190 at 6'3. Help with a lean bulk

ceazur

ceazur

Awards
I have been lifting about a year ,and I am on the edge of quitting. I am in college and me and a buddy stopped lifting over christmas because of work and break. Now That we are back in the gym I have went from working out with 205 to not being able to do 3 sets of 5 with 185.... I feel like **** and it is discouraging as hell. I didnt gain 10 pounds of muscle mass the entire year i lifted. Only SOME strength. I am at about 15 -17 % body fat and I DO NOT want to gain much more. I know I will gain some but I dont want to gain much. I have minor hips and it makes me feel self conscience. I do not have a weight plan but I do lift 3 days a week. 2 muscle groups a day.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Write down your actual workout and diet plan so people on here can help you bro.

timmy202

Awards
You have to want it bad bro,Bust your ass in yhe gym,Make sure you EAT high protien foods,Dont give up or you will kick yourself if you ever want to strt up again.THE MIND IS A POWERFUL THING DONT LET IT BRING YOU DOWN.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
start counting your calories..learn how many calories it takes to maintain and raise them by 200-300..still stuck raise them some more...the opposite is true when losing..

I am surprised how many people can not get results they want yet do not count calories

Ironhyde

Ironhyde

Awards
What does your current diet/workout program look like? Give us some specifics about the types and quantities of food you're eating, water intake, sleep, main exercises in your training routine, rep/set schemes, etc. I'm very much a hardgainer myself, so I'm sure that myself and several others here can give you some good and useful insight into your situation to help you get past this point in your training. Bro, it's ongoing, day in and day out, week after week, month after month, year after year. There is NO SUBSTITUTE for consistency. I'm going on 15 years of training, and I weighed 135lbs when I first seriously picked up a dumbbell. The biggest thing that seperates us from those who "just want to put on 10lbs of muscle" and those of us who actually put on muscle, is discipline. Give us some info and I'm sure you'll get lots of helpful information.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
good advice this far - subbing in to help when OP posts the needed info.

need to gain

Awards
I know kinda how you feel man. I haven't been able to gain any weight. I did gain a lot on my bench. So sorry ha I have no pointers just sympathy lol.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
all hairdgainers out there, including myself, EAT EAT EAT. screw PHs and all that crap. if u arent gaining EAT MORE. even if its an extra shake a day or an extra sandwich a day. eat it

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
total body 3x per week. you need that foundation work before you move on to 2 muscles per day. IMO at least.

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
Hey, this is the same weight I was at about 2 years ago. How did I bulk up? I didn't do anything drastic, just realized that I had been neglecting my LEGS for so freaking long. So, I started doing squats regularly and dedicated at least one day per week workout partially to my legs (I usually work shoulders on my leg day). Also picked up some All The Whey protein powder and did a pre workout shake about an hour before hitting a gym, and then a post work out within 30 minutes of getting done with my workout. I think I got up to around 208 over the course of a couple months just from that. Recently I realized I'd rather be lean and mean though, so started throwing in some HIIT cardio to get back down to a solid 200-202.

Don't be discouraged about your bench strength going down, you'll be back up to 205 (and beyond, if you work at it) in no time. I recently strained my left pec so I had to take a few weeks off doing any chest exercises which SUCKED. While I had the strain I was struggling to get 135 up 3 times while I was doing 225 during my 4th set weeks prior! Last week I was all healed up and have started easing back into it, but I only went up to 185. Just give it time, don't let a little time off from the gym defeat you. Stuff happens and sometimes you can't make it in. It's all about how you bounce back.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Hey, this is the same weight I was at about 2 years ago. How did I bulk up? I didn't do anything drastic, just realized that I had been neglecting my LEGS for so freaking long. So, I started doing squats regularly and dedicated at least one day per week workout partially to my legs (I usually work shoulders on my leg day). Also picked up some All The Whey protein powder and did a pre workout shake about an hour before hitting a gym, and then a post work out within 30 minutes of getting done with my workout. I think I got up to around 208 over the course of a couple months just from that. Recently I realized I'd rather be lean and mean though, so started throwing in some HIIT cardio to get back down to a solid 200-202.

