College Student diet plan help, and other questions

Z

zmils24

Awards
Im a 20 yr old college student trying to bulk up. ive been lifting seriously now for about 1 1/2 years, and i think maybe im actually starting to get on the RIGHT track of building muscle! My budget is extremely limited just casue im in college and i just got laid off! :worried:. Any ways i got this book from a friend of a friend and ive been trying to live by this diet plan for about 2 weeks now..

Meal 1: 6 hardboiled eggs w/o yolk, a whole grain piece of bread, bannana, and a glass of non fat milk spiked with about 2 tbl spoons of milk powder to increase protein
Meal 2: 1 chicken breast, about 2 servings of veggies(vary), a serviing of brown rice, a glass of non fat milk spiked with about 2 tbl spoons of milk powder
Meal 3: Tuna salad (romaine lettuce, canned tuna), bannana, 1 vegg.,a glass of non fat milk spiked with about 2 tbl spoons of milk powder
Meal 4: Monster Mass shake (4 scoops:full serving) as my pre-workout !! I found it a little weird it said to take a weight gainer before a workout? but ive been doing it
Meal 5: Chicken breast, 2 veggies, serving of brown rice,a glass of milk spiked with about 2 tbl spoons of milk powder
Meal 6: Whatever else i can eat before bed as far as leftovers; maybe chicken, snack on pistachios, peanut butter and jelly,a boiled egg if im feeeling froggy, simple stuff

** i also take free form amino soft gels 3 times daily, vitamin C twice daily, and a B complex every morning(taste like A**), and before bed i take L-arginine and Glutamine

Now let me say beleive it or not it is costing me like 70 bucks a week for all this(which i know isnt a lot but for me right now it is!!) so if you have any other replacements for anything else in this diet PLEASEEEEEEE tell me. or if you suggest different things for different meals. more of, less of something, easier meals, etc.ALL help is appreciated!!

And any tips of how to get these meals in would be great to, considereing i have class from 9-1pm on Mon/Wed and 11-2pm tue/thur so its hard to get those full meal between classes and stuff.

Im 6' 1; 200 pounds even, and i want to be about 225. I dont take any supplements just becasue there expensice as S*** sometimes and i have experimented with many different ones and they just dont have a huge impact on me

Now i now this is a stupid question to ask as well but ive been told a million different things. When trying to size up how many reps are you looking at till failure. ive been doing 10 reps 3 sets, failing at 10

And any ways to help build testosterone naturally???

I know this is a lot but it means a lot to me becasue i love lifting and i just want to be on the right track and dont want to waste any precious time or my hard lifting
Thanks

B

bboyflash

Awards
wheres the fat??? n e ways i was in a similar situation last year and right now it only costs me 25-30$wk 4 food and i eat 8 meals(6whole foods) a day...well 4 protien i eat from eggs, milk, fish, eggs, 4 carbs oatmeal, fruit, brown rice or 100%whole wheat pasta, 4 fat natty PB, nuts, avacados

Z

zmils24

Awards
can i get a better diet plan, anyone willing to share?

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
can i get a better diet plan, anyone willing to share?

hey man thats pretty solid with only a few things i'd change, im a senior in college so i know exactly what you are talking about.

i'd replace all the skim milk with whole milk, your on a bulk so its ok, milk fat is good and you where asking how to naturally boost test...this will do it.

i'd add in some form of red meat, doesnt have to be everyday but id add it in, be it ground beef or a cheap cut of steak, red meat is crucial on a bulk, red meat also naturally boosts your test.

dont take out the yolks of your eggs, theres good fats in those, dont be affraid of good fats, your on a bulk

i dont know where you heard to take a weight gainer before workout but id def scratch that and just take a whey shake, theres not fat in most whey shakes and thats what you want preworkout, fast digesting protien with not fat. take the weight gainer before you go to bed, you should notice a big diffference with that.

i hear you on the supplements, they are expensive and most dont do jack, however, animal M-stak is one of the only supps i swear my life on that adds size and strength noticably. everytime i am supprized when i take it. you can get it cheap online but at stores its going to be $$$$$$$.

as far as rep ranges goes, when im on a bulk i do 6-8 reps, 10 is fine too but i wouldnt go above that. dont be affraid to go down to 6.

