, and I am just now reaching 150 form last years 115, so I am in control of what I am eatin, all I wanted to find out is what I should change up compared to my routine that I have already so I could change some things up and work in a different pace along with working more muscles. So those who ASSUME I am a newb should probably mind their own and not post. Don't need your criticism, that's what high school was for, but thanks for the workout, I like it alot actually.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am just now reaching 150 form last years 115, so I am in control of what I am eatin, all I wanted to find out is what I should change up compared to my routine that I have already so I could change some things up and work in a different pace along with working more muscles..
I'd suggest some form of periodization workout potentially like PRRS, but there are a number of others. The exercises + rep ranges change week to week and repeat after some length of time. at least that will build in a higher level of change

TNT716

Awards
bcolglazier, regardless of what you are eating I think the best routine for you would be a workout program including multiple muscle groups. Right now you seem to be extremely cut at 3.5% bodyfat, 150lbs and 6 ft tall but probably have a small frame with a little bit of muscle, I use to be the same at 5' 9" and 135lbs when I was 17, that's when I got serious about lifting....

Incorporate multiple joint exercises, this will do a number of things....
Squats, deadlifts, cleans, snatchs, military presses, bench presses, etc.

These are going to workout multiple muscle groups at the same time which will cause your body to make more muscle on mostly every part of your body because you are forcing your body to get bigger and stronger with these lifts. Also, with how young you are you have A LOT of natural testosterone in your system, 2/3's of your body's testosterone can be stored in your quads and hamstrings, these exercises will use that testosterone causing your body to create more naturally...

...also use heavy weights with fewer reps and more sets, perhaps 5x5's or german volumization workouts will help, but if you do use more concentrated lifts use more reps, somewhere between 6-8 for smaller muscle groups...

...hope this helps, eat eat eat, protein, complex carbs and calories...I am a hardgainer and I'm still trying to bulk up and I realize how hard this can be...p.m. me in a month or two and lemme kno how you're doing

bcolglazier

Awards
To all of you guys who helped out, thanks alot for the advise, I lifted and ate alot more for three months, and took alot of vitamins and a pre workout supp. but I gained 20 pounds and feel great now./

pezdog1

Awards
Go heavy!!!!!! Training for power and strength will get you big. Concentrate on your major lifts: Squats, deads, bench, SLDL, overhead press(behind the neck optional), parallel bar dips and weighted pull-ups. Brother you will get big and strong.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To all of you guys who helped out, thanks alot for the advise, I lifted and ate alot more for three months, and took alot of vitamins and a pre workout supp. but I gained 20 pounds and feel great now./
No worries - fantastic effort :)