Can't gain weight

soccerkid10

Awards
Hi i am 17 years old and i have been stuck at 127 pounds for a while now. I play professional level soccer and i need to gain more weight to help me in my game. I am also open to buying supplements, except i am not looking to do any hormone changing stuff.
Thanks.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Eat a lot more. Im sure it is hard to gain weight since you have to run and stuff...

You are strength training?

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
For the record, i don't do any cardio and i have trouble gaining weight.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi i am 17 years old and i have been stuck at 127 pounds for a while now. I play professional level soccer and i need to gain more weight to help me in my game. I am also open to buying supplements, except i am not looking to do any hormone changing stuff.
Thanks.
If you're not making gains, then you're NOT eating enough for them, period. If you're in the gym and soccer training, then you need to be eating a sh*tload of food to cover your energy expenditure and then to make gains on TOP of that, and I am not joking!

At 17 years old, you don't need any supplements but the basic staples: Creatine and a multivitmain - at your weight, you can get all your good fats, protein, and BCAAs requirements from your diet.

Also, make sure that you're RESISTANCE training to gain that muscle weight, since soccer training is NOT going to do it for you. Make sure you do the bulk of your resistance training in your OFF season, so that you concentrate on soccer (agility, endurance, speed endurance, speed, etc.) during the in-season; and that the weight you gain is LEAN mass.

I recommend reading the articles at Gaining Muscle for an idea re nutrition and training for muscle gains.

~Team APPNUT

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Rosie pretty much summed up everything I was gonna say lol.

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
Casein shake before bed helped me!

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
eat more food! i cant count how many times newb's ask me what i take to gain weight. I tell them i TAKE about 7 meals a day and DONT overtrain. kids in the gym for like 2 hrs a day, 6 days a week! and they do arms and chest every other day. I also have to explain to them that gaining "weight" is easy, just eat Burger King 2X a day and u WILL gain weight!! now building muscle is a slow process more or less. just stick to it, eat good food, get your rest and the gains WILL come!

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
creatine and compound movements will work wonders for ya!

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
eat more food! i cant count how many times newb's ask me what i take to gain weight. I tell them i TAKE about 7 meals a day and DONT overtrain. kids in the gym for like 2 hrs a day, 6 days a week! and they do arms and chest every other day. I also have to explain to them that gaining "weight" is easy, just eat Burger King 2X a day and u WILL gain weight!! now building muscle is a slow process more or less. just stick to it, eat good food, get your rest and the gains WILL come!
The bolded is incorrect.

Nice to meet you, im an ectomorph :)

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
well then use steroids or find another hobby. I was just trying to be helpful to the kid. Not trying to be mean by any means to anyone. If hes 17 yrs old then he should be encouraged to eat healthy and reap the benefits as time goes on.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
ok the bold applies to roughly 95% of americas population.

JComp

Awards
The bolded is incorrect.

Haha me too, i actually lost weight eating fast food two-three times a day every day for about 2 weeks when my mom was in the hospitol. Gained fat, but lost weight.

dropshot001

Awards
you need to find ways to up your calories. drinking a shake with your meals is a good way to do this as you can probably drink your calories easier than eating them.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
well then use steroids or find another hobby. I was just trying to be helpful to the kid. Not trying to be mean by any means to anyone. If hes 17 yrs old then he should be encouraged to eat healthy and reap the benefits as time goes on.
Don't use steriods at 17. Many things depend on your genetic disposition as well. If your entire family is 130lbs then you may have trouble getting much more then that. Also at 17 you really are a young guy. At 17 I was 5'5" and 110lbs, now 13 years later I am much bigger and that is all genetics. Some people natually fill out later then others. So don't plan on going from 120lbs to 180 anytime soon. What you can do is eat a little more, quality foods preferably, and start to track your calorie intake. Look at Phelps during the last Olympics. You heard over and over again how many calories he took in on a daily basis. Learn what your maintenance calories are, what you need to keep your current weight, and start to go up from there. You are extremely active with soccer so you will need more calories then the 17 year old gamer who sits on the couch all day. Post your diet and we an help you further.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
that comment was geared to Killerkanadia and not Soccerkid10. i apologize for the confusion. at 17 your at your prime for growth! eat eat and chase it down with more food! things will work out for ya. I was between 160 and 170 my senior year and over ten years i gained 40 or 50 lbs naturaly. slow and steady does it.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Lots of thick peanut butter (natural) sandwiches and milk.

Hillclimb95

Awards
From what I see a lot of young kids are too concerned with eating perfectly clean, and just don't gain. Some of us need a double hamburger every now and then to put on mass. I know I did. When I raced BMX, I ate over 5000 calories a day and was still 155 dripping wet. Some of these kids probably need 6K+ a day to grow, and in that case sometimes you just need to put away some junk.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
From what I see a lot of young kids are too concerned with eating perfectly clean, and just don't gain. Some of us need a double hamburger every now and then to put on mass. I know I did. When I raced BMX, I ate over 5000 calories a day and was still 155 dripping wet. Some of these kids probably need 6K+ a day to grow, and in that case sometimes you just need to put away some junk.
I agree to an extent, many kids that young can't gain weight because it just isn't natural to them. Thier bodies are still meant to be thin. Genetics is a b*itch. They can gain a little definition and a few lbs though, which is why I would avoid the crap like nasty fast food. I know when ever I ate McD or BK my body just digested it an hour later and I don't think aborbed any of it.

