how do I modify my lifting to lose a little more fat while bulking in my case

snyper2k2

Awards
Allright, im a big guy, im about 5'11'' tall, weigh about 250lbs.
I have lifted before about 2 years ago and I stopped. Now I am determined and have been lifting for about a month and a half. My max was 150 bench. i know....I know... Well now I got it up to 205lbs. I can tell that I packed on alot of muscle and lost some fat, but of course not as much fat as I wish i had.

All in all I weigh about 251 now, but with good muscle gains and fat loss.
My question is pretty much, can I get some pointers? besides the take this many cals, this many grams of protein and such. I already went through that.

Should I start doing more reps and less weight to try and burn more fat per muscle gain as I lift? Or keep at what im doing?

Also another question was, that im thinking of doing a month of ECA, but i currently take Jack3d when I goto the gym. Is that a No-no? if i take ECA and Jack3d?

I was thinking of taking ECA 3xday, BUT on the days I use jack3d doing it without the C.

Again, some pointers? Thanks.

TwinLabs 100%Whey Protein Fuel
Animal Omega
Jack3d
Multi
Formadrol Ext
Cellmass

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
You could try circuit training to burn some additional cals while lifting, or just simply supersetting if you don't do that now.
jack3d by itself is pretty intense, and should be enough pre workout.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
ever heard of HIIT? it's great for what you're talking about. do it after lifting for 20 minutes or so. you can also shorten the rest periods between sets, sort of like circuit training. i would not lift less or do less reps unless you need to change because you've been on a routine for a while now. ECA stack? sure, why not. skip the dose around when you take jacked though, unless you can handle the stims. i find too many stims give me a crappy w/o.

snyper2k2

Awards
I usually lift one day on one day off, changing from tris, bicepts and chest, then legs, then chest and back.

Is it better if i do HIIT in the morning or later at night, ad is it better if I do it on my off days?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Treat HIIT like a lifting session with proper WO nutrition. Also, start on the lighter side with a 3:1 rest:sprint ratio and work your way up.

I'd keep it away from your leg days by a couple of days and do dynamic stretching and at least a 3 minute warm-up and a 3 minute cool-down along with proper static stretching.

snyper2k2

Awards
Treat HIIT like a lifting session with proper WO nutrition. Also, start on the lighter side with a 3:1 rest:sprint ratio and work your way up.

I'd keep it away from your leg days by a couple of days and do dynamic stretching and at least a 3 minute warm-up and a 3 minute cool-down along with proper static stretching.
Will do, and do it on off days?
I read that alot of guys do it on an empty stomach and in the mornings, is that the best way to do it?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will do, and do it on off days?
I read that alot of guys do it on an empty stomach and in the mornings, is that the best way to do it?
I am not a fan (at all) of doing HIIT on an empty stomach. Too demanding and channels too much glucose for the body to be without substrate for many hours from sleep. You may be able to handle it on days that you lift, depending on your current split, but only you can make that call. I've done HIIT after lifting many times, but that's something that I've built up to form years of training.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I'm a fan of HIIT in the AM on empty stomach but usually in the second high-intensity period my vision starts to go a little darker :shocked1: it hurts but the results are unrivaled IME.

snyper2k2

Awards
I see, Ill go ahead and start up tomorrow morning, today is chest and back so Ill be ok for tomorrow. I plan on doing it on off days then, but I dont know about the empty stomach, would it be smart to drink a protein shake b4 or after HIIT?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I see, Ill go ahead and start up tomorrow morning, today is chest and back so Ill be ok for tomorrow. I plan on doing it on off days then, but I dont know about the empty stomach, would it be smart to drink a protein shake b4 or after HIIT?
If you go empty stomach run on a track or outside. Nothing hurts more than passing out on a treadmill..... friction burns

EDIT: For your first few attempts with HIIT take in a few carbs before hand (e.g. half a banana). Remember, ultimately your diet will dictate your fat loss / muscle gain.

snyper2k2

Awards
I noticed that the twinlab protein im taking has this per serving

Typical Amino Acid Profile Per Serving
L-Alanine------------1,170 mg L-Proline--------2,060 mg
L-Aspartic Acid------2,310 mg ++L-Threonine------1,500 mg
L-Glutamic Acid------3,730 mg L-Tyrosine---------810 mg
L-Histidine------------620 mg L-Arginine---------740 mg
++L-Leucine (BCAA)-----2,330 mg L-Cystine----------680 mg
++L-Methionine-----------500 mg Glycine------------690 mg
++L-Isoleucine (BCAA)--1,460 mg ++L-Lysine---------2,060 mg
++L-Phenylalanine--------910 mg L-Serine---------1,370 mg
#++L-Tryptophan----------700 mg ++L-Valine---------1,370 mg
++Essential Amino Acids # Naturally Occuring. Not added or manufactured.

