Anabolic Diet, Specific Questions

gijoe985

Awards
Hey all,

I've read through the anabolic diet book and have been on the CKG. They seem pretty similar. I just have a few questions that I'd like to run by people who either know about the anabolic diet, or feel they can give an educated guess.

1)Why do you cut your protein intakeon the weekend carb load? Just curious. It shows 30-40% protein on weekday, but only 10-15% on the weekend, with fat still at 30-40%. I know on CKG they try to limit fat on weekends, while keeping the protein about the same.

2)For the sake of bulking and seeing gains (though I assume this would apply to the CKG as well) when should you focus your workout around seeign gains, the beginnig or end of the week? Just coming off the carb load, or the day you are going into it? I.e. If I started working out each muscle group twice a week, I figure I'd lift harder during one of each session, should that be earlier or later. This is more directed to bulking, but I assume it would apply during a cut as well, to some extent...

3)Purely for the sake of cutting costs, what should a minimum protein intake be during a bulk? The AD states 30-40%. Putting in my numbers, that'd be between 337g-450g of protein. I know in the past I've heard the general rule of 1g per lean pound, 1.5g, and 2g. That would put me anywhere from 185g-277g-370g. With 277h of protein I'd be getting 24% of my calories. Only 16% if I did 185g. I think 277g of protein should be sufficient. I can always try it out and see how it works. I will also be supplementing amino acids. So that kinda counts for something... I did some quick math and if I ate 277g of protein it'd cost me about $5 per day in protein. (That's a combo of red meat, chicken, and powder) And I will admit, that's a bit steep for me on my shoestring budget, but I'll make it work. Anyway, I just wante dto run the idea of doing 24% protein with 74% fat and 2% carb (25g)

4)I don't see anything about postworkout carbs mentioned in the AD as it is in CKG. Can I still get away with 15-30g or hi GI post work out carbs in my shake? Just curious... I assume so...

Thanks

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Hey all

I've read through the anabolic diet book and have been on the CKG. They seem pretty similar. I just have a few questions that I'd like to run by people who either know about the anabolic diet, or feel they can give an educated guess.

1)Why do you cut your protein intakeon the weekend carb load? Just curious. It shows 30-40% protein on weekday, but only 10-15% on the weekend, with fat still at 30-40%. I know on CKG they try to limit fat on weekends, while keeping the protein about the same.

2)For the sake of bulking and seeing gains (though I assume this would apply to the CKG as well) when should you focus your workout around seeign gains, the beginnig or end of the week? Just coming off the carb load, or the day you are going into it? I.e. If I started working out each muscle group twice a week, I figure I'd lift harder during one of each session, should that be earlier or later. This is more directed to bulking, but I assume it would apply during a cut as well, to some extent...

3)Purely for the sake of cutting costs, what should a minimum protein intake be during a bulk? The AD states 30-40%. Putting in my numbers, that'd be between 337g-450g of protein. I know in the past I've heard the general rule of 1g per lean pound, 1.5g, and 2g. That would put me anywhere from 185g-277g-370g. With 277h of protein I'd be getting 24% of my calories. Only 16% if I did 185g. I think 277g of protein should be sufficient. I can always try it out and see how it works. I will also be supplementing amino acids. So that kinda counts for something... I did some quick math and if I ate 277g of protein it'd cost me about $5 per day in protein. (That's a combo of red meat, chicken, and powder) And I will admit, that's a bit steep for me on my shoestring budget, but I'll make it work. Anyway, I just wante dto run the idea of doing 24% protein with 74% fat and 2% carb (25g)

4)I don't see anything about postworkout carbs mentioned in the AD as it is in CKG. Can I still get away with 15-30g or hi GI post work out carbs in my shake? Just curious... I assume so...

Thanks
Read the book.

http://www.australia-bodybuilding.com/Fitness - Anabolic Diet.pdf

gijoe985

Awards
Read the book.
Well, I mentioned in the beginning of my thread that I've read the book. But thanks for the link, many people haven't. These are actually questions that I've come up with after reading it...

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Hey all,

Sorry. I missed this where you said you read the book.

Because during a cut, you have to eat higher protein to maintain muscle and avoid breakdown. During the week, you are cutting fat, and protein needs to be higher to assure you are not becoming catabolic and your body has the supplies of amino acids it needs. And 70% fat and 30% protein would be a bit high. The lower protein on the weekends allow a better carb load.

