how to make your abs bigger

clax

Banned
Awards
so lets say you already have low bf % but how or what exercises do you do to make them bigger?

Exposure

Exposure

Awards
so lets say you already have low bf % but how or what exercises do you do to make them bigger?
Seriously? The Abdominals are muscles. Just like any other muscle, you work them out, and maintain an adequate diet for growth.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
squats dl ohp hanging leg raises weighted crunches

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
pullups with your legs straight out. if you can do 3 sets of ten your core is in pretty good shape.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I'm kinda tore on this subject... I tend to believe its MOSTLY genetics... but I do believe you can slightly change the appearance and thickness of your abdominals... through heavy core training (DL, Squats, CAptains chair) or else body builders abs wouldnt look like solid pieces of steel...

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i have **** genetics, when i was 18 i was 117lbs at 5'10 then worked my way up to 175 at one point took about 3 yrs to get there.I broke my jaw recently so i'm at 155 lbs now. u can make your abs grow if you do what i said above and also do weighted cable crunches holding the rope. 5 sets of that your abs will start to pop. Mine show all the time now because i lost a **** load of body fat and i was never able to see them. squats didn't make them pop u need to hit them directly if power movements aren't doing the job.

manicstudio

Awards
Wat if u got a high BF % like I'm at 18% and see tha upper row and. 2nd row slightly...I'm still bulkin can I pop them thru my fat....I see reg. Athletic Fat guys wit guts n there abs were poppin out somewhat

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I doubt your at 18% your probably lower than that if you can even remotely see the 2nd row. When i talk about abs poppin i mean you can visibly see them all the time even when your sitting. you have to be very lean for that. I don't think doing any ab work will help them show more you will just build more muscle underneath the fat. Once you lean out though your abs will show very nicely if you hit them with that high of a bf% once you get down to 8% they will show all the time.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, pretty much the bodyfat will make 20x the difference any amount of exercise can do.

xxjoker122

Awards
A good exercise that i use to do in football which i cant remember the name of it but you lay on ur backand simply raise your legs up and down...this builds amazing core strength and you will really feel the burn also you can add an extra kick if u seperate your legs in the air...just dont put ur hand under your ass and dont let your legs touch the ground..hope this helps (= enjoy

permanabol

Awards
Getting my belly full of air while doing squats and dl's really made my core thicker.

smoothballer

Awards
DIET DIET DIET!
And the abs are like any muscle, they respond to heavy weight training so add some weighted crunches, cable crunches, weighted knee raises...stuff like that.

manicstudio

Awards
Yea honestly I don't know wats my bf%...my stupid scale says 18 one day n 24 percent another...p*sses me off...ofcourse on workout days it say somethin lower...I just don't want to get small just 2 cut up for sum abs...and my 1st 2 rows show when I suck n my stomach...but they do split into columns...and I got deep indentions on tha side of them regardless...guess frm all tha twisting n side throwing of boxes I do at work. I'm @262lbs 6'5

manicstudio

Awards
Yea honestly I don't know wats my bf%...my stupid scale says 18 one day n 24 percent another...p*sses me off...ofcourse on workout days it say somethin lower...I just don't want to get small just 2 cut up for sum abs...and my 1st 2 rows show when I suck n my stomach...but they do split into columns...and I got deep indentions on tha side of them regardless...guess frm all tha twisting n side throwing of boxes I do at work. I'm @262lbs 6'5
I mean they don't split into columns just 2 solid rows bulging out trying to look define

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Those scales are bull**** have your gym test you with calipers.

Chico222

Awards
What works for me is weighted exercises. Especially hanging knee raise with a dumbbell on my feet.

HumpTheCook

HumpTheCook

Banned
Awards
  • Established
like other muscles... repetition for tone, weighted for size.

but body fat will make the biggest difference

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i do weighted crunches and jump roping while i do a clean bulk most of the year and it keeps my BF low, and my muscle amount high. im 5ft 9 180 pounds 7% BF done by a 6 point skin fold test 2 weeks ago. jump roping really keeps the BF low if ur diet is in check. it doesnt make u lose any muscle like cutting does, but it keeps enough fat off that u still feel think and not a scrawny ho like i do when i cut.

