muscle recovery advice...

viking805fan

Awards
so i need advice and a 2nd opinion on this topic. I was wondering how long it takes certain muscles to recover for ex. like biceps? i was told that i should do like in muscle group a week.

viking805fan

Awards
stats on the left...pretty much goal is to tone up in most areas of my body. im still a little soft since i had lost a good amount of weight a while back. as of right now ive been taking jack3d for two weeks and after each workout i take 52g of whey protein and i usually workout 6 days a week MOST of the time... just in case you guys need more info on my situation. thanks.

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
depends on the volume really. In dc training, everything is hit 2 times a week. In 5 day splits everything is hit 1 time. In HST a full body workout is done 3 times a week.

If you're hammering everything to death, then once a week is fine.

viking805fan

Awards
sorry but like for ex. what do u mean by dc training?

carpee

carpee

Awards
  • Established
sorry but like for ex. what do u mean by dc training?
It's just a style/program. You can look it up man, it would take way too long to explain it.

The point is that volume will determine how many times a week you hit a group.

viking805fan

Awards
oh ok. thanks anyways ill maybe look into it. but also how long do u think it takes for ex. for biceps 2 recover froma workout??

Bacya

Awards
It depends on the volume. Fullbody workouts for instance are relatively low volume but you hit each muscle group three times a week. IMO this is better for beginners, because it allows you to focus on heavier movements to build a good foundation. So each muscle group is expected to recover in two days in that example. But in a split routine the volume is higher for a muscle group in a particular day so the recovery time will increase. For me three to four days is about right. Longer if I havent done a particular movement or trained in a while.

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
another thing would be if your doing a pre contest split, bulking, bringing a lacking body part, etc. I would normally do 14-18 sets per week per muscle group.

Now you can do it one body part a day or split it up. But 18 sets is quite a bit.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
so i need advice and a 2nd opinion on this topic. I was wondering how long it takes certain muscles to recover for ex. like biceps? i was told that i should do like in muscle group a week.
Volume of training, as everyone mentioned, is part of the equation. The other part is training intensity. If you are training to failure and/or using techniques such as forced reps, negatives, dropsets, etc, then your recovery time will be longer.