Also it has...
Total Carbohydrate 3 g 1%*

And thats per serving, so after seeingt hat, Im guessing that 1 serving before Hiit wouldnt be bad?

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Antagonistic supersets:

Day 1 - Chest and Back
Day 2 - Shoulders and Arms
Day 3 - Legs

30 to 60 seconds rest between exercises and 90 to 120 seconds rest between sets.

Example Set:

BB Bench Press - 30 to 60 seconds rest
BB Bent Row - 90 to 120 seconds rest

Repeat Set 2X

snyper2k2

Awards
cool cool....
Also, i noticed that sometimes when I took Jack3D I didnt feel it much, but I also noticed that if I do light weights and very light cardio 30 minutes after taking jack3d I feel it alot, is that typical with any N.O. product?

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
A lot of people don't realize that HIIT is part of bulking. This idea of "dirty bulking" has thrown people for a loop. IMO "dirty bulking" doesn't exist, it is just half ass bulking.

Glad you asked and follow the advice.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
A lot of people don't realize that HIIT is part of bulking. This idea of "dirty bulking" has thrown people for a loop. IMO "dirty bulking" doesn't exist, it is just half ass bulking.

Glad you asked and follow the advice.
I'd agree with you there for most cases. I mean, it depends on your goals to some extent but this idea that you are going to go all out for a bulk without regard to fat gain and then worry about cutting later is a dangerous ideology.

An acceptable dirty bulk translates to one set of macros and a lean bulk to another. Some people probably take a dirty bulk as a free pass to eat however many calories, fat, carbs so long as they get the requisite protein. To be honest, just recently in the last 4-5 months did I truly adhere to a lean bulk and I am much happier with the results thus far.

monsterbox

monsterbox

Awards
  • Established
I'd agree with you there for most cases. I mean, it depends on your goals to some extent but this idea that you are going to go all out for a bulk without regard to fat gain and then worry about cutting later is a dangerous ideology.

An acceptable dirty bulk translates to one set of macros and a lean bulk to another. Some people probably take a dirty bulk as a free pass to eat however many calories, fat, carbs so long as they get the requisite protein. To be honest, just recently in the last 4-5 months did I truly adhere to a lean bulk and I am much happier with the results thus far.

I've been doing this for 2.5 years lol. I've gained over 50lbs of muscle. I'm now at 5 7 195 12-13%. I only do cardio 1x per week, maybe 2. I eat tons of oatmeal/rice/corn for my carbs and tons of weigh, red meat, chicken, whole eggs. I don't do any HIIT except once in a while for a few weeks. However my workouts are very heavy, very intense. If I do cardio more than 2 times per week for more than 30mins each session, I loose tons of strength and glycogen storage.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I've been doing this for 2.5 years lol. I've gained over 50lbs of muscle. I'm now at 5 7 195 12-13%. I only do cardio 1x per week, maybe 2. I eat tons of oatmeal/rice/corn for my carbs and tons of weigh, red meat, chicken, whole eggs. I don't do any HIIT except once in a while for a few weeks. However my workouts are very heavy, very intense. If I do cardio more than 2 times per week for more than 30mins each session, I loose tons of strength and glycogen storage.
i'm not specifically saying HIIT needs to be part of everyone's training. I'm merely saying that too many people focus strictly on either bulking or cutting without regard to the other side of the coin. Your diet/training sound good to me but I can think of a few people who don't eat so clean and simply say well I'm bulking so its okay if i gain a little fat. They gain 80% fat and 20% muyscle then they cut by eating 500 cal /day.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I used to do this too, and I'm not knocking it. It really depends on what you are looking for. If you want to be as big as possible and not really in shape then you can do minimal cardio. If you want to be less huge, but also in good cardiovascular shape then you can do that also. I personally do a mix because I need the cardio aspect of working out for my job. If I didnt need to be in good cardio shape I would prob do the same thing you do again.

It is definately a matter of desire, but a lot of people who don't do any cardio could look in good shape but truly arent.