How does a skinny guy gain weight safely (and on lo-carb diet?)

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User

How does a skinny guy gain weight safely (and on lo-carb diet?)

Hi guys.. im kinda new here..

Anyway, I dont do much training in the gym, but I do a lot of martial arts and occasionally kettlebells..

Long story short, i went through a ton of stress this past year and have been having what i believe are symptoms of messed up hormones and adrenals.. and just the past couple weeks some new symptoms (not sweating as much as normal, dry mouth, muscle twitching, muscle weakness).. went to the doc and my labs didnt show anything drastically wrong.

Anyway, I have been swtiching to a low carb diet (which i could cause me yo lose some weight).. and ive lost some weight, which is not good for me, I was around 127 before, now im down to 120. Ideally I would weigh 135 of pure muscle.. I was getting close to it before, but then something changed in my body and ive got all this dryness/weight loss which isnt good. And ive been drinking plenty of water.. Not sure if its stress or what.. my electrolytes came back within normal ranges aswell..

Anyway. Is it possible for my to pack on bulk without eating lots of carbs? Ive stopped eating white flour/wheat/dairy.. but am eating a fair amount of meat/veggies/greens/brown rice.

I need to pack on some weight though.. how can I do it!! help out a skinny guy!

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Why are you low carbing? All forms of the low carb diet are designed to drop fat (lose weight), including keto.
  3. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

135? Are you 4'9"? Or maybe female?

If you wanna gain weight, eat more. Simple as that. Low carb can actually help in some respect - leaves more room in your gut for calorie dense fat.

Load up on coconut oil, EVOO, avocadoes, bacon, good imported cheeses, nuts, greek yogurt, fatty fish.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

Also, try some weight gainer products and begin to eat fattier foods.
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

EAT! o yea and then eat
  6. Registered User

Lol.. no im not a female..

and right now im more like 120 pounds LOL! and im 5 8" or 5 9".. 23 years old..

Ive just always been skinny naturally and had a really fast metabolism. I can eat loads of food and its still hard to gain weight.. its much easier for me to lose weight then to gain weight.. I have to work really hard to pack on pounds.

Why am I on a low carb diet? .. well.. I had a few symptoms that suggested diabetes.. so i tested my blood sugar, and it seemed to go abnormally high AFTER meals, but my fasting glucose always was normal.. and I tested my Ha1c or whatever and it was 5.3 which is "normal" .. none the less this scared me and i decided to stop eating white flour.. also trying to stop eating sugar and wheat.. oh and dairy.. i think ive been having some food allergies and im trying to find the right diet for me..

Ofcourse carbs like pasta and dairy are great for gaining weight.. so without those my job will be even more difficult.

However I believe a low carb diet is generally more healthy anyway.. White flour isnt good for anyone. My diet right now consists of meat (beef, turkey, chicken) some fish (mostly salmon, occasionally halibut,etc.) some eggs.. avocadoes.. lots of veggies and salad.

Then i work out a few times a week, and not at the gym.. doing martial arts which is more anaerobic / cardio type training which makes it more difficult to gain pure muscle/weight.

I guess another part of the problem is ive also been eating less (duhh!).. BECAUSE I believe its not healthy to eat more food before your previous meal has digested properly. When you do that, your body never has a chance to digest everything thats coming in and it pushes the undigested food down your digestive system to make room for the new food coming in.

So I guess im trying to eat 3-4 meals a day, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late night snack.. and get enough food to gain weight/muscle.

Not really into the "weight gainer" shakes and stuff.. seems like its mostly chemicals and crap anyway.

I like the idea of coconut oil though.. is that a good way to gain? I know its really good for you anyway.. and I should eat more avocados.. I love them and they are a great source of healthy fats.

I do still eat some bad carbs every now and then.. as a treat.. but I try to stay away from them in general.. ive been eating a lot of brown rice lately.. its almost become my staple food.

What makes my metabolism so fast and someone elses so slow? How come my body burns through everything I put into it.. and then there are fat people who seem to gain weight so easily.. How can I slow my metabolism down a bit and make my body more anabolic.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

ur righ white flours and enriched grains are bad so stay away from them, but your levels are normal and u dont have diabetes so there is no reason to be afraid of the carbs.... eat lots of oats, brown rice, etc. very minimally pocsessed whole foods. Also you may think you are eating alot but usually that is not the case, sometimes u gotta eat when your not hungry and your body will eventually adapt. Also...... if u want to gain muscle weight ur gonna have to lift, u aren't gonna gain much muscle mass from doing mostly cardio type activities.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  172 lbs.

