who wants huge traps?

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
if you want huge ass traps, switch to reverse grip shrugs instead of overhand. both wide and close grip. i garuntee you'll see results fast.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
very nice. i will be curious to see how this works for me. i love lifting traps. do u lift them on back day or what day?

SimplyDraven

SimplyDraven

Awards
I do them on shoulder day, but that's just me.

Blacktail

Blacktail

Awards
  • Established
I have gigantic traps from heavy deadlifts. I don't do any shrugs. If i added them I would look like I had no shoulders haha.

bulldogz

bulldogz

Awards
  • Established
I like to do my traps on back day...wish I can do deads but my lower back is shot...chiroprator time...!

Gonna try out the reverse grip to see how that pans out, plus good to switch it up...

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i have genetically bug traps and never touched a shrug. i looked at them as ego exercises..but was sooooo wrong. i wanted bigger traps, who knows why, and i tried shrugs, did them forever and saw very lil improvement. i switched to reversegrip and they went from big to gigantic. i do them on shoulder day.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i personally cant go as heavy. however i still make it as heavy as i can handle but also to where i can concentrate on my form.

bulldogz

bulldogz

Awards
  • Established
i personally cant go as heavy. however i still make it as heavy as i can handle but also to where i can concentrate on my form.
Got ya...plus since its reverse grip that will throw your shoulders back and isolate the trap muscle more...thanks brotha!

CodyK7

CodyK7

Awards
I'm confused are you talking about doing this with a barbell or dumbells?

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i was talking about BB here. i aslo do DB after close/wide grip. i just strap in regualr but do them yates style and bend my elbows a tad like a row and squeeze them up and back. this also makes a big difference. check out dorians trainning vid to see how im talking about if you want. i have the link that has the whole blood and guts video on it

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i do a few sets of shrugs on DL day. for me doing both works best. i've also heard (i dont know the name) that "reverse shrugs" work well, where the bar is behind you instead of in front.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what rep ranges do you do? i incorporate the 5x5 into my weekly workout routine so im thinking about doing it today on 5x5 day...your thoughts?

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
i know what your talking about, ive tried them, not a fan personally. only because my ass it too big and its uncomfotable

CodyK7

CodyK7

Awards
i was talking about BB here. i aslo do DB after close/wide grip. i just strap in regualr but do them yates style and bend my elbows a tad like a row and squeeze them up and back. this also makes a big difference. check out dorians trainning vid to see how im talking about if you want. i have the link that has the whole blood and guts video on it
I do them with dumbells in front of me and then do them out to the side.

i do a few sets of shrugs on DL day. for me doing both works best. i've also heard (i dont know the name) that "reverse shrugs" work well, where the bar is behind you instead of in front.
I see guys doing these but I can't do them my butt is too big I have to like come out around my butt or arch my back which looks weird and I'm sure isn't good for my back.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
Tonight, it's shoulders. I'm gonna give these a try. For my size, I think my traps are too small.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
have at it man, youll love these in a few weeks after you see what they do.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
what rep ranges do you do? i incorporate the 5x5 into my weekly workout routine so im thinking about doing it today on 5x5 day...your thoughts?
i do reps betwen 6-10 with traps. i try and pause at the contraction aswell.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
I see guys doing these but I can't do them my butt is too big I have to like come out around my butt or arch my back which looks weird and I'm sure isn't good for my back.[/QUOTE]

haha, same problem here man, what i found works though, if you still want to do them, is go in a rack, and turn around so your out of the rack facing away from it. the bar is still in the rack up against the two posts behind you, step forward so the bar slides up and down the posts when you shrug and your ass wont get in the way. mine doesnt and mines gigantic.

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
using a underhand grip is potenially hazardous on heavy deadlifts as a supinated grip shortens the biceps and increases the load on them.possibly leading to a rupture of the muscle or connecting tendons.i know this is for deadlift but if you go heavy on shruggs i would worry about it.

CodyK7

CodyK7

Awards
haha, same problem here man, what i found works though, if you still want to do them, is go in a rack, and turn around so your out of the rack facing away from it. the bar is still in the rack up against the two posts behind you, step forward so the bar slides up and down the posts when you shrug and your ass wont get in the way. mine doesnt and mines gigantic.

Ok I might have to give that a shot when it's back to trap/shoulder day. I have decent sized traps I just want them to be taller not thicker.

TNASTYII

TNASTYII

Awards
  • Established
nice man...i love traps, ill def be trying the diff grip on my next back day!

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
I tried these last night. They felt good...like more muscle stimulation.

I remember why I don't usually do BB shrugs. Mashing of the "package" is not comfortable.

I followed these up with leaning DB shrugs.

How many sets do you guys usually perform for traps?

TNASTYII

TNASTYII

Awards
  • Established
do bb shrugz behind the back....theres no package back there C:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Most people don't know how to contract anything on their posterior side, which is why underdevelopment is so common. To fully contract the trap, you must pull the weight up and back; many do the up part, but few do the back part.

That being said, the best things I've found for trap size are deadlifts, high pulls, and seated DB shrugs.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Most people don't know how to contract anything on their posterior side, which is why underdevelopment is so common. To fully contract the trap, you must pull the weight up and back; many do the up part, but few do the back part.

That being said, the best things I've found for trap size are deadlifts, high pulls, and seated DB shrugs.
completely agree, thats why i started this thread and said reverse grip. i dont stand straid up but more or less close to a elevated rowing stance which gives me the oppurtunity to go up and back. sure i cant go as heavy but my traps get more stimulation thus they got huge.

also, helps me avoid hitting my package like the guy mentioned above

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
Seated DB shrugs leaning slightly forward are very effective, as well - you need some forward lean to involve the rhomboids for packing on mass on the high posterior chain.

Gizmacho

Gizmacho

Awards
Ricky - That's an excellent tip about using the squat cage to keep the bar hitting the butt cheeks, I'll be using it soon. Repped.

Also, I use a hook grip on heavy shrugs, with the thumb inside the fingers, because it makes it easier to focus on traps and not on grip/wrist slippage. It's a step between doing them raw and using straps. Just my .02.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Ricky - That's an excellent tip about using the squat cage to keep the bar hitting the butt cheeks, I'll be using it soon. Repped.

Also, I use a hook grip on heavy shrugs, with the thumb inside the fingers, because it makes it easier to focus on traps and not on grip/wrist slippage. It's a step between doing them raw and using straps. Just my .02.
thanks man i had to figure something out to get around my butt. how do you mean about this grip? i am very interested, thumb inside the fingers?

Gizmacho

Gizmacho

Awards
thanks man i had to figure something out to get around my butt. how do you mean about this grip? i am very interested, thumb inside the fingers?
Yes, that's exactly it. If you want a quick picture, just google "hook grip deadlift" and you will get some good pictures. It's a trick used to lift heavy dead lifts, cleans and snatches, but I use it for shrugs too.

hog928

Awards
  • Established
i know what your talking about, ive tried them, not a fan personally. only because my ass it too big and its uncomfotable
Thats my problem to, i cant get the bar over my ass lol

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Thats my problem to, i cant get the bar over my ass lol
did you read my section on how to do it effectively without hitting your ass? scroll back a bit incase you didnt, thats only if you still want to do them

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Yes, that's exactly it. If you want a quick picture, just google "hook grip deadlift" and you will get some good pictures. It's a trick used to lift heavy dead lifts, cleans and snatches, but I use it for shrugs too.[/Quote

ohhh i seee. thats very interesting. im going to try that grip and see what i think. i dont know how ive never heard of that before. thanks man

Gizmacho

Gizmacho

Awards
Holy friggin smokes, it works! I used the underhand grip today, and for the first time my wife said, "you look like a football player." I think that said it all.

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Holy friggin smokes, it works! I used the underhand grip today, and for the first time my wife said, "you look like a football player." I think that said it all.
hell yeah man, im glad you liked them, keep it up and watch a huge size increase in the weeks to come

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
bro, im diggin my new trap routine thanks to you!

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
bro, im diggin my new trap routine thanks to you!
thanks man, its kind of funny because in another post these two dudes are negging me saying i dont know what im talking about. im not preaching anything just putting out info i wish i heard earlier. not saying everyone has to do it you know? anyways im gald you liked it man i hope it works wonders for you

cheloz28

cheloz28

Awards
  • Established
Can you explain to me what do you mean by close grip/wide grip? Do you mean while using a BB?

Ricky5145

Awards
  • Established
Can you explain to me what do you mean by close grip/wide grip? Do you mean while using a BB?
yeah close grip (closer than shoulder width) and wide( wider than shoulder width) on a BB

qwerty33

qwerty33

Awards
  • Established
reverse grip is palms up or knuckles up while gripping the barbell

tward18

Awards
I thought reverse grip was one palm towards you and one facing away?

EXDOUS

Awards
Also include 4 sets of behind the back smith machine shrugs keeping your hands along side your body. I perfer going inside and outside the smith machine for intense ROM

Here's my traps workout
4x of 225lbs

4x of 185lbs

to falure 135lbs

Gizmacho

Gizmacho

Awards
thanks man, its kind of funny because in another post these two dudes are negging me saying i dont know what im talking about. im not preaching anything just putting out info i wish i heard earlier. not saying everyone has to do it you know? anyways im gald you liked it man i hope it works wonders for you
Anyone who neggs you for trying to help someone out is an insult to douchhe bags. Jackaasses who start piddly b.s. internet "fights" deserve to be negged, not the ones who come here to share their knowledge.