too poor to eat enough, any suggestions?

ecupirate

Awards
Im a broke college student and can't afford 5 eggs for breakfast with a bagel everyday, along with steaks and chicken every night... I do okay with getting as much as I can but I need more. Lets just say im getting a little tired of brown rice, pasta and protein shakes.

ecupirate

Awards
And when I make a large meal to last me longer than a day, I end up polishing it off in like 2 hours.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get a job?!

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
Get a job?!
x2 its possible bro, im sure we have different situations, but im a college student, and work 30 hrs a week.. get a second job during summer as well helps out a ton having the extra money.. although ruins your summer, wouldnt really recommend the second job thing unless your in dire need of dough.. only did it once and it sucked..

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
Get a job?!
sperm donations? do they still pay for man juice?

op, that's a tough one. i would suggest buying in bulk but you would have nowhere to store it. if it's a matter of calories that you need then buy generic everything, watch the sale papers (something people who are on a budget allways do), do not buy the best food or leanest meats. you are going to have to make less than perfect purchases till you get out of school and into a job.

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Im a broke college student and can't afford 5 eggs for breakfast with a bagel everyday, along with steaks and chicken every night... I do okay with getting as much as I can but I need more. Lets just say im getting a little tired of brown rice, pasta and protein shakes.
opt out of college -take a gap year -get a job in different places , earn money and see the world

as for training -youll find a gym somewhere,

justeat

justeat

Awards
  • Established
Im a junior in college and have 2 jobs and im somehow still broke as ****. If ur trying to bulk, and dont mind taking a little fat, which i dont these are some ideas:

Store brand mac and cheese
plain yogurt- big containers
peanut butter and fluff sandwiches- almost 500 cals a peice!
tuna
tuna pasta salad
steal steaks from stores
chocolate milk
anything dairy

these are just some suggestions... i like pasta things though bc they have protein in them and its easy to take in a lot at once

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
cheap ground beef, cheap steak cuts, cheap bulk chicken... Over the summer, I usually eat a whole rotissery chicken and a steak throughout the day, as well as my main meals...

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you're on a budget, here are some inexpensive food sources:

Proteins:
Eggs appx. 72g of quality protein per dozen @ less than $2
Tuna 1 can of tuna + 2 hard boiled eggs = about 34g protein + scoop of protein powder = close to 60g of protein in a meal.. yay
Chicken (a $6-7 bag could last you a week, just eat some once per day in a meal)

Carbs:
Oatmeal (you can grind this into a powder and drink it, very easy carbs)
Whole Wheat Pasta (at my Wal-Mart it's $1 per 7 servings @ 41g carbs per serving)
Whole Grain Brown Rice (a bag of rice will last you a little while)

Fats:
I don't think getting a sufficient amount of fats is a problem for most people. Something good to have on hand is extra virgin olive oil.

Generally, protein sources are the more expensive items you'll be shopping for. Just make up for it by buying cheap quality carb sources. Oatmeal and whole wheat pasta are quality carb sources and they're SUPER cheap.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im a junior in college and have 2 jobs and im somehow still broke as ****. If ur trying to bulk, and dont mind taking a little fat, which i dont these are some ideas:

Store brand mac and cheese
plain yogurt- big containers
peanut butter and fluff sandwiches- almost 500 cals a peice!
tuna
tuna pasta salad
steal steaks from stores
chocolate milk
anything dairy

these are just some suggestions... i like pasta things though bc they have protein in them and its easy to take in a lot at once
Ahahaha I like how you threw steal steaks in the middle lmao!!

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
honestly, join a bulk warehouse (sams, costco, bjs) and your set, get a job though :)

ecupirate

Awards
If you're on a budget, here are some inexpensive food sources:

Proteins:
Eggs appx. 72g of quality protein per dozen @ less than $2
Tuna 1 can of tuna + 2 hard boiled eggs = about 34g protein + scoop of protein powder = close to 60g of protein in a meal.. yay
Chicken (a $6-7 bag could last you a week, just eat some once per day in a meal)

Carbs:
Oatmeal (you can grind this into a powder and drink it, very easy carbs)
Whole Wheat Pasta (at my Wal-Mart it's $1 per 7 servings @ 41g carbs per serving)
Whole Grain Brown Rice (a bag of rice will last you a little while)

Fats:
I don't think getting a sufficient amount of fats is a problem for most people. Something good to have on hand is extra virgin olive oil.

Generally, protein sources are the more expensive items you'll be shopping for. Just make up for it by buying cheap quality carb sources. Oatmeal and whole wheat pasta are quality carb sources and they're SUPER cheap.
I guess this is pretty much where Im at. I was just seeing if anyone had any secrets I didnt know about. Thanks for the suggestions though, much appreciated! As for the job, IM LOOKING! times are tough out there. lol.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
I guess this is pretty much where Im at. I was just seeing if anyone had any secrets I didnt know about. Thanks for the suggestions though, much appreciated! As for the job, IM LOOKING! times are tough out there. lol.
UPS is almost allways hiring.....good part time job and you get paid to w/o

justeat

justeat

Awards
  • Established
hahahaha gotta do what you gotta do...