Sounds to me like u needa give up hope on bulking up with all ur thoughts and theories. White flour???????? lol.....were talkin good carbs bud. Most good carbs have a low glycemic index which wont cause spikes in blood sugar (Legumes, veggies, nuts, whole wheat breads, brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats etc)

And btw, if ur metabolism is as fast as you think it is, then thats all the more reason to get in at least 6 meals a day. But u seem to be hung up on ur beliefs on the whole process sooooo i dunno wat to tell ya lol.
  9. The BPS Rep
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    6'4"  280 lbs.

Nate makes a great point IMO - you don't have to cut out all carbs; continuing to eat those that are healthy can really help.

I favor a low-ish carb diet, but I still have beans, oat bran, berries, grapefruit and similar foods - I'll even have brown rice or quinoa post-workout sometimes.

You don't need to eat 6 times a day to gain weight. I've actually had more success with both gaining and losing weight with only 3-4 meals. I've also had a lot of success with intermittent fasting, which would help with your blood sugar, but is by no means mandatory.

As for the coconut oil - absolutely it will help you gain weight. On my last bulk I was packing in 60-70g of healthy fats every meal (~250g total every day) and made steady, mostly lean progress.
    Bulk Performance Solutions
    --No Proprietary Blends, All Performance--

***NOW @ NP***
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  217.0 lbs.

Wouldn't most people in the world love to have your "problem" . . .

Most people have to lose lard by the tub before they can start eating again, carefully, to pack on muscle.

All you have to do is lift heavy and eat whatever you want man, get out of here with that weak problem . . .
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  207 lbs.

Man the way you explained your lifestyle, exercise, and diet is a recipe to be skinny lol.

If you're gonna lo carb it, you're gonna have to compensate with lots of fats and proteins. Lay off chicken and fish and jump on the beef bandwagon. Eat fatty meats, fatty foods, and get carbs LOW ON THE GLYCEMIC INDEX there is no point to cut them out!! You are making you're job a million times tougher on your body, and your mental well being by dropping carbs. You're not gonna feel to energetic to kick some a$$ in karate. Unless you're strictly keto.

Your diet looks great for staying healthy, not so great for packing on mass. Beef, low glycemic carbs, and lots of protein. If you don't mind putting on fat get a weight gainer instead of protein. I used a weight gainer instead of protein along with creatine and blew up a while ago when I was a "hardgainer" at 150 pounds.

You know why I was a hard gainer?? I was eating fruits, veggies, chicken, and tuna thinking eating healthy is how you put on weight and muscle. WRONG. Eat beef, lots and lots of fatty meats. WORKOUT. You have to work out for your muscles to grow.

Don't worry about eating healthy right now dude. You're 23 years old. You can afford to go on a 6 month splurge of fatness and it won't hurt you at all lol.

So, get on creatine, start working out, eat lots of beef anytime you can over other meats, eat meat with every meal at least 4-6, and have a weight gainer or protein shake in between meals. You're eating way too healthy right now bro. I told myself I'd be eating the way you are permanently when I'm 35-40 lol.
  12. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by moxsum View Post
    Ive just always been skinny naturally and had a really fast metabolism. I can eat loads of food and its still hard to gain weight.. its much easier for me to lose weight then to gain weight.. I have to work really hard to pack on pounds..
    Unless you have health issues like diabetes you WILL gain weight if you take in more calories than you burn in a day. The body does not throw calories away.

Yes unprocessed/whole foods are the 'healthier' choice however they are also lower calorie. Go to a low carb diet and getting enough calories gets even harder.

So just like others have said you have to eat more but you have to make sure that you are getting the calories - you can't just fill up on salad and lean cuts of meat. IMO a lot of hardgainers are that way because of a healthier/active lifestyle and a smaller appetite.

I would recommend doing some basic calorie counting; you don't have to follow it strictly but you will get a much better idea of what your needs are and what you need to be eating.
  13. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

everybody says "dude im eating all i can". man when i was 16 i thought i was too. but one will only know what its like to eat good is when your day revolves around your next meal and training time. track ur diet and see if ur getting over 4k cals. if u eat over 3500 cals then u may truly have a problem. but i doubt u cant gain wait while eating 4k cals and 250g of protein a day. also, if u wanna gain weight, drink as much whole milk in a day as u can, but dont go over a gallon. i even think a gal is too high but thats just me.
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.

I can tell you off the bat you're not eating enough. Eating enough produces gains. period
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

All posts are for entertainment purposes only.

