Bulking and cutting?

Jacked09

Awards
Im new to working out. I dont know what bulking and cutting r. What i want to do is lose body fat and gain muscle. To do that would i need to cut or bulk? I am 5' 10' and 175 pounds and i think my body fat is about 19% or 20%.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im new to working out. I dont know what bulking and cutting r. What i want to do is lose body fat and gain muscle. To do that would i need to cut or bulk? I am 5' 10' and 175 pounds and i think my body fat is about 19% or 20%.
"Bulking" is gaining, the goal being for gains to be muscle mass, but usually is a mixture of muscle mass, lean body weight, and bodyfat.

"Cutting" has the goal of losing bodyfat, with loss in weight occurring, also often lean body mass.

What you want to do is called "Recomping". Recomping is neither bulking or cutting. It is a VERY SLOW process and progress is made much slower than if you were either outright bulking or outright cutting. Recomping is VERY dependent upon your diet manipulation.

I suggest that you get first set yourself SPECIFIC goals (i.e. I want to be x pounds at x % bodyfat) and give yourself a REALISTIC timeline to accomplish them, and then get a professional trainer and/or nutritionist to help you with achieving your goals. Otherwise, once goals are set, read, read, and then read some more, to ensure that you get your nutrition and training targeted appropriately for your goals.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

JudgementDay

JudgementDay

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Bulking" is gaining, the goal being for gains to be muscle mass, but usually is a mixture of muscle mass, lean body weight, and bodyfat.

"Cutting" has the goal of losing bodyfat, with loss in weight occurring, also often lean body mass.

What you want to do is called "Recomping". Recomping is neither bulking or cutting. It is a VERY SLOW process and progress is made much slower than if you were either outright bulking or outright cutting. Recomping is VERY dependent upon your diet manipulation.

I suggest that you get first set yourself SPECIFIC goals (i.e. I want to be x pounds at x % bodyfat) and give yourself a REALISTIC timeline to accomplish them, and then get a professional trainer and/or nutritionist to help you with achieving your goals. Otherwise, once goals are set, read, read, and then read some more, to ensure that you get your nutrition and training targeted appropriately for your goals.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
Great post! Thanks! because I did not know the difference between a cut and recomp, but now I know:)

Jacked09

Awards

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
During a Recomp should i eat foods that r high in protein and low in carbs and fat? Or do i need a high amount of carbs and fat also? What i have been eating is fish, grilled chicken, lean turkey, brown rice, fruits, and veggies. Is that the right food to lose fat and gain muscle? Also i lift weights and workout abs 3 or 4 times a week.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
During a Recomp should i eat foods that r high in protein and low in carbs and fat? Or do i need a high amount of carbs and fat also? What i have been eating is fish, grilled chicken, lean turkey, brown rice, fruits, and veggies. Is that the right food to lose fat and gain muscle? Also i lift weights and workout abs 3 or 4 times a week.
Everyone is different re what they can and can't do re nutrition in a recomp. Do what is right for YOU re getting results. It's all about manipulating your diet just right.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

WilteredFire

WilteredFire

Awards
  • Established
The right fats are going to be good, in the right amounts, it will help your body have optimal hormone levels. Such as olive oil. Keep protein intake high (no need to go crazy like 300grams) but keep your protein intake up, carbs moderate...BUT more importantly switch any High G.I. carbs like white bread for more lower G.I. carbs and learn to mix up your meals and foods and adding some source of healthy fats in with a high/moderate carb meal should help lower the GI index of the food even more.

Fats are often talked about as the "be all end all" of fat loss when carbs are equally important, if not, more so for some people.

So like i said, if you do bulk, make sure your carbs are from the right sources, and not refined, and sensible in the G.I. side, right source of fats, and you're pretty much set. Ive just ordered 2litres of pure MCT oil, and im going to give you the same advice, if your looking to recomp, and you are interested in gaining muscle whilst losing fat, MCT oil should be a golden addition to any diet.

Dont forget if you want to bulk and are afraid of fat gain, chuck in some sesamin oil 3 times a day with your foods to help you prevent fat gain and maybe lean you up some too.

All the best.