DrchocolateMi

Awards
i feel you im a sophmore in college and i have a job, but between supps, food, gas, fiance and gym memebership im always broke. i have to eat a lot of cheap frozen pizza and drink only chocolatemilk mainly.

SmallTownIron

SmallTownIron

Banned
Awards
Here is the way I look at:

I look at buying food as to not having a choice. I would much rather spend $200 on food than supplements/alcohol and etc.

reptone

Awards
  • Established
Work in a restaurant or deliver pizza. Usually eat for free. Wendy`s Stacker double cheeseburgers. $1.00. Chicken too. All you can eat buffet type places for $6.00.

bmcjames

bmcjames

Awards
  • Established
You don't have to eat stake all day to achive results.

Try this broke biatch bulk diet on for size.
5 lbs of russet potatoes $1-$3 (depending on sale, or where you get them)
2.5lbs of 80/20 ground turkey ($1.88 a lb at walmart)

That is nearly 4000 cals a day, 350ish g carbs and 240ish g protein per day for $7.7 per day

To cook the potatoes I use a cookie sheet, cut the potatoes into thick fries (wedges) lightly spray the sheet with non stick cooking spray evenly lay out the wedges, sprinkle some pepper on them and bake @ 425F for 20-25 mintues

For a sauce HEB sells a Zero High Fructose Corn Syrup Ketchup (doesn't have any...) for like $2 a thing of it, 1 will last you like 3 days or so....

Obviously this isn't as polished off and nice as steak, and what not but it gives you the same macros for about 1/4 the price and you will get 100% the same gains....

BTW if you want to be lazy and not cut up the tators and or you do not have a oven, then get yourself a rice cooker and replace the 5 lbs of potatoes with 2-3 cups of brown rice (3 cups is nearly 500 g carbs). This is even cheaper and more convenient to cook....

-James

sub001

Awards
I'm a sophomore in college and feel you in the struggle. I dropped down to a 3 or 4 day workout week to save money on whey and workout supplements. Write down what you spend money on though, every single penny. You will see that you spend a dollar here, or 5 bucks there that you could have saved. I also like buying protein in 10lb tubs at minimum. I just finished a 10lb bag of ON 100% gold standard last month that I bought in like September. It lasted a long time when using 2 scoops post workout and sometimes 1 scoop for breakfast.

getbig1989

Awards
mcdonalds 59cent burgers on wednesday buy alot so that it will last u untill the next wednesday lol

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
mcdonalds 59cent burgers on wednesday buy alot so that it will last u untill the next wednesday lol
I think they would sour by the 3rd day.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
did someone mention peanut butter FLUFF!!!!??????!!?!?

good gravy does that bring back my childhood memories...

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
spam, corned beef, about 90 grams of protein per can. gross and cheap doesnt get anybetter than that

burgerking double cheesburger, 500 cals, 25 gram protein, delicous, $1.00 each. 1000 cal meal for $2.00

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
Get a job at a restaurant and eat while you cook. A friend of mine is a broke cook but always brings enough food home so he doesn't have to go grocery shopping. He's 5'10 225 and eats real good.

sub001

Awards
I think they would sour by the 3rd day.
I think it was the guy from Supersize Me, but either way someone tested a home made burger, home made fries, versus some decent restaurant chains burgers and fries, and then mcdonalds. Also they had the fish sandwiches. Everything spoiled in a few days aside from mcdonalds. They basically didn't rot for a very long time. Somehow I am guessing it's not just beef in there haha. Even the fries didn't rot. IIRC the fish sandwich was the worst and lasted weeks or something.

justeat

justeat

Awards
  • Established
did someone mention peanut butter FLUFF!!!!??????!!?!?

good gravy does that bring back my childhood memories...
thats my staple, its easy to get down. right before i go to sleep everynight, no matter how tired i am, i make a pb/fluff sammich and a tall glass of chocolate milk. like 700 calls and a lot of protein. deff recomend.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
The more fats in your diet the better since healthy fats increase HDL and hormone production.

ianm4208

Awards
For a sauce HEB sells a Zero High Fructose Corn Syrup Ketchup (doesn't have any...) for like $2 a thing of it, 1 will last you like 3 days or so....

-James
haha, you gotta get out of Tx more often. None of them know what HEB is.

HEB is a Texas grocery store... it stands for Hispanic Employment Bureau... I think

gnetics18

Awards
The broke mans Bulk breakfast recipes..