Need2slin... NOM NOM NOM :yup:
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  0 lbs.

The reason you cant gain weight is....YOU. You don't lift weights, you dont eat often enough, you dont eat carbs, and you dont take in calories. Nothing we can tell you will help you, other than to say the diet and workout program you are will PROHIBIT growth. Simple as that.

Now leave me alone while I feast on a loaf of white bread...and about 8 chicken breasts.
  16. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy007 View Post
    The reason you cant gain weight is....YOU. You don't lift weights, you dont eat often enough, you dont eat carbs, and you dont take in calories. Nothing we can tell you will help you, other than to say the diet and workout program you are will PROHIBIT growth. Simple as that.

Now leave me alone while I feast on a loaf of white bread...and about 8 chicken breasts.
    WHITE wheat bread right? LMAO
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  220 lbs.

You need to stop thinking so much and just man up and eat. You're too small to have theories
    Bench - 355
    Squat - 405
    Deadlift - 600
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'6"  245 lbs.

Protein Protein Protein! In your case i would try and consume 1gram or protein per body wight, so make your daily diet no less than 120 grams or protein this can easy be done by protein shakes and foods...chicken, steak..etc..
  19. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

how bout before bashing he posts his diet, then let the games begin.

bro, if i were you,

force feed yourself, your going to absorb the nutrients. your going to gain weight if you lift and eat right,

huge HOMEMADE gainer shake in the morning, banana strawberry whole milk (i use lactaid whole milk or almond milk), 1/5 scoops protein powder, ice, 1 cup oats, 2 tablespoon PB. not only amazing, but good calories.

if you must get low fat icecream, and put it in your shakes post workout with your protein.
  20. Registered User

You guys are funny.

My diets been changing a lot the past few months.. I went vegan for a month, then switched back to full on meat lol.

Right now, I eat a lot of;

Brown Rice
    Chicken, Turkey
    Some Beef
    Some Fish (salmon mostly)
    Some eggs
    Some Quinoa
    Avocadoes
    Vegetables
    Salad
    Beans
    Some nuts
    Occasionally some potatoes

Then a few health supplements and lots of water. Thats it. I just bought some coconut oil.. and ive been eating a bit more carbs.. some potatoes.. For a long time I was eating tons of fruit, but lately i barely eat any as its so high in sugar.

Guess I need to eat some more meat, complex carbs.. maybe some almond butter.. hmm .. its hard when I dont wanna eat wheat/flour.. means its hard to find good bread to spread things like almost butter on. I feel like I need more fiber.. I feel like too much meat makes me constipated sometimes! lol

I know I need to eat more.. But you have to understand, im just naturally a skinny ass mofo.. Seems like some guys just naturally are stronger then me lol
  21. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.

You guys are funny.

My diets been changing a lot the past few months.. I went vegan for a month, then switched back to full on meat lol.

Right now, I eat a lot of;

Brown Rice
    Chicken, Turkey
    Some Beef
    Some Fish (salmon mostly)
    Some eggs
    Some Quinoa
    Avocadoes
    Vegetables
    Salad
    Beans
    Some nuts
    Occasionally some potatoes

Then a few health supplements and lots of water. Thats it. I just bought some coconut oil.. and ive been eating a bit more carbs.. some potatoes.. For a long time I was eating tons of fruit, but lately i barely eat any as its so high in sugar.

Guess I need to eat some more meat, complex carbs.. maybe some almond butter.. hmm .. its hard when I dont wanna eat wheat/flour.. means its hard to find good bread to spread things like almost butter on. I feel like I need more fiber.. I feel like too much meat makes me constipated sometimes! lol

I know I need to eat more.. But you have to understand, im just naturally a skinny ass mofo.. Seems like some guys just naturally are stronger then me lol
    what your eating looks good but we dont have any quantities listed. do you weight your food?

bro ive worked with kids your size and helped them attain a good healthy weight naturally. with little to no fat gain. youll be able to do it.
  22. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  172 lbs.

OP: Your efforts & beliefs are paradoxical to your objective.
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  160 lbs.

"seems like some guys are naturally stronger than me"

DUDE - Grow some BALLS!

There will always be guys stronger than you. But its a personal battle. And you can't be afraid to gain a little fat around the edges.

18 months ago I could barely bench 60Kg. Now I can do 10 reps of 60Kg, and I can do a single rep of 85Kg.

Now there are a lot of guys who warm up with my max lift! But I don't care because I have improved.