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established
the reason you cant gain weight, is because you dont want to. trust me been there dont that

TeamT10

Awards
Thanks.
can i have this problem please....

but for real, up the calories, maybe a mass gainer? consume a **** load of solid protein foods and bam you golden

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
The bolded is incorrect.

i can/do eat BK twice a day pretty often and not gain any weight.

im definitely not an ecto either

edit : everything i have is NO MAYO

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
I have a hard time gaining naturally, so I don't really try...ha. It's slowwwwwwwww.
Anyways, ya, just keep stuffing your face. Big breakfast is key...

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I never have a big appetite when i wake up, anyone have any suggestions of how to fix this problem?

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
I never have a big appetite when i wake up, anyone have any suggestions of how to fix this problem?
you could try drinkin a shake then doing a little morning cardio to rev your metabolism up.

should make you hungry .

luckily i wake up feeling like i need to eat before something bad happens lol

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im so envious of ectomorphs. Damn it I wish I could do just 1 bulk cycle in my lifetime lol.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I guess not having to cut is good and bad, lol.

Im sure some day my metabolism will slow down.

BryanM

Awards
  • Established
Make a log of everything you eat for the next 5 days and post it here

no bull**** be 100% honest

changing your Diet is going to change the way you look

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
i believe thats the problem with lots of people. they dont know how to eat.

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
i believe thats the problem with lots of people. they dont know how to eat.
Hehehehe...I know what you meant, but c'mon...that's funny. Put food in your mouth, chew, swallow, repeat....

Anyway...I got the same problem, man. Instead, though, I'm in the Army and I'm forced to run about every morning (3-4 miles!). I'm 140 lbs and I could eat BK double whoppers everyday and I'd just waste time and money.

It was mentioned already, but just to reitterate - CARDIO! If you run as hard and intense as you should be to acheive cariovascular fitness then you WILL be hungry after a 30-45 minute session! And anyone that runs (or does any cardio) on a full stomach is crazy. If you are truely pushing yourself then you'd puke if you had a full stomach...or your body just won't allow you to get to peak performance. In the morning before you do anything else is the way to go with Cardio.

Back to the original issue - is there a place I can go (preferrably on THIS site) where I can get a good guideline diet to gain weight? And maybe a homemade shake recipe for a gainer?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
u lookin for a home made weight gainer?

milk or half and half/////chocolate ice cream///// 1 cup of oats//////ice/////1 banana///// 2 raw eggs///// honey////// 2 scoops of whey////// flaxseed///// evoo

this is what i make about twice a day. post workout and at night. for my protein, i have myofusion. when i have the money, i get iso mass. best out there IMO but its 53 bucks for 30 servings

mxmatt15

mxmatt15

Awards
  • Established

milk or half and half/////chocolate ice cream///// 1 cup of oats//////ice/////1 banana///// 2 raw eggs///// honey////// 2 scoops of whey////// flaxseed///// evoo

this is what i make about twice a day. post workout and at night. for my protein, i have myofusion. when i have the money, i get iso mass. best out there IMO but its 53 bucks for 30 servings
hey bro i would just throw in some plain whey, i like dymatize whey. cheap and delicious, 35 bones for like 60 servings and you will still have plenty of calories there

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i used to do 100% Whey but i like myo better. and the cals are the same, but myo has whey as well as other kinds of proteins in it so i dont have to take whey and casein in one day. just one myo and its 33 at the store i go to and it has 66 servings

ChrisSurf

Awards

how much milk, ice cream, honey, flaxseed, and evoo??

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
I keep hearing about flaxseed...but don't know what it is. What's so great about flaxseed?

ChrisSurf

Awards
I keep hearing about flaxseed...but don't know what it is. What's so great about flaxseed?
cold-milled organic flaxseeds are very good for you, loaded with omega's, fatty acids, fiber etc. Took me a bit to get used to the taste now I f'n love them mixed in yogurt or cottage cheese.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont even taste it if its blended in a blender, not shaken in a cup. i add very little milk. just enough to allow the ingredients to mix so add milk as it is blending. this keeps the shake think like u have in supplement shops and smoothie king and stuff. as far as evoo, i pour for about 2 seconds. flaxseed, maybe 1/4 of a cup? oats are the same, but i eat oatmeal after each shake anyways. 3 packets with milk, no sugar. ice cream----add about 4 spoons of it. however that much is. just play with it for a few days and see what amount u like in ur shakes.

tigerbunny

Awards
homemade shake -

4 scoops of whatever protein costco has
4 tbsp peanut butter
2 cups oats
24 oz whole milk
banana if you have one lying around.

this should get you through lunch or the night depending.

even half this recipe should be enough if you arnt used to eating, Im ~245 and bulking atm and its still not exactly easy to hold one of these down if i drink it all at once but if you can I guarantee you will gain.

drinkyboy

Awards
  • Established
homemade shake -

4 scoops of whatever protein costco has
4 tbsp peanut butter
2 cups oats
24 oz whole milk
banana if you have one lying around.

this should get you through lunch or the night depending.

even half this recipe should be enough if you arnt used to eating, Im ~245 and bulking atm and its still not exactly easy to hold one of these down if i drink it all at once but if you can I guarantee you will gain.
yea this will do the the trick! I do this also minus the oats and its very filling, cheap and effective.

crashcrash29

Awards
Dirty bulk brah. 127lbs with all that cardio that is involved in soccer the only way you will put on the pounds is if you eat eat eat lift lift lift eat eat eat lift lift lift and eat somemore.

Ectomorphs will always have a harder time but it's very possible to put on the poundage naturally