Best supplement for hard gainers-anything work?

pittguy578

Awards
I am trying to put on a tiny bit of muscle and become more defined. I am a 32 year old male-I have no desire to get big-or should I say I have come to the realization I will never have large muscles. I just do not have the genes. I tried to do it when I was younger-ate 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight...I gained strength but never size or that much size. I am 5'9, 161. I am a little soft in the middle. I may not appear to be "large" but I am not weak. I can bench press 225 x7 times for three sets..military press 170..can leg press 325 *40 times. I have now added AB ripper x to my routine..and am stacking on ALCAR Glutamine, and VPX to get rid of the flab...also using Eviscerate.

If I DO try to make a run at gaining muscle again, are there any supplements that would help a hard gainer like myself?

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Weed. I used to believe the term hard gainer. You just need more food. There is more to diet than protein

If that is not an option I strongly recommend 5000 cals a day and heavy squats. In fact try this first It wiill build muscle. Then cut later. If it's hard to gain muscle you should be able to lean out fairly easy.

pittguy578

Awards
I just can't eat that much anymore. That is the main problem. I am not sure what I can do to increase my appetite. I am not trying to add a "ton" of muscle-just trying to make sure I look "decent"

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
Try calorie dense foods like nuts I will eat peanut butter if I cant eat enough. I also love edamame it is a great way to increase healthy food intake

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
5000 cals is quite a bit, but he is right.

If you really want to bulk and cut at the same time, do some reaserch on "clean bulking"

Try to cut the stims out, unless you wanna cut or unless you wanna just have to even eat more

Make sure you eat alot, and if that doesnt work go get bloodwork done and check ur test levels.

sub001

Awards
Hardgainers typically means "hard eaters". Your appetite doesn't have too much to do with the gym. You aren't eating because you're hungry. 3 squares a day could take care of that. You eat like a champ because it does wonders for metabolism and muscle growth. Just shovel it in brotha, it's never too late in life to make changes. You won't "blow up" without the use of steroids. Just eat like a tank and keep working out and you will see the gains you want. They come slow for people with less than perfect genetics so you can gauge where you want to be with progress. Don't make me post pictures of Ageless and embarrass us all.

Mongo97

Awards
  • Established
Hardgainers typically means "hard eaters". Your appetite doesn't have too much to do with the gym. You aren't eating because you're hungry. 3 squares a day could take care of that. You eat like a champ because it does wonders for metabolism and muscle growth. Just shovel it in brotha, it's never too late in life to make changes. You won't "blow up" without the use of steroids. Just eat like a tank and keep working out and you will see the gains you want. They come slow for people with less than perfect genetics so you can gauge where you want to be with progress. Don't make me post pictures of Ageless and embarrass us all.
agree. got to eat thats how you grow. no matter what you will grow. If your not growing your not eating enough. if you can not eat enough use weight gainers. made your self or a pre-made one. adds cals quick.

maddogmike333

Awards
if you are willing to work you have to eat 3800 to 4500 cals of low fat a day and the secret to you're spit is do legs 2 times a week. trust me do that and you will gain.

Mongo97

Awards
  • Established
if you are willing to work you have to eat 3800 to 4500 cals of low fat a day and the secret to you're spit is do legs 2 times a week. trust me do that and you will gain.
I feel it doesn't need to be low fat but moderate fats. But the fats should come from quality sources. i.e. olive oil

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
supps will help you push harder once you hit the wall. till then, not needed, pretty much pointless also

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards
agreed. even arnold said he use to smoke to bulk. also you can find supplements to increase hunger.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
sex= increases hunger.
weight training= increases hunger.
eating a little more every time =increases hunger.
eating right before bed=increases hunger.
getting high=increases hunger

no such thing as a hard gainer. add lots of fats to your diet. nuts, avacados, cook with oil (your eggs, your chicken, fish, etc). It's easy to go up in calories.

lyfespan

lyfespan

Awards
  • Established
sex= increases hunger.
weight training= increases hunger.
eating a little more every time =increases hunger.
eating right before bed=increases hunger.
getting high=increases hunger

no such thing as a hard gainer. add lots of fats to your diet. nuts, avacados, cook with oil (your eggs, your chicken, fish, etc). It's easy to go up in calories.
you also forgot to add that if you wanna grow you gotta be doing compound lifts and your appetite will increase as you place more of a demand on your body. So start werking thoses legs and back, do sum clean&jerks with presses, deadlifts, pull ups. Also if you think that you were gonna get bigger on 1gram: pound ratio, you are highly misteaken(yeah i said steak,now go eat) it takes 1.5-2 grams: pound and your macros should look like 40/40/20

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
yeah on leg and back day I eat steak like its my job. Like i have a vendetta against the local angus cow ;)