**pretty sound so far man, its all about what works for you so you have some experimentaion to do. hoped this helped man

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
This is repeating a lot of what Ricky said, but it's very important to accomplishing your goals, so it's worth repeating. Leave the yolks in the eggs...that's precious protein and extra calories. Definitely dump the skim milk and go with whole. Personally, I use 1% from a dairy chain we have here in Oklahoma called Braum's becuase their lower fat milk contains higher concentrations of protein and only has 20 less calories per serving than whole. If something like that is available, that would work too.

There's two items to boost your overall calories and protein faster than anything else, IMO, and that's milk and peanut butter (I'm a Skippy fan :) ). Sit down with a jar of PB and a tablespoon. You can eat five heaping tablespoons of PB easily, which actually equates to ten measured tablespoons. That's roughly 1,000 calories, 35 grams of protein and a crapload of good fat. Wash that down with 16oz of whole milke and you have another 300 calories and 16 grams of protein. This is usually my meal of choice an hour before I train and then approximately twenty minutes before I head to the gym I drink a serving of Glucavol...great pre-workout drink with an excellent source of carbs. Bananas are great too.

Red meat has to come into play as well, just as Ricky stated. Great source of protein, vital amino acids and creatine. Steak is best, obviously, but ground beef is good too. Just so long as you're eating some beef. When you do drink your weightgain shakes, throw in a couple packets of Quaker instant oatmeal. This makes it a little thicker, but it's a quick and easy way to add some extra carbs. Also an excuse to add more milk to your shake :)

Supplement-wise, a good mulit-vitamin/mineral, vitamin c, E and a good zinc/magnesium supplement are a great start. Make sure you're drinking no less than a gallon of water a day. Gallon and a half to two gallons is ideal. Purus Labs' Recycle is an excellent OTC natural testosterone booster that I would say is worth the money. Most products out there aren't worth the plastic bottle they're sold in. Purus is quality.

You would be surprised how much you can do with oatmeal, ground beef, angel hair pasta, peanut butter, milk, taco shells, and some tomato sauce. It's kind of redundant but easy to gauge your intake and know what your getting on a daily basis.

Deadlifts, squats, bench press, chins, dips, rows...basic, heavy movements. I would stay in the 4-5 sets in the 4-6 rep range for deads, squats, and bench, and 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps for most other movements. You're not going to build a powerful physique doing dumbbell curls and cable pushdowns. If getting big was easy, every Joe Weightlifter in the world would weigh 250lbs by eating ho-ho's and doing curls and leg extensions. You can achieve your goals, bro. I've said this already today in another post, but consistency is the key. I weighed 135lbs when I started fifteen years ago and I weigh 215 today. I'm a hardgainer with longer limbs, so if I can do it, you can do it.

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
This is repeating a lot of what Ricky said, but it's very important to accomplishing your goals, so it's worth repeating. Leave the yolks in the eggs...that's precious protein and extra calories. Definitely dump the skim milk and go with whole. Personally, I use 1% from a dairy chain we have here in Oklahoma called Braum's becuase their lower fat milk contains higher concentrations of protein and only has 20 less calories per serving than whole. If something like that is available, that would work too.

There's two items to boost your overall calories and protein faster than anything else, IMO, and that's milk and peanut butter (I'm a Skippy fan :) ). Sit down with a jar of PB and a tablespoon. You can eat five heaping tablespoons of PB easily, which actually equates to ten measured tablespoons. That's roughly 1,000 calories, 35 grams of protein and a crapload of good fat. Wash that down with 16oz of whole milke and you have another 300 calories and 16 grams of protein. This is usually my meal of choice an hour before I train and then approximately twenty minutes before I head to the gym I drink a serving of Glucavol...great pre-workout drink with an excellent source of carbs. Bananas are great too.

