Abs While Bulking...

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
so...keeping improving ab definition while bulking...

is this possible?

I'm starting my second bulking phase and right now I've actually got my abs showing some decent definition but I'm scared that is going bye bye soon and I'm wondering what can be done about it :ntome:

right now i do a pretty decent ab workout 4-5 days a week which inlcudes low reps (20-30) of heavy weight on a few ab machines as well as some incline crunches holding a 35 plate.

my other concern is that my ab workout may start to burn to many calories and may impead my bulk...

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
so...keeping improving ab definition while bulking...

is this possible?
Not really. The nature of bulking means that you are going to add SOME fat and unfortunately the abdominal area is usually where it goes first. If you do a 'lean' bulk you can minimize the fat that you add in addition to muscle however your muscle gains will also be slower.

my other concern is that my ab workout may start to burn to many calories and may impead my bulk...
Then increase your calorie consumption proportionally. Or are you not following a meal plan?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
actually im on a very detailed meal plan
How long have you been on it and what are your results so far? Just adjust calories up or down to achieve your goals.

On another note, you probably don't need to train abs that many times in a week. IMO 2 days/wk would be sufficient and 3 would be plenty.

djrodimus

djrodimus

Awards
well i just started my 2nd bulk phase about a week ago so no results yet but the first time i bulked i gained over 50lbs so gaining weight isn't the issue its keeping as toned as possible is my problem.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I quit doin abs, I need my core for heavy lifting. However, i feel like my regular lifting doesnt hit my obliques, so I do those on an off day usually.

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Doing 4-5 days of hard ab work week is likely overkill, but do whatever you want. If you are worried about the ab work increasing your caloric needs, simply eat more. It's not that difficult to consume the number of calories it would take to cover an ab workout. Ultimately you have to decide how quickly you are comfortable gaing weight. If you go with the "slow bulk" approach make sure that you mentally prepare yourself for the fact that you have to be very patient to see the results.

CCV3

CCV3

Awards
  • Established
I don't do abs when I bulk.