Hit a plateau... stuck at 190lbs

The Rob

Awards
I've been gaining steady since my bulk and on average I eat between 3500 and 4000 calories a day but for about a month I've been stuck at 190lbs. Strength has been improving steadily. As for supps I'm currently taking 5g creatine a day, a multi, whey after workouts only and a gainer.

Any recommendations on what I can do to break my plateau?

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Change your routine a little(or a lot). Reps in the 6-8 range with HEAVY weight. Add a half or whole gallon of milk a day. Make protein with it or just drink it. Get more sleep.
The recipe to grow is:
Eat, train, sleep, repeat.

The Rob

Awards
Change your routine a little(or a lot). Reps in the 6-8 range with HEAVY weight. Add a half or whole gallon of milk a day. Make protein with it or just drink it. Get more sleep.
The recipe to grow is:
Eat, train, sleep, repeat.
I change my routine often and I do the "Reps in the 6-8 range with HEAVY weight" thing. I also try to get 8 hours of sleep on average.

DenDestroys

Awards
Increase your calories to 4500. How much protein are you eating a day?

The Rob

Awards
Increase your calories to 4500. How much protein are you eating a day?
You really don't think I'm eating enough with 3500-4000 calories and working out 3 times a week?

I just checked my protein intake (I track everything I eat) and it's on average 200g of protein a day.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
You really don't think I'm eating enough with 3500-4000 calories and working out 3 times a week?

I just checked my protein intake (I track everything I eat) and it's on average 200g of protein a day.
If you have a fast metabolism you can eat 4k and not gain.
Also try a body part a day. Back, chest, legs,arms. abs you can do whenever you want. Do 2 days on, 2 off. Add deads and squats if you don`t already do them.

The Rob

Awards
If you have a fast metabolism you can eat 4k and not gain.
Also try a body part a day. Back, chest, legs,arms. abs you can do whenever you want. Do 2 days on, 2 off. Add deads and squats if you don`t already do them.
Fast metabolism to say the least, lol.
As for squats and deadlifts, they are a must and I've always done them.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Fast metabolism to say the least, lol.
As for squats and deadlifts, they are a must and I've always done them.
Well like I said, 3 things determine growth. Diet, training and sleep. If you are sleeping 8 hours, you feel your training is on, then all that leaves is diet. Add a gallon of milk a day. combined with that add more carbs. Fruit later in the day. Add peanut butter. Just watch that you don`t start gaining bad(fat) weight. Unles you are doing an all out anilnal bulk but I can`t see that with out doing some form of anabolic(not recommending just commenting).

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
I've been gaining steady since my bulk and on average I eat between 3500 and 4000 calories a day but for about a month I've been stuck at 190lbs. Strength has been improving steadily. As for supps I'm currently taking 5g creatine a day, a multi, whey after workouts only and a gainer.

Strength has been increasing, what's the problem? It's not like you're bulking in attempt to get fat.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
How fast to you expect to gain lean muscle mass?

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'd say eat more if your certain your not getting muscle gains. However usually if your strength is going up to are gaining muscle. Remember too that it doesn't matter if your eat 4k, 5k or 6k calories if it's not a surplus at the end of the day your not gaining muscle. Also remember some peoples bodys naturally have adjustments that they make to try to remain at the weight or bodyfat that they are naturally. Some people will start figgiting or moving more, or slight up regulation of the metabolism.

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Floor press and set you clock to 2am and drink a Weight ganier!!!!

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Floor press and set you clock to 2am and drink a Weight ganier!!!!
There is actually some validity to this. Eat before bed or drink a gainer in the middle of the night. You might not gain muscular weight butr it WILL pack on some weight if that`s what you want.

The Rob

Awards
There is actually some validity to this. Eat before bed or drink a gainer in the middle of the night. You might not gain muscular weight butr it WILL pack on some weight if that`s what you want.
I don't like the whole wake-up-in-the-middle-of-the-night thing but I do drink a 1000 calorie shake right before bed. So far it has worked great.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Waking up durring the middle of the night is stupid. Sleep is very important and to disrupt it is a horrible idea. A casin or milk isolate shake will take our body hours to digest anyways. Just eat a large meal if you want before bed.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Waking up durring the middle of the night is stupid. Sleep is very important and to disrupt it is a horrible idea. A casin or milk isolate shake will take our body hours to digest anyways. Just eat a large meal if you want before bed.
Agreed. I wasn`t suggesting getting up for a shake. Only if you wake up hungry.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Pretty simple...up the calories till you gain...

rankbull

rankbull

Awards
  • Established
lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
lets see your 190lbs meaning that like 3950-4300 is maint kcal, protien 300-380grams, carbs should be like 380-500, and fats should be like 100-240. so you wanna gain, take 2 months off from werking out but keep eating the same thing, and yes if you wake up to piss in the middle of the nyte suck back an 8 oz casein shake.

45andalive

Awards

I would suggest looking into Anabolic Pump. For me it has been working pretty good, it breaks down complex carbs so that more can go to your muscles. Also shocking your system might work, so like fast for a whole day and then the next day eat tons of good fats (avacados, dates, nuts, etc...)

UGHQTempus

UGHQTempus

Awards
  • Established
Eat like its going out of style.

The milk guy is spot on (reps coming.) When I want to lean bulk I add an EXTRA glass to milk to every meal I take. Pretty much kills an extra gal a day. But it works.

Total cals matter. Once you stop growing at a certain level of cals then up it 500 until you stop growing again. Everyone's number is different. I cut on about 4800 cals/day and still lose 1-2lbs a week. I'm in the 6-7k range when I'm trying to grow.

When was your last deload? If you've been making good gains for a while you might be overtrained. Take a week off.