Red meat has to come into play as well, just as Ricky stated. Great source of protein, vital amino acids and creatine. Steak is best, obviously, but ground beef is good too. Just so long as you're eating some beef. When you do drink your weightgain shakes, throw in a couple packets of Quaker instant oatmeal. This makes it a little thicker, but it's a quick and easy way to add some extra carbs. Also an excuse to add more milk to your shake :)

Supplement-wise, a good mulit-vitamin/mineral, vitamin c, E and a good zinc/magnesium supplement are a great start. Make sure you're drinking no less than a gallon of water a day. Gallon and a half to two gallons is ideal. Purus Labs' Recycle is an excellent OTC natural testosterone booster that I would say is worth the money. Most products out there aren't worth the plastic bottle they're sold in. Purus is quality.

You would be surprised how much you can do with oatmeal, ground beef, angel hair pasta, peanut butter, milk, taco shells, and some tomato sauce. It's kind of redundant but easy to gauge your intake and know what your getting on a daily basis.

Deadlifts, squats, bench press, chins, dips, rows...basic, heavy movements. I would stay in the 4-5 sets in the 4-6 rep range for deads, squats, and bench, and 4-5 sets of 8-10 reps for most other movements. You're not going to build a powerful physique doing dumbbell curls and cable pushdowns. If getting big was easy, every Joe Weightlifter in the world would weigh 250lbs by eating ho-ho's and doing curls and leg extensions. You can achieve your goals, bro. I've said this already today in another post, but consistency is the key. I weighed 135lbs when I started fifteen years ago and I weigh 215 today. I'm a hardgainer with longer limbs, so if I can do it, you can do it.

awesome point about the peanut butter and the oatmeal. for $$ reasons i buy regualr oats and grind them in my blender and thow theat in my shake i carry inbetween classes. its easier to get down if its ground up. i havent tried purus labs recycle but i was being convinced to try some in another thread so i stand behind that comment aswell. getting in some d-aspartic acid is also another good way to naturally boost your test. its cheap, runs about $3.99 a bottle and is pretty good.

Z

zmils24

Awards
thanks a lot guys i appreciate it; ill will be heading back to the grocery store as soon as this f****** snow storm stops.

D

dave12

Awards
  • Established

Well said and I agree with all of this except the egg yolks. 6 egg yolks may be a bit much. I usually go with 3 whole eggs and a cup of egg whites. I also am in college and if I were to be eating 6 egg yolks a day the egg farts would scare off the chicks and that's 80 percent of the fun of being in school.

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
That's why it's important to find a chic that can tolerate a good ol' high protein diet fart! :)

R

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Well said and I agree with all of this except the egg yolks. 6 egg yolks may be a bit much. I usually go with 3 whole eggs and a cup of egg whites. I also am in college and if I were to be eating 6 egg yolks a day the egg farts would scare off the chicks and that's 80 percent of the fun of being in school.
i eat 6 egg yolks a day,sometimes more and i have never experienced more or less farts depending, even when i start to diet and dont eat any, im farting about the same... maybe its your stomach

NOwa

NOwa

Awards
after reading this i can definitely say that i have a better understnding of what I need to do in order to reach my perma goal of 200. you guys who contributed are awesome. happy lifting

AlbinoRhino44

AlbinoRhino44

Awards
Great adivice so far. These previous posts pretty much cover the basics. To reiterate, and agree with the guys so far, eat the yolks (at least half) and move that weight gainer shake to right before bed. Also, that red meat is crucial. I doubt it's just me, but eating red meat makes your muscles feel fuller and makes you feel stronger. Bc it really does do those things. Also, keeping budget in mind, the less variance in your budget (ie the more you eat the same ****) the more you can buy in bulk and save that way. as mentioned, if eating the same stuff all the time was easy, everyone would have no prob being 250 plus. but its hard. stay focused and tell yourself you like eating the same thing all the time. Mind over matter.