Need help gaining weight.

stringbean567

Awards
Hey, ive just started working out about two weeks ago, but feel that i need to stick on some more weight while working out. I currently weigh 136ish, 5'10'' and just eat three meals a day and i am hoping to get up to 160 as fast as possible. My brother just keeps telling me to eat like a monster(mostly pasta, chicken, and oatmeal) b/c i have a fast metabolism and also work out about an hour a day. So i am just here for some more advice and if i could get an estimate on how long it could take to gain the 25lbs if i do everything right.THANKS!

risktaker

Awards
Hey, ive just started working out about two weeks ago, but feel that i need to stick on some more weight while working out. I currently weigh 136ish, 5'10'' and just eat three meals a day and i am hoping to get up to 160 as fast as possible. My brother just keeps telling me to eat like a monster(mostly pasta, chicken, and oatmeal) b/c i have a fast metabolism and also work out about an hour a day. So i am just here for some more advice and if i could get an estimate on how long it could take to gain the 25lbs if i do everything right.THANKS!
First off don't listen to your brother, he's just plain retarted. Second, three meals a day is not enough to put on muscle. you need to eat clean every two-three hours. Try to get 6-8 small meals a day of not 9-10 but watch your portion sizes. And include good fats like olive oil, natural penut butter, etc. Also don't be a pig and eat a lot of carbs, that will release a bunch of insulin which will make you fat. Try to go on a high fat , high protein, moderate carb diet because what it does is increase your natural test levels which equals more muscle growth. You can also go for a high protein, moderate fat, moderate carb aproach if you want to lose some fat but your choice is yours.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
doesn't sound like he needs to lose much fat... like risk said, try to do as many meal/snacks as possible, protein every meal, add some quality fats(also fish oil, avocado, nuts, cheese.) sounds like you can probably afford plenty of complex carbs for that matter.(stringbean!) pasta, taters, sweet taters, whole grain breads, oats are fine, brown rice, etc. if you tolerate milk, drink whole milk by the gallon. use compound exercises, (squats, deadlifts, presses)

risktaker

Awards
doesn't sound like he needs to lose much fat... like risk said, try to do as many meal/snacks as possible, protein every meal, add some quality fats(also fish oil, avocado, nuts, cheese.) sounds like you can probably afford plenty of complex carbs for that matter.(stringbean!) pasta, taters, sweet taters, whole grain breads, oats are fine, brown rice, etc. if you tolerate milk, drink whole milk by the gallon. use compound exercises, (squats, deadlifts, presses)
I agree with julius, stingbean, focus on free weights and your own bodyweight for pull-ups, dips, and pushups, that will produce the most results and please avoid machines at all cost they will not help you get bigger and stronger period.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The best advice that I can give is that you should start a meal plan/food log. To gain muscle you need to take in enough surplus calories. There are two ways to do this. The first is to overcompensate and eat everything in sight at the risk of getting fat. The other is to count your calories using a site like Fitday.com:

1) Google an online BMR/maintenance calorie calculator and use it to estimate your needs.
2) Make up a meal plan of 6-8 meals with surplus calories (an extra 500 per day will gain you about one lb/week; a 1000 will get you 2 lbs/week; more than this will probably see you gain more fat.
3) Remember these numbers are a calculated estimate, if after a couple weeks your weight has not gone up then you need to up the calories.
4) Keep your workouts short and sweet - the more you lift the more calories you burn and the more you will have to eat.

If you are new to training and you do everything right and want 25 lbs of mostly muscle you might be looking at 4+ months to accomplish it.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
at that weight bro, u dont need to be worrying about how much protein to take in, how many carbs blah blah blah....when im bulking i wanna go over the rec. amount so i BULK. at 136, u can afford fat so keep it high in protein and carbs and eat ur butt off man. u can also take creatine to help u bulk up., buy some whey and or casein protein. i use casein at night cause its absorption rate is slower

shizz702

shizz702

Awards
I'd recommend switching to 5-6 smaller meals a day rather than the traditional 3, but if you want to stick to 3, 2 protein shakes inbetween them should do the trick.
Also, consider adding whole milk in the mix, a half gallon a day will easily get you 1k+ cals in with little effort. Caloric density is the name of the game, whole milk, olive oil, nuts, natty pb, those are the kind of things you can add in for easy, extra cals.