heavy weight vs perfect form during bulk

1. heavy weight vs perfect form during bulk

is it better to lift as much as u can with OK form or do reps slow but explosive and do as much as u can with the "perfect" form?
    Iron Forged Nutrition Rep

use code "R1balla" to receive a discount

2. Honestly, a mix of both. To completely smash your nervous system and muscle fibers, you have to explosively lift as fast and as perfect as possbile. For instance, when I do squats, I come down normally, ass to the floor almost, and then I try to explode as fast as possible with as much weight as I can do for 6-8 reps. I first start with higher reps though and then pyrmamid down. Now, towards the end of an excercise I always incorporate a pump set, in which I do as many as possible and even get sloppy towards the end, pretty much until my body says "yeah, your f@#$ed up for doing this to me". Now, if your trying to bulk, the rep range is between 6-10 reps, if you are powerlifting, its more like 3-5 reps, after warming up with lots of rest in between. Its really what you are trying to accomplish, i mean, there is enough science behind whatever it is you want to do, just always put 110 percent, like its your last workout ever.

3. perfect is the enemy of good
    •   

4. form is important for bulking i think. If you don't have good form, you're either working the muscle wrong or even worse, u're working the Wrong muscle.

But to be fair, when you're lifting very heavy, sooner or later form does get sacrificed (especially on the last rep).

5. well what are you talking about? cheating from rep 1? or doing 6 or 7 reps on your last set and then cheating for a couple more reps?

6. no lol i mean, ok on squats. i can either go super heavy but only go parallel or i can go a bit lighter but go all the way down and touch the floor

7. Never sacrifice form for weight. There's a big difference when using a little assistance on the last few reps while going to failure than altering your overall form, but you should still have almost perfect form. I wouldn't alter my squat form just to add a few more lbs on the bar.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

8. what about for like bench and stuff. i know when i go heavy, towards my last few reps i tend to arch my back a bit ( as well as shoulder press). would it be better to drop 5 pounds and keep the back flat against the bench pad?

9. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    what about for like bench and stuff. i know when i go heavy, towards my last few reps i tend to arch my back a bit ( as well as shoulder press). would it be better to drop 5 pounds and keep the back flat against the bench pad?
    Your lower back should be arched to begin with, but your ass should never come off of the pad.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

10. well arched somewhat, sure. but like, a better explanation is this: when lifting heavy towards the last rep or two, ppl tend to use there legs a bit. would be putting your feet up on the end of the pad benefit one from not doing that and get a better chest workout?

11. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    well arched somewhat, sure. but like, a better explanation is this: when lifting heavy towards the last rep or two, ppl tend to use there legs a bit. would be putting your feet up on the end of the pad benefit one from not doing that and get a better chest workout?
    Moving around in the middle of a set is a good way to get hurt.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

12. no i mean start out that way

13. Quote Originally Posted by R1balla View Post
    no i mean start out that way
    That's incorrect form.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

14. technically, yes. but i know i feel more chest work when my legs are out of the equation. do others on AM do this as well?

15. I know I've seen a lot of posts where people call putting feet on the bench while benching "jackassery" and other such derogatory terms (especially in the "douchebags at the gym" thread over on the General Discussion board) as when you bench your feet are supposed to be on the floor.

Just reporting what I've seen other people say about it. Personally, I don't lift with my feet on the bench but I have seen people in the gym do it for whatever reason.

16. alot of people will be able to push alot more weight with crappy form, but when u show them the right way their usually like "WOW" and get better muscle tears than with heavier weights, FORM IS KEY!

you heard it before and now youll hear it again, NEVER SACRIFICE FORM FOR WEIGHT!

we all know everyone wants to look like the strong guy in the gym but hell you will def. get better results with practicing form.

17. Ive always lifted with the best form to my ability. I dont ever want to hurt myself just b/c i wanted to jerk around 10 more pounds....

18. Quote Originally Posted by lennoxchi View Post
    well what are you talking about? cheating from rep 1? or doing 6 or 7 reps on your last set and then cheating for a couple more reps?
    yea more so on 1RMs and when ppl go to failure (which is something I don't do).

19. I think it's a 50/50. Of course you want to keep your best form, but like most said, due to the heavy weight it's sometimes sacraficed.

20. ive found now to go as heavy as you can with the most perfect form you can do. ive been doing this the past few days and i am extremely sore.

21. I think perfect form with the heaviest weight possible is the best route to go

22. totally agree with R1balla.. If you lack on form there is a good chance your going to pull or tear something

23. I like to keep the cheating to a bare minimum. Most of the guys I see lifting too heavy with bad form are working out their egos, not their muscles.

24. what i do is keep my form in check until the last rep or two on the last set. I usually am lifting by myself.

25. No reason to sacrifice form except for maybe a forced rep. For example - say you're doing curls. It should work your biceps, not shoulders, legs, and back. Don't risk injury or adopting a poor habit, imo.

Similar Forum Threads

1. What to do for Knee Pain from Heavy Weight
    By schwellington in forum Old School Hormone Use
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 07:38 PM
  2. Anderson Silva to Heavy Weight?!?!
    By VolcomX311 in forum MMA
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 09-04-2009, 10:28 PM
  3. Good form, or heavy weight
    By someguy1984 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10