Bulking, 4th week in, HELP

BreezyF

Awards
Really my first time completely dedicating myself to lifting. Im on a dirty bulk, i've gained around 12 pounds within the last four weeks. I originally thought I was a hardgainer...maybe im not?

Im 22, 5'6 and weigh 160 pounds.
Lift four times a week
Im on the SAIS "Mass Building Routine" ( I felt that it was great to start with, Im changing my workout after the 6th week)

Heres my plan:

Monday: Chest, biceps

Bench press (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
Incline press (free weights, barbell) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
Vertical bench press (machine) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)
Barbell curls (shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
Dumbbell curls (seated) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
EZ-barbell curls (narrow grip) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)

Tuesday: Legs

Squats (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
Leg press (machine) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
Hack squats (machine) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch muscle fibers)

Thursday: Shoulders, triceps

Behind the neck press (free weights, barbell) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
Standing upright rows (free weights, EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
Front overhead press (machine) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)
Lying triceps press (free weights, EZ-barbell) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
Overhead triceps press (free weights, EZ-barbell) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
Triceps pushdown (machine, cable) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)

Friday: Back, calves

Front latpulldown (machine, shoulder wide grip) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
Seated cable rows (machine, narrow grip) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
Dumbbell rows (one arm at a time) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)
Standing calf raises (machine) 3 sets 6 reps (fast-twitch white muscle fibers)
Seated calf raises (machine) 2 sets 10 reps (intermediate muscle fibers)
Bend-over calf raises (machine) 1 set 20 reps (slow-twitch red muscle fibers)

Here is the Link to the plan : bodybuilding.com/fun/jeff1.htm Bodybuilding.com - S.A.I.S. Mass-Building Routine! - Jeff McCarrell

The supplements:
2x Multi's a day
4x Fish oil's
2x Vitamin C's
3x ZMA's before bed (CRAZIEST DREAMS IN THE WORLD)
2x cytogainer (on lifting days)

Diet :

Usually eat Oatmeal around 7 am,

sausage egg and cheese around 9:30am

pasta with some type of meat around 12:30pm

some wheat bread and a protein shake around 4pm

lift at 5pm

6pm protein shake

7pm chicken or steak side of potatoes and a salad

Any suggestions people? By the way, Im thinking about starting Havok after my initial Gains!

Any criticism or comments: I would appreciate it

jhughes4

jhughes4

Awards
  • Established
If i were you bro i would add in some cottage cheese or something right before bed time you need some good slow digesting protein to help keep those muscles anabolic. Plus try to have a protein shake or your eggs right whhen u get up cause your body is starving for some fast digesting protein to fuel those muscles. make sure you research havoc like crazy and know how to run a quality pct and all the correct support supps.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
behind the neck press will destroy your rotator cuff. in front only.
way too many curls monday.
not nearly enough back volume and way too much calf. where are your deadlifts and rack pulls on back day?
dont start a steroid until you have 2 years experience and know what works for you.
your diet is far from "dirty". dirty implies see-food-eat-it, you're not even close. i dont even see how you have 2k cals/day on what you eat. track it on fitday.com and see.

matt352

Awards
  • Established
behind the neck press will destroy your rotator cuff. in front only.
way too many curls monday.
not nearly enough back volume and way too much calf. where are your deadlifts and rack pulls on back day?
dont start a steroid until you have 2 years experience and know what works for you.
your diet is far from "dirty". dirty implies see-food-eat-it, you're not even close. i dont even see how you have 2k cals/day on what you eat. track it on fitday.com and see.
def up your back volume... thats prob one of the biggest points.
Add more calories...period. Thats def not enough and you will hit a big wall in weight gain soon if you havent already.

BreezyF

Awards
i've hit the wall in weight gain already and my shoulder did crack the other day while i was doing military presses, i still actually feel it....i guess i should be eating more, im only on this program for 2 more weeks and then my cousin is going to make me one, i dont have enough knowledge to make my own.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
yeah you will...by reading everything here, reading anything lyle mcdonald has written, writing your own plan, posting it here for critique.
hopefully you're tracking your still inadequate intake and have stopped those damned behind the neck presses. if you're serious about this you have to take control, learn, and just do it.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
i know what workout program ur doing and it sucks. ive tried it and didnt see any strength gain. if u are truly bulking, u need to do 3 to 4 sets per exercise low weight, especially on squat, rows, bench and deadlift. if u do those 4 sets of maybe 10 8 6 4 then the rest of body part focused exercises like DB curl 12 10 8 or something. im doing that now and i love it. go heavy on compound lifts and mix it up on other lifts, nothing over 12 reps. then when u decide to cut, do a totally different program

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
"Dirty Bulking" means that you havent done enough preparation for a good bulk. IMO dirty bulking isnt a real thing. You need to eat alot of good foods, high in protein and carbs and do proper cardio. You will gain muscle and some fat, but this game isnt easy and it takes time. Preparation means buying large quantities of the right foods and having them on hand to avoid having to eat crap.

Vinny B

Awards
Quads, hams and calves contain mainly slow twitch muscle fibers. Stick to 12+ reps, go deep and feel the muscle work. The occasional low rep day is ok but its mainly going to build strength, not size. W/e works for you though. Your missing a lot of beginner staples as previously stated; pull ups, laterals, BB rows etc.

You need to learn the basics before going to hormones. I am also in my early 20's and can tell you that your hormones are naturally more potent than any ph you can buy. Get that diet down and you will be on you way.

buffquads

buffquads

Awards
Not enough calories...some of the exercises work the same muscle group too much ...Work more on the compound exercises. ex..Bench...Squat...Deadlift...Barbell Rows.....