how much running is too much

Eric160

Awards
  • Established
ive been bulking all spring and summer but am on the xc team although i would like to continue bulking i have no choice but to run with my team in the mornings. runs are usualy 4 to 6 miles and variablre paces. it might be all in my head because even though i weigh the same i feel much less muscular. other than eating as much as i can to compensate for the calories burned what can i do do counteract the catabolism

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Diet and rest are about all you can do besides not running cross-country.

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
Hard to build muscle mass and be a competitive XC runner

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
It is awful hard to build significant muscle during the XC season. As a former XC runner and current coach, however, I can attest to the fact that it is possible to MAINTAIN muscle mass despite heavy running loads.
As you can no doubt guess from my stats, keeping weight on has always been a challenge, but I have had good success with really focusing on adequate rest and nutrition during the season (both for myself and my athletes). You definitely won't get big logging miles, but you can limit the damage and improve your running performance by attending to your caloric and nutritional needs. I highly recommend complex carbs 1-2 hours before workout with a carb/protein meal/shake immediately following. This, paired with solid nutrition throughout the day will do wonders.
If you want some motivation to sustain you through the season, think of it this way--when you hit the gym hard after the season ends you should really blow up (I usually do). I've noticed an effect similar to that experienced by depleted bodybuilders following the conclusion of the XC season and the resumption of heavy lifting.
Good luck!

schwellington

schwellington

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sadly u will need steroids to build mass while running that much

I do not think any running is too much- depending on the body type

I have no problem burning fat or building muscle

but I can pack on fat quick too if not carefull

so I jog 2 times a week for 25-30 mins just to keep fat at bay and I still can build mass- I just add in about 300 extra cals on the days I run

Eric160

Awards
  • Established
It is awful hard to build significant muscle during the XC season. As a former XC runner and current coach, however, I can attest to the fact that it is possible to MAINTAIN muscle mass despite heavy running loads.
As you can no doubt guess from my stats, keeping weight on has always been a challenge, but I have had good success with really focusing on adequate rest and nutrition during the season (both for myself and my athletes). You definitely won't get big logging miles, but you can limit the damage and improve your running performance by attending to your caloric and nutritional needs. I highly recommend complex carbs 1-2 hours before workout with a carb/protein meal/shake immediately following. This, paired with solid nutrition throughout the day will do wonders.
If you want some motivation to sustain you through the season, think of it this way--when you hit the gym hard after the season ends you should really blow up (I usually do). I've noticed an effect similar to that experienced by depleted bodybuilders following the conclusion of the XC season and the resumption of heavy lifting.
Good luck!
currently i run in the mornings do u recomend eating something before runnng i dont throw up that easy but i still cant eat too much
i feel ive been doing every thing i can like taking a ton of aminos morning and night along with weight gainers durring the day
im not to concerned about my running performance my only problem is i am a wrestler also and once xc ends i need to bulk to a certain weight to wrestle
thanks for the help

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Eric
You are definitely on the right track with the aminos and weight gainers during the day. To help you out though, I would recommend having something light before running in the morning. A bagel and a pro shake (or any pro + complex carb meal) about an hour or two before you run will minimize risk of muscle loss and maximize energy.

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
I feel ya from that, except I was a mile relay runner and was on track for scholarship, but my coach still made us run XC during the off season for endurance but we had a running nazi who ran us too much. I couldn't gain weight for the life of me but my $.02 is to load in the carbs, protein, and eat whenever whatever you can. For example I would pack 5 PB&J's (w/ xtra PB) in my backpack and eat one between each class period. Squeezing in calories in small gaps of time make the world of difference bro.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Cross Country and bulking? Maybe your best bet is to simply try and maintain by eating like Michael Phelps.

It's not even just about burning fat from all the calorie expenditure of running. In whatever stresses you put your body under, it will do its best to become efficient at dealing with that stress. In long distance running, a large element of making the body more efficient at what it's doing is to lessen it's weight load. Given that muscle outweighs fat tremendously, the first it WANTS to let go are the body's natural anchor's aka muscle. In cross country, you're not only burning massive calories, but your body will specifically target muscle, as they are seen as an obstruction to optimal efficiency of long distance running. Short of long, lean leg muscles, your upper body will naturally be eaten up.

Again, short of eating like a beast.

Eric160

Awards
  • Established
i really appreciate all the advise
good to see there are other people who have been in my situation and willing to give honest advice from experience

Eric160

Awards
  • Established
Cross Country and bulking? In cross country, you're not only burning massive calories, but your body will specifically target muscle, as they are seen as an obstruction to optimal efficiency of long distance running. Short of long, lean leg muscles, your upper body will naturally be eaten up.

well said this is my biggest concern
i have four weeks from when vc season ends till wrestling starts how much mass should i expect to gain back from muscle memory

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
well said this is my biggest concern
i have four weeks from when vc season ends till wrestling starts how much mass should i expect to gain back from muscle memory
I'm assuming this is a question.

It depends on what you eat and how you lift. In that short amount of time I'd probably do a dirty bulk and just eat whatever and hit the gym hard dude. I didn't lift for a year and i lost about 23lbs and I hit the gym hard for about 6 weeks and ate whatever I could get my hands on and managed to gain it all back. everybody is different but you'll grow once you completely shock your body by switching your workouts from distance running to packing on the calories and lifting hard, so I think you'll grow quite fast, but since everybody is different I can't exactly give you a ball park on keepable gains.