Newbie needs a workout routine!

aSKINNYkid

aSKINNYkid

Awards
I haven't really worked out more than a couple of months in highschool (4 years ago!... eek!) but this is what I've been doing, getting some really nice bench press gains but slowing on the weight gain. Biceps are getting stronger but not at the same rate as my chest/back/triceps.

Monday Chest and Triceps
- 3X8 Flat Bench Press
- 3x8-10 Dumbell Fly
- 3x8-10 Inclined Dumbell Press
- 3x8-10 Decline Dumbell press
- 3x8 Cable Tricep Extensions (under chin to waist)
- 3x8 Skull Crushers

Tuesday Biceps and Forearms
- 3x10 Barbell Curls (narrow grip/supinated)
- 3x10 Hammer Curls
- 3x10 Seated Preacher Curls (curl bar)
- 3x10 Wrist Curls
- 3x10 Reverse Curls (palms down)
- Super Set ?Curl Thingies!? Get a larger weight than I usually use and aid one arm lifting the weight up, then letting it down slowly without aid. (3x10 lowering weight between sets with no rest inbetween sets.)

Wednesday Off

Thursday Shoulders and Back
- 3x10 Wide Front-Grip Pullups
- 3x10 Narrow Front-Grip Pullups
- 3x10 Reverse-Grip Pullups
- 3x8 Dumbell Shoulder Press
- 3x8 Dumbell Cuban Press
- 3x10 Cable Rows (sitting on floor with slightly curved bar, wide gripped)
- 3x10 Cable Sternum Pulldowns
- 3x8 Lateral Front Raises (dumbells)
- 3x15 Shoulder Shrugs

Friday Chest Superset
* ALL FLAT BENCH PRESS *
- 10 reps 135lbs
- 8 rep + 10lbs
- 6 rep + 10lbs
- 4 rep + 10lbs
- 2 rep 175lbs
- 4 rep - 10lbs
- 6 rep - 10lbs
- 8 rep - 10lbs
- 10 rep 135lbs
- Max rep small weight (75-80 lbs)

Saturday/Sunday Off

I am aware that this workout may, or more probably is, TERRIBLE. But that's why I am here :box: Also note that I do ZERO:ntome: leg workouts. Is this neccessary to get good gains? I hate having sore legs, I play basketball alot and really don't have adequate equipment to do leg workouts... okay I can do lunges and stuff but... ugh.

I'm not really sure what my maxes are, except my flat bench press which is 205lbs (Shocked myself here). My old PR from 4 years ago was 185lbs and only been doing this workout for 3 weeks.

SUPPS AND DIET
Diet?... Pfft! I need a hand here, the thought of eating "healthy" seems scary. Are there some simple meal plans to get what I need to get some mass? e.g. Peanut Butter, Bread, Fruit, blah? I pretty much just look for protein and carbs out of my meals atm.

I am taking some MASS XXXX from GNC with consists of 70g of protein and 1000 calories (among some other things, creatine and stuff) but just used my last serving today and picked up some Six Star Whey Protein (Professional Formula). I took the protein post workout. I am also on my 3rd day of Pink Magic, hoping it isn't all hype. Noticing some major vascularity though, my recovery doesn't seem to have improved though.

Throw me some advice, call me dumb.. whateva. I'm a newb!

Edit:

I also do Ab Ripper X (from p90x) Monday/Wednesday/Friday.
Probably need to swap this up since I have been doing it for about a month now. What would you recommend to incorporate abs into the routine also?

EQUIPMENT
Bench Press with incline decline.
Dumbless
Curl bar
Weider home gym thingie:
*Butterfly machine
*Pulldown bar
*Pulldown bar can be put on the floor cable to do curls, rows, shrugs, or whatever.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
you dont have a squat rack?

aSKINNYkid

aSKINNYkid

Awards
Naw man =( I workout outside my buddies house... in the Lousiana heat... *cheer*

islandmagic

islandmagic

Awards
  • Established
Bro my two cents just add squats and Ball ball hack Squats That is all you need for legs....

tearingitup

tearingitup

Awards
just my opinion but looks like you need to focus more on your diet than your training buddy.
However, I think you're training with too many exercises for a newbie, chest twice a week with so many exercises is in my opinion overtraining. To begin with keep it really simple. I'm going to put below Arnold Schwarzenegger's beginners routine from his bodybuilding bible. When I started out I used this and gained really well. It's a six day a week routine and pretty intensive but it does work:

With everything, unless otherwise specified do 5 sets of 8 to 12 repetitions

Monday/Wednesday/Friday

Chest:

Bench Presses
Incline Presses
Pullovers

Back:

Chin Ups (do as many as you can at a time until you reach a total of 50 reps)
Bent Over rows
Deadlifts ( 3 sets of 10,6,4 reps to failure)

Thighs:

Squats
Lunges
Leg Curls

Calves:

Standing Calf raises (5 sets of 15 reps)

Abs:

Leg Raises (5 sets of 25 reps each)

Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday

Shoulders:

Barbell Clean and Press
Dumbbell Lateral Raises
Heavy Upright Rows (3 sets of 10,6,4 reps to failure)
Push Presses (3 sets of 6,4,2 reps to failure)

Lower Back:

Straight leg deadlifts (3 sets of 10,6,4 reps to failure)
Good Mornings (3 sets of 10,6,4 reps to failure)

Upper Arms:

Standing barbbell curls
seated dumbbell curls
Narrow grip bench press
standing french press

Forearms:

Wrist Curls
Reverse wrist curls

Abs:

Incline sit ups ( 5 sets of 25 reps)

Keep it intensive and the weight as high as you can without compromising form and you should be good as far as your training is concerned.

tearingitup

tearingitup

Awards
As fas as diet is concerned... you're going to need to eat big to gain big. Eat 5 to 6 times a day. keep protein high... things like eggs, fish, Tuna, chicken, lean red meats. Eat good clean carbs such as rice, sweet potato, pasta. Make sure you include plenty of good fats in your diet too. Look at peanut butter, supplement with some omega 3 oils.

Keep your water intake high and use a good protein shake. Some people like to use creatine and it has some great effects. If you struggle to gain mass, maybe throw in a good quality weight gainer. Hope that helps? keep us posted on your progress!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 37
Vector300 Post Cycle Therapy 1
Nutrition / Health 10
Ethangberg1 Post Cycle Therapy 10
aSKINNYkid Training Forum 1