Chicken Chilaquiles
4-6 Corn Tortillas ($2 for about 50+ tortillas)
Shereded Chicken ($6 Whole rottisserie Chicken @ Walmart) Can last a few days.
Any cheese sprinkled on top. Any salsa you might have or tomato sauce.
2 Eggs ($1.39 a dozen @ Walgreens)
Cut tortillas into triangles ,Toast or microave tortillas to harden them, pour sauce add the rest. Add cooked eggs on top.

Spamichh
SPAM- 1 can $1.59 will last for a few sandwiches.
Eggs- 2 eggs ($1.39 a dozen at Walgreens)
Wheat Bread- Free loaf at the local church or $1 a loaf on sale at the store
Slice spam into thick slices, grill em, cook eggs up sunny side or scrambled. Add a lil lo carb ketchup and put on toasted bread..your set!

SCramble
Chop up some Spam/steak leftovers or similar, chop up some potatoes the less food you have the more potatoes as filler =) Add any leftover veggies (mushrooms/peppers) Add some eggs and grill it all up. On the cheap and fills you up.

Similarly they may have a food bank at the local church, where you may be able to get free assistance in groceries. As I once did, it was a real lifesaver..use Google my man.

tnubs

tnubs

Awards
  • Established
The broke mans Bulk breakfast recipes..

Chicken Chilaquiles
4-6 Corn Tortillas ($2 for about 50+ tortillas)
Shereded Chicken ($6 Whole rottisserie Chicken @ Walmart) Can last a few days.
Any cheese sprinkled on top. Any salsa you might have or tomato sauce.
2 Eggs ($1.39 a dozen @ Walgreens)
Cut tortillas into triangles ,Toast or microave tortillas to harden them, pour sauce add the rest. Add cooked eggs on top.

Spamichh
SPAM- 1 can $1.59 will last for a few sandwiches.
Eggs- 2 eggs ($1.39 a dozen at Walgreens)
Wheat Bread- Free loaf at the local church or $1 a loaf on sale at the store
Slice spam into thick slices, grill em, cook eggs up sunny side or scrambled. Add a lil lo carb ketchup and put on toasted bread..your set!

SCramble
Chop up some Spam/steak leftovers or similar, chop up some potatoes the less food you have the more potatoes as filler =) Add any leftover veggies (mushrooms/peppers) Add some eggs and grill it all up. On the cheap and fills you up.

Similarly they may have a food bank at the local church, where you may be able to get free assistance in groceries. As I once did, it was a real lifesaver..use Google my man.
wow that first recipe has my mouth watering!!!

gnetics18

Awards
You can alternately use shredded beef, I just usually have some time of chicken or beef leftover and that's what I use.

1/2 tsp EVO, chop the tortillas into Dorito size triangles and kind of fry, toss em in a pan only to crisp them up. Toss in salsa to taste, I like alot and get the small can Herdez Salsa Verde (.99cents) or make it at home red or green salsa. (got all kinds chiles in the backyard) simmer the tortillas with the sauce (add optional chopped cilantro and onion), mixx around add meats/chicken, add cheese.(mexican mix - jack,monterrey,colby) works great. add some eggs sunny side up to top off.. also fat free Sour cream and beans if desired...mmm mm now I know whats for breakfast tommorow. Should look like this..:439: these are both red versions, i like mine mean and green..:damnit1:

Attachments

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
Pasta, Eggs and pasta sauce costs fukall... poor man can afford it.

2 min noodles, Tuna and Natural PB cost fukall.. poor man can afford it.

cmc

cmc

Awards
Get a girlfriend, preferably an old school Italian one...those and their families usually have lots of food around and love to feed people. Cost-$0

dave12

Awards
  • Established
Why didn't I hear anything about going fishing? During leaner times I remember going to the river running for 30 mins and gawking at the chicks then fishing for an hour or two. 6-7 supplemental meals a week.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
romen noodels
ground beef
tuna
rice
peanut butter
i eat tuna and spinach on whole grain 3 times a day and i hate tuna stinky ass ****

airvine91

Awards
-Fat Free Milk cartons

-Eggs are relatively cheap

-Some cheap tough flank steaks at a wholesale club

-Pollo breasts are cheap

-Rice, Potatoes, Broccolli cheaap

Not so hard, you just have to cook it yourself. There are your cheap staple foods!

Dcell22

Dcell22

Awards
-naturally raised eggs come in cheap 18-paks at Wal-Mart!
-brown rice, white rice, oats, things like cous cous etc are nice n cheap if you buy them in a bulk foods section (good place to find beans, lentils etc too)
-natty PB slathered high on whole-grain is a staple high-cal snack for me
-canned food in general isnt the best but cans of pink salmon (esp if u go to Costco- if you have that- and get big packs of the cans- my g-ma used always buy these for me all the time back n the day when i was super poor- shes awesome), beans and chilis, corn etc