johnnyblues

Awards
This will sound crazy to most of you but here it goes.
Intense weighted ab workouts 4 work sets twice per week( 8 days in my case). and eating 5-6 x 1000-1200 calorie meals daily. Proper, intense training, in which you are making consistent gains most of the year, is a must.
Anyway, At one point when I was a teen bodybuilding competitor, I had thin small ab's (and a 29 inch waist) at 174.
I found that the extreme food intake that I required to really pack on the pounds caused a prolapse effect in my ab region (pot belly). I theorize that this caused an extreme stretching of the abdominal fascia. When combined with proper strength training and an emphasis on ab training. My ab's became large like big ravioli's, and stayed that way.
At the moment I train for agility, and just to stay healthy. My arm have been 3 inches larger. My chest has measured 5 inches larger ( when 40 lbs heavier), but my ab's appear to be permanently longer, wider, and thicker. Just an observation.
I'm not recommending that anyone force feed themselves into a state of pot bellied abdominal prolapsis, and possible umbilical herniation ( yep, don't ask) Just to get thicker ab's. Just stating my personal experience.
Good luck with everything!
Mr.Blues

manicstudio

Awards
This will sound crazy to most of you but here it goes.
Intense weighted ab workouts 4 work sets twice per week( 8 days in my case). and eating 5-6 x 1000-1200 calorie meals daily. Proper, intense training, in which you are making consistent gains most of the year, is a must.
Anyway, At one point when I was a teen bodybuilding competitor, I had thin small ab's (and a 29 inch waist) at 174.
I found that the extreme food intake that I required to really pack on the pounds caused a prolapse effect in my ab region (pot belly). I theorize that this caused an extreme stretching of the abdominal fascia. When combined with proper strength training and an emphasis on ab training. My ab's became large like big ravioli's, and stayed that way.
At the moment I train for agility, and just to stay healthy. My arm have been 3 inches larger. My chest has measured 5 inches larger ( when 40 lbs heavier), but my ab's appear to be permanently longer, wider, and thicker. Just an observation.
I'm not recommending that anyone force feed themselves into a state of pot bellied abdominal prolapsis, and possible umbilical herniation ( yep, don't ask) Just to get thicker ab's. Just stating my personal experience.
Good luck with everything!
Mr.Blues
EXACTLY!...that's what I'm talkin about....I see ppl wit thicker abs and it shows thru high BF...mainly football players types that done a lot forcefeeding plus core work....like my core work is lacking but I still see trace amounts of abs at times and I think I'm at 18-19 % BF so if I actually do heavy ab work I think they would bubble out more without a lower BF...obvious lower bodyfat helps but nobody wanna be puny just for sume abs

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
obvious lower bodyfat helps but nobody wanna be puny just for sume abs
jay cutler gets on stage at under 5% bf, and probably most of off season isn't above 10-12, so you don't have to be puny to have low bodyfat ;)

manicstudio

Awards
Yea well I'm not on any prohormones or test...so I have to bulk and cut the old fashion way...but fight tooth n nail for every pound and eat like crazy...I probably would have to drop to atleast 245 from 265 slowly to even get that low of a BF....is HIIT good for burning fat during a semi clean bulk and still gain weight?

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yea well I'm not on any prohormones or test...so I have to bulk and cut the old fashion way...but fight tooth n nail for every pound and eat like crazy...I probably would have to drop to atleast 245 from 265 slowly to even get that low of a BF....is HIIT good for burning fat during a semi clean bulk and still gain weight?
yeah i would jump rope for 20 min a day 3 times a week if possible though will burn calories and help build calves, shoulders, and core muscles.

clax

Banned
Awards
some talk about a diet would that be a 20/40/40? or even lower of the fats?

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
that's sounds fine to me. if anything cut the carbs if you want to get leaner and up the fats, using fish oil, any type of organic nut butter, olive oil, coconut oil all the good fats.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
Squat and dead twice a week with a belt. The belt increases the abs work a ton. Heavy weighted crunch style exercises work too.

clax

Banned
Awards
well im already at 7%bf so i dont think i want to cut carbs im around 450+carbs a day and to get lean you would you up fats?

asala1337

Awards
A good exercise that i use to do in football which i cant remember the name of it but you lay on ur backand simply raise your legs up and down...this builds amazing core strength and you will really feel the burn also you can add an extra kick if u seperate your legs in the air...just dont put ur hand under your ass and dont let your legs touch the ground..hope this helps (= enjoy
Leg Lifts? :veryhappy:

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Some notes on abs:

Dont do abs every day, let them rest like all other muscles.

I find lower abs harder to build, so i like to do leg raises with a dumbell held by my feet. Try to fail around 4-6 reps imo

manicstudio

Awards
Leg Lifts? :veryhappy:
I thought they were called leg flutters...pain back n h.s...hated them, damn it hard to stay motivated wit core excercises that u don't see building surface muscles.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
well im already at 7%bf so i dont think i want to cut carbs im around 450+carbs a day and to get lean you would you up fats?
yes good fats will help you loose fat, with protein and complex carbs. you still need a little saturated fat in there. My protein shakes are 500 calories. I use 1 ensure plus a little milk and a scoop of protein, good fats, good carbs, over 30g protein works perfect. Don't take that after a workout though. I like berry blast protein from dymatize and organic blueberry pomegranate juice mixed together.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Idk if the name is right, but im talking about the kind where you hang from something.

I prefer the version on the thing you can also do dips on