Good question. You will make your better gains early in the week. I would do something like this for a workout routine.

Monday- Heavy Upper
Tuesday- Heavy Lower
Thursday- Light Upper
Friday- Light Lower

1g of protein for every lb of lean bodyweight. Higher amounts of protein can be dangerous through ammonia buildup and nitrogen that is excreted in the kidneys from excessive amino acids has been linked to osteoporosis and kidney stones.

TKD is pre and post workout carbs. Personally, I would not follow TKD or CKD strictly, but instead do a hybrid; especially if you have a fast metabolism. If you want to add the carbs in post workout (15-30 g), then you can, but you will not be following the anabolic diet.

gijoe985

Awards
One reason that I wanted to do post workout carbs is because a couple of my potential PWO protein sources have either 3g or 4g of carbs per serving. Though they are not high GI...

So you mentioned having over 1g per pound can have potential problems, then what about bulking on the AD? Again, if I go by their numbers, I'd be taking in 350 or so grams of protein a day... Which is why is I was asking about the protein needs and the AD macros.

Like you said, I don't think I'll be following any said diet too strictly. I can't see myself affording 30-40% cals from protein on a 4500 cal diet any time soon... But I'll find something that works, which will probably resemble the anabolic diet...

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
One reason that I wanted to do post workout carbs is because a couple of my potential PWO protein sources have either 3g or 4g of carbs per serving. Though they are not high GI...
3 of 4g of carbs won't hurt anything. You should make your limit between 25-35 carbs and only consume them through indirect sources or green vegetables. You are bulking anyway, so there's no real reason to use this diet; it is intended for cutting.

So you mentioned having over 1g per pound can have potential problems, then what about bulking on the AD? Again, if I go by their numbers, I'd be taking in 350 or so grams of protein a day... Which is why is I was asking about the protein needs and the AD macros.
No you wouldn't. The Anabolic diet is basically CKD, which requires 1g of protein for every lb of lean bodyweight. You should be eating in a caloric deficit diet. Too much protein will make the diet counterproductive by breaking down excessive amino acids in the form of glucose.

If you are 220 lbs and 10% bodyfat your LBM is 198 lbs.

198 * 4 = 792 calories from protein sources

Add another 60% of your calories, which would be from fat sources, then another few calories for the indirect carbs and you will be in a deficit that allows you to lose weight without eating +300g of protein per day.

Like you said, I don't think I'll be following any said diet too strictly. I can't see myself affording 30-40% cals from protein on a 4500 cal diet any time soon... But I'll find something that works, which will probably resemble the anabolic diet...
That is too many calories for this type of diet anyway. I would use solely as a method of cutting. You need a lot of carbs to bulk with and add muscle; this diet is a carb deficit.

gijoe985

Awards
Well, I do intend on trying a AD bulk. I figure it can't hurt. I'd like to try for 8 weeks and see how it goes. If I did go "by the book" then I'd be taking in way more protein.

For a by the book AD bulk it states-
KEYS TO SUCCESS IN THE MASS PHASE
• Increase bodyweight to 15 percent above your “ideal” contest weight
• Eat 20 to 25 calories per pound of “ideal” weight daily
• If you have trouble eating enough, make calories a weekly, rather than daily, goal
• Bodyfat shouldn’t rise above the 10 percent level
• End the “Mass Phase” when you reach your “ideal” weight or rise to the 10 percent
bodyfat level, whichever comes first
• Whether you’ve reached your “ideal” weight or not, the “Mass Phase” must cease 12
weeks before a contest
• A gain of 2 pounds per week is best
And that would be at the 30-35% protein and 55-60% fat, with 25g from carbs.

Anyway, I've tried different diets. I've done clean and dirty bulks with a standard diet, so I think trying this would be interesting. I am already seeing very successful results on the CKD diet for cutting. I've lost near 1% each week for the last few weeks, and I gained a pound of lean mass. (I naturally do pretty well cutting and gaining.) So, while I was researching ideas for when I plan to bulk, I found the AD, which claims to be made for bulking clean. In the book he doesn't mention much about cutting. It more revolves around clean/lean bulking.

In the end, it could be an 8 week success, or maybe failure... Either way, it should be fun...