Don't be discouraged about your bench strength going down, you'll be back up to 205 (and beyond, if you work at it) in no time. I recently strained my left pec so I had to take a few weeks off doing any chest exercises which SUCKED. While I had the strain I was struggling to get 135 up 3 times while I was doing 225 during my 4th set weeks prior! Last week I was all healed up and have started easing back into it, but I only went up to 185. Just give it time, don't let a little time off from the gym defeat you. Stuff happens and sometimes you can't make it in. It's all about how you bounce back.
Yup - if you neglect legs without question it will hold back your growth.

roscoe28

Awards
eat, eat, eat, and eat some more......i've never liked the term "lean bulk". if your actually serious about gaining muscle your gunna hafta put on some weight to do it....even if that means losing your 6 pack for a little bit....eat alot of calories, bust your ass in the gym, and stick with a routine....gain some lbs even if it is "fat" to you, cut down and dont be suprised if half of that weight you gained turns out to be muscle

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
eat, eat, eat, and eat some more......i've never liked the term "lean bulk". if your actually serious about gaining muscle your gunna hafta put on some weight to do it....even if that means losing your 6 pack for a little bit....eat alot of calories, bust your ass in the gym, and stick with a routine....gain some lbs even if it is "fat" to you, cut down and dont be suprised if half of that weight you gained turns out to be muscle
i don't disagree - you WILL gain fat with muscle. However, I see plenty of guys - especially guys new to bb-ing - binge eating on french fries and taco bell claiming "its okay, i'm bulking!". Lean bulk, alot of times, means bulking right. You need 6 meals daily, you need 1 gram protein per lb. bw, you need to increase cals gradually (500 cal inc. / wk.).

roscoe28

Awards
i don't disagree - you WILL gain fat with muscle. However, I see plenty of guys - especially guys new to bb-ing - binge eating on french fries and taco bell claiming "its okay, i'm bulking!". Lean bulk, alot of times, means bulking right. You need 6 meals daily, you need 1 gram protein per lb. bw, you need to increase cals gradually (500 cal inc. / wk.).
your exactly right.....eating garbage like that will obviously deter you from your goals.....most people are not quite sure how to bulk right, and everything you said here i can agree with....but theres many guys i hear in many forums ask how can i gain muscle without gaining fat by bulking.....well kids, when you find out, make sure to tell me

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
your exactly right.....eating garbage like that will obviously deter you from your goals.....most people are not quite sure how to bulk right, and everything you said here i can agree with....but theres many guys i hear in many forums ask how can i gain muscle without gaining fat by bulking.....well kids, when you find out, make sure to tell me
i agree. we are on the same page here.

Mikey851

Awards
  • Established
I was eating everything I came across for a while and I was gaining weight and alot of it was fat. Recently I have planned out daily meals that I can repeat for the most part, and all of it composed of healthy whole foods aside from a few protein shakes. Combine that and throw in some morning cardio and you can gain weight quickly while minimizing fat gain.

Counting calories is important for sure, but if you find yourself getting lazy with counting and are just hungry, another serving of chicken and rice won't get you in near as much trouble as a double cheeseburger.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I was eating everything I came across for a while and I was gaining weight and alot of it was fat. Recently I have planned out daily meals that I can repeat for the most part, and all of it composed of healthy whole foods aside from a few protein shakes. Combine that and throw in some morning cardio and you can gain weight quickly while minimizing fat gain.

Counting calories is important for sure, but if you find yourself getting lazy with counting and are just hungry, another serving of chicken and rice won't get you in near as much trouble as a double cheeseburger.
mmmm..... double cheeseburger.... ya i'm going to the store right now to get chicken.... but a double cheeseburger would be good

Mikey851

Awards
  • Established
mmmm..... double cheeseburger.... ya i'm going to the store right now to get chicken.... but a double cheeseburger would be good
I am addicted to cheeseburgers and pizza. I'm having withdrawals lol.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I am addicted to cheeseburgers and pizza. I'm having withdrawals lol.
lol - pizza and burger man, like me. Remember, a cheat meal every 3-4 days is okay. I figure if I stick to egg whites, lean chicken and beef, fish, and veggies for 6 solid meals ED Su-W then Wednesday night I can take my wife to a restaurant maybe get a burger or if I behave W-Sa, maybe order in a pizza Saturdya night.

