6'6, Needs to gain some weight!

jestes0046

Awards
I am currently 6'6 around 195 Lbs. Basketball player all my life for the most part. My job also requires me to walk around 8-10 miles a day (4x a week) and in 110 degree weather at that.

I did get sick about 3-4 months ago and dropped 15 lbs like nothing and layed off lifting since then.

Now that I am starting back lifting I would like to know some good weight gainer, and a decent bulking diet.

Any tips are appreciated guys thanks alot!

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Eat more than you've ever eaten before, and hit the gym hard. Save your money.

jestes0046

Awards
Haha, I eat alot of pizzas. Some bodybuilder at the gym I go to recommended it, and he's pretty big.

dave12

Awards
  • Established
I am currently 6'6 around 195 Lbs. Basketball player all my life for the most part. My job also requires me to walk around 8-10 miles a day (4x a week) and in 110 degree weather at that.

I did get sick about 3-4 months ago and dropped 15 lbs like nothing and layed off lifting since then.

Now that I am starting back lifting I would like to know some good weight gainer, and a decent bulking diet.

Any tips are appreciated guys thanks alot!
Hi. I agree with what everyone else said, but I have found that for me I gain much better working in the 4-6 rep range. I'm 6'5 and I just don't think that the 8-12 range that is so often recommended translates well to the different body geometry. Just my two cents, though.

jestes0046

Awards
Ahh yeah point taken, now that I think about it, I did 10-12 rep range for awhile and didnt see huge muscle gains but just got stronger.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Try to consume as much protein as you can from whole foods, take in plenty of fats and a decent amount of carbs.

Try and find your maintenance calorie intake and go anywhere from 300-1000 calories over to gain. 1000 may be way too much, but the reason I say 300-1000 is because you can adjust the surplus once you find how many calories you need to take in. You're a BIG guy, and all the walking around in the heat is definitely burning up some calories. Don't waste money on weight gainers, they are full of CRAP.

1 cup of milk - 100 calories, 8 grams protein
1 cup of oats - 300 calories, 10 grams protein, 54 carbs, 5 fats (maybe off)
1 large banana - roughly 200 calories and simple carbs
2 tbsp natty pb- 200 cals, 16g fat, 7grams protein
2 scoops protein (whey/casein blend is best for prolonged absorption)
200-360 calories and anywhere from 40-70 grams protein
ice
sprinkle of cinnamon

if made with casein blend, calories and protein should be on higher end of that range above

1160 calories, 95grams protein(pointless if its ALL whey), simple and complex carbs, fats from pb, oats, milk

jestes0046

Awards
Wow thanks, I'll def do some shopping. Any idea on how many calories I burn, perhaps a formula I could work out, or something?

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Wow thanks, I'll def do some shopping. Any idea on how many calories I burn, perhaps a formula I could work out, or something?
There's that Basal Metabolic Index thing, but it's probably bullcrap. You would be better off writing down your calories over the course of a week and if you gained weight it's lower if you lost it's higher.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Well you wanna figure out your Basal Metabolic Rate, which is pretty much how many calories you would need to intake just on a day when you're at rest...

Then you need to figure about how many calories you're burning doing all the working out and walking around...

Then add those calories up and thats your maintenance levels.. You wanna go above this by at least 300. Too high of a number and you will also gain fat, but that is why I say you can adjust as you start to see what works for you. Since I'm assuming you're pretty lean, I would start with a ratio of 40/40/20 for protein/carbs/fats... So if you take in 300 grams of protein, you're gonna need 300 grams of carbs and 150 grams of healthy fats in your diet. That is just an example.

When I first started getting my diet in check, I used fitday.com to help figure out how many calories I needed and how much I was burning, etc. I was bulking like an idiot up to a year ago, and since then the majority of my gains have been lean muscle. I'm still a big guy so I will be going on a cut soon.. But there are many nutrient/diet trackers out there that you can use.

Also, invest in a food scale. They're cheap and they allow you to weigh out what you're eating, so you can be very specific with your portions. Keep your body anabolic by never letting yourself go hungry and consuming protein RIGHT after your workouts, and something like casein protein or eggs right before bed. Slower digesting protein prolongs protein synthesis and therefore there is a longer trail of amino acids.

jestes0046

Awards
Okay, I'll start off with the intake next sunday.