who wants huge biceps?

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
For a dramatic increase in bicep size, switch to using your straps when doing your bicep exercises. it will take the pressure off of your forearms and almost completely onto your biceps working them harder then before. you will now be working them to failure instead of working until your forearms give out instead of the biceps.

if you want a higher peak, do the same but switch to close grip. close grip curls hit the long head of the bicep, (gives you the peak). top three exerciese for adding mass to your peak is close grip BB, Incline DB curls, and close grip preacher curls

**wide grip preacher curls will not add hieght to your peak. preacher curls actually hit the short head of the bicep. if you want to add hieght, swtich to close grip.

if you want a thicker bicep, switch to wide grip, normal grip. this will hit the short head of the bicep add thickness to your guns.

if you want overall devlopment, use both close grip and wide grib exercises in your bicep routine.

more is not better, the more you do the worse. biceps are a small muscle group and it doesnt take much to work them. dont over do it.

also, the most important thing, if you want a bigger measurement to your arms do not neglect triceps. they are just as importnat as biceps. in my opinion there more important because they take up more of the arm then biceps do. most of what your measuring is actually triceps.

this isnt the end all be all but it will help

trojanman1016

Awards
For a dramatic increase in bicep size, switch to using your straps when doing your bicep exercises. it will take the pressure off of your forearms and almost completely onto your biceps working them harder then before. you will now be working them to failure instead of working until your forearms give out instead of the biceps.

if you want a higher peak, do the same but switch to close grip. close grip curls hit the long head of the bicep, (gives you the peak). top three exerciese for adding mass to your peak is close grip BB, Incline DB curls, and close grip preacher curls

**wide grip preacher curls will not add hieght to your peak. preacher curls actually hit the short head of the bicep. if you want to add hieght, swtich to close grip.

if you want a thicker bicep, switch to wide grip, normal grip. this will hit the short head of the bicep add thickness to your guns.

if you want overall devlopment, use both close grip and wide grib exercises in your bicep routine.

more is not better, the more you do the worse. biceps are a small muscle group and it doesnt take much to work them. dont over do it.

also, the most important thing, if you want a bigger measurement to your arms do not neglect triceps. they are just as importnat as biceps. in my opinion there more important because they take up more of the arm then biceps do. most of what your measuring is actually triceps.

this isnt the end all be all but it will help
hey, what do you mean switch to straps??

zodiiac523

zodiiac523

Awards
  • Established
go to nutraplanet and search straps.. i was going to post the link, but not cool enuff too yet :disappointed:

trojanman1016

Awards
ok so lifting straps, so are you saying use them from biceps curls?, or what?

landon

landon

Awards
This makes sense.. Wish i wouldve read this before i killed my biceps today. Ill be sure to try this next time

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
ok so lifting straps, so are you saying use them from biceps curls?, or what?
yes, use them for all your bicep exercises. like i said using them you will be working your biceps to complete failure instead of having to stop when your forearms cant hold the weight anymore

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Call me silly but use them how? using an overhand grip on the barbell dumbbell? cause if you are still using an underhand grip then the difference straps would make is minimal

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Call me silly but use them how? using an overhand grip on the barbell dumbbell? cause if you are still using an underhand grip then the difference straps would make is minimal
i dont know if you dont know how to use them with and underhand grip but the difference the straps make is the opposite of minimal. the bar, or dumbbell, is strapped in tight releaving your forearms of the weight putting all on you biceps.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Using straps for biceps is too far, IMO. If your forearms are too weak to handle the load from bicep training, then you really need to strengthen them first.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i disagree, i never advocated trainning with a weight your forearms cant handle, its after that 8th, 9th, 10th rep when your forearms do give out before your biceps. i work my forearms at their own time. they deserve attention too. ive seen alot of pros do this on their dvds and wish i had seen it earlier because it has made a huge difference on the size/strength of my biceps.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i disagree, i never advocated trainning with a weight your forearms cant handle, its after that 8th, 9th, 10th rep when your forearms do give out before your biceps. i work my forearms at their own time. they deserve attention too. ive seen alot of pros do this on their dvds and wish i had seen it earlier because it has made a huge difference on the size/strength of my biceps.
Your first sentence doesn't make any sense. How can your forearms handle a weight, but give out as well?

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
also, the straps arent used to use a heavier weight, there simply used to take most, if not all, forearm/grip strength out and focus primarily on the biceps. work forearms on their own so each muscle gets its specific attention

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
Not convinced but ill give it a shot and report back

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Your first sentence doesn't make any sense. How can your forearms handle a weight, but give out as well?
it makes perfect sense

you can pick up a wieght and hold it no problem. your forearms/grip are handle the weight fine and they do so for the first however many reps. lets just say 8 for this example. your forearms held out great for the first eight. then they started to burn, your fingers open up and you cant hold it anymore, your biceps meanwhile arent done yet. the straps are to prevent that.

if you dont like it then dont do it, but its nothing to be knocked down because its obviously something that works. maybe from a fighters stance where its more about overall strength i can see the point your trying to make, but i am comming from a aesthetic stand point.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it makes perfect sense

you can pick up a wieght and hold it no problem. your forearms/grip are handle the weight fine and they do so for the first however many reps. lets just say 8 for this example. your forearms held out great for the first eight. then they started to burn, your fingers open up and you cant hold it anymore, your biceps meanwhile arent done yet. the straps are to prevent that.

if you dont like it then dont do it, but its nothing to be knocked down because its obviously something that works. maybe from a fighters stance where its more about overall strength i can see the point your trying to make, but i am comming from a aesthetic stand point.
From a practicality and a kinetic sense, you're just exacerbating the imbalances in your chain. There really is no need to "squeeze" the DB/BB while doing any sort of curls. The best way to describe the best grip is to scoop the bar and to keep a straight line between your elbows to your fingers.

maddog28

Awards
  • Established
how many biceps exercises should u do on days ur doins bi's

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
everybody is different and everybody gets results different.... don't rip on a new technique until you have tried it.... I think i'll give this a shot, I can definitely see how your forearms can give out before your biceps get tired... good post

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From a practicality and a kinetic sense, you're just exacerbating the imbalances in your chain. There really is no need to "squeeze" the DB/BB while doing any sort of curls. The best way to describe the best grip is to scoop the bar and to keep a straight line between your elbows to your fingers.
I guess looking at grip from this perspective is where without trying it I just don't see where straps would make any difference. On a pull exercise, the straps make the difference by redistributing the weight from your grip and fingers needing to hold it to the strap holding it to your wrist. but on a standing BB bicep curl i barely grip the bar as it is for most of the range of motion, and possibly don't go that much lower than forearms parallel to the floor (which is the point where grip would start to matter I think).

I'll still try it next time in the gym, since I use versagrips anyhow its just flapping them the other way around the bar.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
guys, if u dont wanna do it then dont do it! u dont know how it works unless u give it a shot or a month then measure then go back to no straps for a month then measure and see if there is a difference, even if it is small which it prob will be but if your growing, your growing.i know if straps are going to give me more of a Bi work, im gonna at least try it and not tear down ricky

musclehustler

musclehustler

Awards
I agree, My forearms do give out before my biceps and I am going to try this. If it could help push out another rep or give you better form by taking some stress off your forearms then every little bit counts and I am all for it! Ill let you guys know how it goes, Thanks

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
guys, if u dont wanna do it then dont do it! u dont know how it works unless u give it a shot or a month then measure then go back to no straps for a month then measure and see if there is a difference, even if it is small which it prob will be but if your growing, your growing.i know if straps are going to give me more of a Bi work, im gonna at least try it and not tear down ricky
before i started using straps i was stuck at 18s. i built them up from 16s the year before and i had hit a sticking point. i tried everything. then i saw erik frankhouser doing these, i gave it a shot and after 2 weeks they were up to 18.5s and after a month i hit 19s. im working my way up to 20s and i credit the straps.

if you dont want to use them, then dont

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
I agree, My forearms do give out before my biceps and I am going to try this. If it could help push out another rep or give you better form by taking some stress off your forearms then every little bit counts and I am all for it! Ill let you guys know how it goes, Thanks
hell yeah man

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Biceps-specific training is overrated and discussed way too often. I guess that's the nature of the game though...

The key to biceps development is through efficient back work and knowing how much volume to dedicated towards biceps-specific work. For instance, during my back workout I'll do a pulling motion (pull-ups), a rowing motion (rows) and maybe deadlifts or an additional rowing movement. All of these exercises makes the biceps work very hard, so you don't really need a lot of biceps-specific work. Most of the time, less is more. After a back workout I've found that 3 sets on 3 different exercises works best for me (that's 3 total sets). I'll do something like a set of incline DB curls, then a set of preacher curls or lying DB curls, then a set of standing DB curls or concentration curls. I switch it up a lot but always focus on maximum poundage while keeping good, strict technique. When I work the biceps, I make my biceps do as much of the work as possible. Kills me to see people throwing the weights around in an effort to complete the lift.

So I like the idea of doing a different exercise for each set. Some of the exercises I pick from are:
- Bar Curls
- Standing DB Curls
- Incline DB Curls
- Lying DB Curls
- Preacher Curls
- Concentration Curls
- Reverse Curls
- Chins (occasionally)

Make sure the arc on your curl is wide, that you flex the biceps at the top momentarily, and that you resist the weight all the way down. Also, using wrist rotation on DB movements is a good idea because the biceps functions also include wrist rotation (as well as curling the arm, duh). ;)

Peace

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Asking questions about "why and how" is important, because broscience and wacky ideas abound. I don't have to spend a month with a 2lb weight hanging off my testicles to know it isn't likely to increase testosterone production no matter what someone says, and if I recall correctly Rodja is certified as a trainer and has taken a number of college level kinesiology courses. as the logo of the site says "Learn Teach Lead" but not being able to explain a why or how fully isn't a great way to teach or lead.

Is it possible this helps with bicep size? Sure, I'd just like to understand the rationale entirely before dedicating a month or two to it. You might have the time or whatever other reason you are willing to just try anything for a month, i'm quite a bit more particular about how I change my workout routine.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Asking questions about "why and how" is important, because broscience and wacky ideas abound. I don't have to spend a month with a 2lb weight hanging off my testicles to know it isn't likely to increase testosterone production no matter what someone says, and if I recall correctly Rodja is certified as a trainer and has taken a number of college level kinesiology courses. as the logo of the site says "Learn Teach Lead" but not being able to explain a why or how fully isn't a great way to teach or lead.

Is it possible this helps with bicep size? Sure, I'd just like to understand the rationale entirely before dedicating a month or two to it. You might have the time or whatever other reason you are willing to just try anything for a month, i'm quite a bit more particular about how I change my workout routine.
its black and white to me. if you dont understand the rationale to using them then dont. i dont care if you try it or not, but it makes sense, it works.

after living with a roomate with a degree in exericse science and a certified personal trainner, i really take what they say with a grain of salt. i taught him more then hes ever taught me...and im an art student. theres alot to be said for putting your own time in the gym and finding out new things.

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established

The rationale is from what I heard: some people might gain more strength or mass in their biceps by using straps because their forearms get tired and with the straps you might be able to push out another few reps. I think that is good enough rationale without having to get all scientific, If it worked for ONE person that is a good enough reason to try it.. IMO.. Everybody is different. I'd rather listen to somebody who tried it and benefited from it than somebody who learned out of a book that that might not work..

You can get a real good look at a T-bone by stickin your head up a bulls ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its black and white to me. if you dont understand the rationale to using them then dont. i dont care if you try it or not, but it makes sense, it works.

after living with a roomate with a degree in exericse science and a certified personal trainner, i really take what they say with a grain of salt. i taught him more then hes ever taught me...and im an art student. theres alot to be said for putting your own time in the gym and finding out new things.
Sure broscience over medical science any day :crazy:

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
yeah, alot of the best techniques are passed around in the gym. not a book.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
The rationale is from what I heard: some people might gain more strength or mass in their biceps by using straps because their forearms get tired and with the straps you might be able to push out another few reps. I think that is good enough rationale without having to get all scientific, If it worked for ONE person that is a good enough reason to try it.. IMO.. Everybody is different. I'd rather listen to somebody who tried it and benefited from it than somebody who learned out of a book that that might not work..

You can get a real good look at a T-bone by stickin your head up a bulls ass, but wouldn't you rather take the butchers word for it?
couldnt say it better if i tried

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established

He stated the rationale in the OP. Try it or don't. Not sure what the problem is.... You can't say it does or doesn't work until you've tried it.

There seems to be logic to his rationale. So i'm willing to say it may work for some, may not for some. Just like anything else.

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
So you would recommend using straps to someone who didn't already have decent forearm strength since the forearms get a lot of work from doing curling movements? Seems like a beginner should do regular curling movements without straps just to build up some forearm strength.

I'm going to try using straps sometime for biceps work since I've never done that.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
So you would recommend using straps to someone who didn't already have decent forearm strength since the forearms get a lot of work from doing curling movements? Seems like a beginner should do regular curling movements without straps just to build up some forearm strength.

I'm going to try using straps sometime for biceps work since I've never done that.
yeah i would, ive said like three or four other times to hit forearms on their own. most guys dont even do forearms they rely on things like curls and rows etc to build their forearms strength. id rather pay each muscle group its due on their own time then rely on something else to strengthen it.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
He stated the rationale in the OP. Try it or don't. Not sure what the problem is.... You can't say it does or doesn't work until you've tried it.

There seems to be logic to his rationale. So i'm willing to say it may work for some, may not for some. Just like anything else.
thanks man, thats what im saying.