I mean, you just gotta keep it under control. Two slices of pizza won't kill progress especially if you got the needed amount of protein for the day. But if you're finishing a pie by yourself with a six pack of Heineken and nachos for dessert 3 nights a week.... well.... mmm..... i'm making myself hungry again.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i make my own cheat meals - burgers. that way i know its high in mono fat, no trans fat, and vaguely healthy.

Mikey851

Awards
  • Established
lol - pizza and burger man, like me. Remember, a cheat meal every 3-4 days is okay. I figure if I stick to egg whites, lean chicken and beef, fish, and veggies for 6 solid meals ED Su-W then Wednesday night I can take my wife to a restaurant maybe get a burger or if I behave W-Sa, maybe order in a pizza Saturdya night.

I mean, you just gotta keep it under control. Two slices of pizza won't kill progress especially if you got the needed amount of protein for the day. But if you're finishing a pie by yourself with a six pack of Heineken and nachos for dessert 3 nights a week.... well.... mmm..... i'm making myself hungry again.
Haha, well I've got the beer under control luckily.....but not so much the pizza quantity. Me and my wife eat really healthy through the week but we allow ourselves one cheat meal. For the last two weeks we have gone to Cici's Pizza buffet and I murdered it lol, but so far that seems to be working okay. There for a while I was eating at least one $1 double cheeseburger from Burger King everyday. Needless to say that didn't work too well.

Mikey851

Awards
  • Established
i make my own cheat meals - burgers. that way i know its high in mono fat, no trans fat, and vaguely healthy.
I do this sometimes as well. I will make a burger with extra lean beef and use a whole wheat bun and add lowfat cheese and avocado. Another good one is wheat crust pizza with reduced fat mozzarella and some veggies on top.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
x2 on that.

I also make my own pizza - i have a pizza stone from pampered chef, i use whole wheat crust, lean mozzarella cheese, organic tomato sauce and load it up with chicken breast. Two slices fill me up - 40g protein, ~600 calories.

Being a big burger guy - 99% lean beef (1lb.), ground turkey meat (1lb.), 1 jar artichoke hearts, 1 jar jalapenos, 1 green bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, 1 white onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper - put all veggies thru a food processor, mix all ingredients and shape burgers. George Forman those bad boys for 5-10 minutes and eat without bun - clean eating.

Haha, well I've got the beer under control luckily.....but not so much the pizza quantity. Me and my wife eat really healthy through the week but we allow ourselves one cheat meal. For the last two weeks we have gone to Cici's Pizza buffet and I murdered it lol, but so far that seems to be working okay. There for a while I was eating at least one $1 double cheeseburger from Burger King everyday. Needless to say that didn't work too well.
Ya. If you are going to cheat I find saving the cheat meal for ~6pm is best and make sure you get in your other meals from 8am-4pm (every 2 hrs.). This way you aren't ravenously hungry when you get to your cheat meal. This helps keep portion size under control.

You can also assess whether you are cheating too much by your progress. When bulking you should be more cautious, since you are expecting weight and fat gain.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
you use the worshestershire sauce too? that makes a burger :) topped with monterey pepper jack and i'm in heaven.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
you use the worshestershire sauce too? that makes a burger :) topped with monterey pepper jack and i'm in heaven.
Yeah Worcestershire is where it is at.

meathed

meathed

Awards
Being a big burger guy - 99% lean beef (1lb.), ground turkey meat (1lb.), 1 jar artichoke hearts, 1 jar jalapenos, 1 green bell pepper, 1 red bell pepper, 1 white onion, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper - put all veggies thru a food processor, mix all ingredients and shape burgers. George Forman those bad boys for 5-10 minutes and eat without bun - clean eating.
Holy sh!t that makes me hungry. I'm so doing this tomorrow. Thanks Crazy!:439: