I have a sodium problem

BlutUndKraft

Awards
Hello, I am 15 years old and I eat too much sodium. I have a healthy body fat percentage, normal stress levels, but terrible blood pressure. I finally came to the conclusion that I eat too much sodium, even not on a bulk, I would eat as much as 8000 mg of sodium, without even adding any salt to my food!
Most, if not all my high calorie foods have insane sodium levels. For example, every day after school, I would eat a box of rice that came with its own seasoning packet. That one box alone had over 1000 kcal, but over 3000mg of sodium also!
If you know any high calorie,low sodium foods, can you post them please?
any help/advise would be appreciated.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why not just make your own meals instead of buying prepackaged meals? Also, define "terrible" BP.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Why not just make your own meals instead of buying prepackaged meals? Also, define "terrible" BP.
Rodja is on the right path. You are really going to have to make your own meals.

When I started tracking sodium in addition to macros and calories I was floored by how much is in 'processed' foods.

BlutUndKraft

Awards
your right, i'll search for recipes later
p.s. 157/93

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
Yeah man.

Home made stuff from raw ingredients is great for controlling what goes into your body.

If you find stuff doesn't taste so good without all the salt:

1) give it time, you will get used to the un-salted flavour
2) add other stuff - chilli/garlic/tomato these are all good for you and strongly flavoured - good for making chicken&rice into an interesting meal

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
As rodja said, home cooking....

and let's not forget the most underrated substance in the bodybuilding arsenal.. water.

More water = lower concentration of sodium

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In addition to this, add in foods that have a high potassium content (e.g. potatoes, bananas, yogurt, etc.).