These guys all got good advice, eat BIG, lift BIG, sleep lots, and you will grow.

You gotta get out there and do it. It will work - just have faith in yourself and the good advice you got.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  261 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBassGuy View Post
    "seems like some guys are naturally stronger than me"

DUDE - Grow some BALLS!

There will always be guys stronger than you. But its a personal battle. And you can't be afraid to gain a little fat around the edges.

18 months ago I could barely bench 60Kg. Now I can do 10 reps of 60Kg, and I can do a single rep of 85Kg.

Now there are a lot of guys who warm up with my max lift! But I don't care because I have improved.

These guys all got good advice, eat BIG, lift BIG, sleep lots, and you will grow.

You gotta get out there and do it. It will work - just have faith in yourself and the good advice you got.

Amen

There will always be someone faster and stronger. Always someone bigger. You shouldn't compare yourself to what you wanna be like, you should set realistic goals and bust ass in the gym to get there, and do everything that goes with it as far as diet and rest.

If you have expectations, you will set yourself up for failure. Instead, look at the road ahead as a means of progress. Eat, eat, and eat. Gain that weight, put that iron up and don't worry about the rest... After all that;s why there's bulking and cutting
    **** Line @ NUTRAPLANET

25. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Have you seen someone to get to the bottom of your anorexia? No kidding. You seem to have some major issues that need some professional help.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  180 lbs.

Amen--
    Unrealistic goals, avoidance of 'bad foods', inconsistent beliefs concerning food, etc.
    I hate to play dime store psychologist--but the OP may want to take a look 'inside' as to what is really going on concerning their relationship with their body and with food.
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy007 View Post
    Why are you low carbing? All forms of the low carb diet are designed to drop fat (lose weight), including keto.

That's a pretty false statement.

You will gain mass if your total calories are over your daily needs. Surplus calories = net gain.

A CKD can be used for weight loss or gain, cutting, recomping or bulking. Also look into the anabolic diet.

Manipulating insulin sensitivity is a great tool when bulking or cutting.
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

OP - your food choices look great, really healthy, you just need to track your calorie intake and make sure you are eating enough for the weight you are going for.. IE: A lot more than you are eating now. Be diligent about tracking your calories and macros and be consistent.
  29. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  155 lbs.

I know you cant hear me but Im playing a violin for you right now. I used to be really skinny too. So what you need to do is start drinking weight gain shakes. I used to drink one called muscle juice you can probably find it at GNC it tastes great and its about 800 calories for one 16oz shake. Drink those 3 times a day and lift. Dont forget to eat your other meals too.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.

You should probably just quit.
  31. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  155 lbs.

Dude I weighed 125 on a good day when I started, now I'm at 155-160. I'm not huge by any means or anywhere close to where I wanna be, but it's a big difference from where I
    was. If u really wanna get bigger, you will make it happen no matter what. Don't let yourself make excuses. Lift heavy, eat everything you see (you won't put on much fat with our body type) and listen to these guys that have already done it and are willing to pass on their wisdom. It won't come overnight, it's all about determination and dedication!
  32. Registered User

"orthorexia nervosa" look it up

OP you need to stop making excuses and do work. Why ask peeps for advice if you do not plan on using it?

Secret Recipe For Muscle Gain
    1. Lift heavy stuff
    2. Eat a ton
    3. Rest
    4. Repeat steps 1-3, until desired musculature is achieved.

P.S- don't share this SECRET recipe with anyone
  33. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  225 lbs.

Man this is a scary thread. I hate to be the ahole here, but it sounds to mr like a serious eating disorder rather than someone nutritionally ignorant.

At 5''8-9 and 120, it's virtually impossible for you to be anything other than frail. Your bones and organs weigh about 100lbs. Seriously.

So I'll tell you something everyone else should have....seek professional help before you kill yourself. No flame. Dead serious. Very scary.
  34. Registered User
    Board Sponsor

Hi guys.. im kinda new here..

Anyway, I dont do much training in the gym, but I do a lot of martial arts and occasionally kettlebells..

Long story short, i went through a ton of stress this past year and have been having what i believe are symptoms of messed up hormones and adrenals.. and just the past couple weeks some new symptoms (not sweating as much as normal, dry mouth, muscle twitching, muscle weakness).. went to the doc and my labs didnt show anything drastically wrong.

