Bulking Up Diet Plan help

BMaddz

Awards
hey I'm new to this forum and the whole bulking up/working out thing..i'm 19 yrs old, 5'8" and weigh 120lbs..i was wonderin how many calories a day i should consume if im trying to put on muslce and can someone please give me a basic idea of a meal plan for the day..thanks in advance

sub001

Awards
hey I'm new to this forum and the whole bulking up/working out thing..i'm 19 yrs old, 5'8" and weigh 120lbs..i was wonderin how many calories a day i should consume if im trying to put on muslce and can someone please give me a basic idea of a meal plan for the day..thanks in advance

I'm not good at this stuff but IIRC a rule of thumb is like 1-1.5G of protein per pound of bodyweight (some say lean weight, some say full weight, lean makes sense but I always end up going over) and 1.5-2G of good carbs per lb of body weight (might wanna check on that).

Here's my bulking diet, which isn't all that great and I cheated a lot but:

Breakfast: Egg whites, maybe 2 whole eggs thrown in, oatmeal, and a whey shake if I needed it

Bridge: Half a weight gainer shake

Meal: 6-8oz chicken/turkey/lean beef/tuna and brown rice (or whole grain pasta if I was having beef)

Bridge

Meal

Bridge

Meal, etc, I ate a lot of the same stuff so I could cook in bulk and have all my meals from the day. Then at night I'd have weight gainer or casein protein...correction, I'd have weight gainer and a candy bar because along with good food I ate like crap haha, never again.

Use fit day to count calories and nutrients. I thought I was eating so much at first and it was like 2900 calories of crap.

Just try google or looking around here, there's so much information. Just get a lot of protein in and don't eat too many white carbs, always brown rice and whole grains. I cheated too much and gained a lot of fat and now I'm fighting to lose it and keep all my muscle too. If you're new to this you should gain like crazy your first couple months without too much of a struggle if you just change a few things. Again I'm new so just use this as reference and not as hard facts.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
since you're just beginning i would first join fitday.com and log your current intake. knowing that level of calories is your maintenance, you can proceed to increase calories 300-500/day for a week at a time, until you get consistent gains. At 120 (trust me, i've been there) you have a long way to go so get started and ask back here anytime for tips.

You can indeed do 1-1.5gm protein/lb BW, even up to 2. Make your own weight gainer shakes with olive oil/whey/carbs/milk, logging carefully. Personally, i throw in lots of burgers and pizza :)

sub001

Awards
thanks for the info much appreciated
Another thing to go in conjunction with your diet and workout is figure out YOUR body. So many people give me advice on what works for THEM and I know for a fact it won't work for me. The one guy eats wendy's chicken sandwhiches and baked potatoes a lot and he's lean as hell and huge. If I did that I'd be an oily fat mess. Some people get huge at 12 reps, some people lean out at that. Same thing with carb intake, and protein. A lot of people get too lethargic if they have over X amount of protein and it's worse than getting not enough. It's all in figuring out yourself. Fitday.com will be your friend!

JComp

Awards
With your size you probably dont have to worry about being as clean as a lot of people with your diet because you probably have a very high metabolsim. Im the same way and I dont have worry to much about fat gain because its hard for me to gain so i will cheat and not worry about it to much usually 2 days a week. I will eat a whole pizza to myself of go to a buffet and eat untill i cant move. I try to get about 4000 calories of food plus my weight gainer shake I make with ground outs, whey, olive oil, and some chocolate syrup to make it taste better, and it adds another 100 calories.

SamBoz19

SamBoz19

Awards
  • Established
A trick to save money in the long run and to help you put on solid mass...make your own weight gainer.

Ingredients needed:

Whole Milk or Chocolate Milk
Bulk Maltodextrin
Macadamia Nut Oil
Liquid Egg Whites
Whey Protein of your choice (stick with chocolate flavor obviously if using chocolate milk for extra carbs).

While at first it might seem like your spending a lot...your actually saving more in the long run. Your getting a good mix of simple and complex carbs, quality fats, and various sources of protein.

Your typical shake would contain around 650 cals or so at minimum for reference.

Cheers!:cheers: