Bulking vs. cutting

jmoney02

Awards
I've been working out for several years but it has always been for mass. I'm thinking it may be time for a change up. So, what are the differences between a cutting workout and a bulking workout?
I've just always gone heavy to failure or close to it.

lilnardey

lilnardey

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you don't change your routine much. Whether bulking or cutting its good to throw a little change in there to keep the body guessing. To bulk or cut though, comes mainly from dieting. Raising calorie intake, lowering calories, cardio... If you wouldn't mind posting what your current training and diet look like I'm sure plenty of people will be willing to help!

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
+1.

sub001

Awards
I usually start throwing in more isolation when cutting to harden up and define the muscles, but it's almost the same.

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I usually start throwing in more isolation when cutting to harden up and define the muscles, but it's almost the same.
This has never made sense to me. I usually keep some form of isolation movement for my bis, tris, and rear delts, but I've never understood the idea that these are specifically good for what you have proposed (harden up and define the muscles). Isolation movements to me are the things that I do to blast a specific muscle/muscle group that I know will recover quickly and that won't burn out my CNS.

It's hard to blast a muscle to pieces when cutting.

So I keep my reps within 3-6, on some smaller movements to 8. I do this anyway, but I put much more emphasis on 3-6 rep range when cutting. I follow the school of thought that your body doesn't need a lot of muscle to move a lighter weight for a ton of reps, but it does need a ton of muscle (also type 1 muscle fibers which are bigger and stronger/faster) to move a heavier weight for less reps.

Diet, though, is key. People are afraid of carbs, but they shouldn't be when dieting. Beans are an amazing source of carbohydrates when dieting. I also like to keep fats and carbs separate when I can.

sub001

Awards
I wasn't sure of any science behind it. While bulking I stick to big compound exercises and then as I go towards leaning out I start doing like curls and extensions in the 10-12 rep range. I was just saying that's what I change up for cutting, no merit behind it. For me it seems to get me more veiny and hard looking while cutting, along with the upped cardio.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
this is what i do when i wanna cut 10 pounds or so. if you are wanting 20+ pounds dont follow this:

I do a very clean bulk diet. as far as training, reps go from 6 to 15 depending on what movement im doing. i also do abs more along with cardio (swimming and jump roping and occasionally the bike). this has worked well for me.