Anyway, I have been swtiching to a low carb diet (which i could cause me yo lose some weight).. and ive lost some weight, which is not good for me, I was around 127 before, now im down to 120. Ideally I would weigh 135 of pure muscle.. I was getting close to it before, but then something changed in my body and ive got all this dryness/weight loss which isnt good. And ive been drinking plenty of water.. Not sure if its stress or what.. my electrolytes came back within normal ranges aswell..

Anyway. Is it possible for my to pack on bulk without eating lots of carbs? Ive stopped eating white flour/wheat/dairy.. but am eating a fair amount of meat/veggies/greens/brown rice.

I need to pack on some weight though.. how can I do it!! help out a skinny guy!
    drop the low carb diet and get on a bulking diet at your weight theres no reason to do a low carb diet its only going to hurt you and make gaining weight harder.milk,weight gainer,creatine,hamburger,stea k,cheese,the list could go on.also adapt a bulking workout routine heavy weight low reps.

ps.some of you guys should be ashamed with some of the comments you've made completely uncalled for and unnecessary.
  35. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  168 lbs.

dude i hate to say it but i htink these guys are right........ i had about the same problem and i was put in the hospital and foudn out my kidneys were failing and a numer of other issues.... i was in teh hospital for 2 weeks and have permanent damage from it. MY testosterone levels are now extremely low and i may have to go on TRT soon at the age of 20. Start eating, if ur afraid of fat gain its winter, worry about it in the summer. Trust me youll be alot healtheir. I am now 150 and feel alot beter, and can't wait to put on more weight..... if you wanna get big yo know how to do it, so do it.
  36. Registered User

haha...ignorance! research is your best bet if you dont listen to anyones advice then id recommend you see a registered dietican bro and if thats not workin for ya then look at your training you might need to switch it up...
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

Hey brother, I wrestled varsity at 119lbs in high school. I ran cross country and track as well. I was healthy as a horse, could run 12 miles without breaking a sweat. I ran about 50 miles per week on average. I'm 5'9" or 10 as well. Let me tell you right now, that is not healthy. You want to be more like 150 for the "perfect" healthy body at that height.

What you need to do is just eat. Stop eating lean meat, go get yourself some 70/30 ground beef and eat a pound a day. I love me some whole wheat hamburger helper.

Bulking shakes containing chemicals? Make your own!

Here is mine:
    3 eggs
    2 cups whole milk
    2 cups oats
    1 tbsp PB
    1 banana
    1 scoop protein

That is about 1200 calories with a damn good macro, lots of protein and healthy carbs, lots of healthy fat. I make another before I go to bed that is 2 cups cottage cheese, 2 cups milk, 2 cups greek yogurt with about the same macros. I am getting in about 4-4500 cals per day, and have went from 150 lbs last year to 190 right this second. The hitch is I have only been on a solid diet for 2 months now. I eat those two shakes every day, and then I eat whatever I want throughout the day, chili, stew, sandwiches, ice cream, beef, cheese, etc.

You want to be big you need to eat everything, and lots of it. Our lifestyle does not even come close to what people traditionally think as "healthy" My best friend is a vegetarian, he calls me crazy for eating so much meat all the time. We wrestled on new years eve and he is still complaining about being sore. Hes skinny as heck and will probably have a lot of problems some day.

We work harder and way more than your average joe who needs a 2K cal diet every day, we are going to consume way more and way different things than Betty who wants to lose 20 lbs for new years or Jim who wants to get in shape.

My current goal is to reach 210lbs 10% BF. I am going to eat everything I can find until I hit 210, and then I am going to worry about the healthy aspect and fine tuning things, I have a six pack AND love handles, so what?
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

2 cups cottage cheese, 2 cups milk, 2 cups greek yogurt ..... blended as a shake? What do you add for flavor?

I couldn't imagine what the texture of this would feel like, or the taste. It would be like eating tasteless casein protein. But whatever it takes to grow.. that's the bottom line!!
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.

Drink olive oil. I promise this will make you gain weight. When I say drink I mean by the glass if you need to.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MM11 View Post
    Drink olive oil. I promise this will make you gain weight. When I say drink I mean by the glass if you need to.
    drinking shots of evoo is great... but don't make the mistake of using regular evoo, get the light stuff unless you want a nasty burning aftertaste
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 11:50 AM
  2. Need Help With My Weight-Gain Diet
    By TLayson23 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-18-2010, 12:42 AM
  3. help with diet..id like to gain some weight
    By spyder24 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 09:50 PM
  4. Diet to gain weight
    By yeabuddyy in forum Bulking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 07:02 PM
  5. What is the best Diet to gain the most weight!
    By StackemHard in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2006, 03:16 PM