Low Fat Bulking, is it still alive??? - AnabolicMinds.com

Low Fat Bulking, is it still alive???

1. New Member

Question Low Fat Bulking, is it still alive???

Back when I first started bodybuilding the consensus was that while bulking, one should eat sufficient carbs and as little fat as possible (as little as needed to stay healthy and avoid deficiencies in steroid production / joint aches and vitamin absorption). We were told that it was a better idea to get the bulk of calories from carbs -while eating plenty of protein- because this would lead to less fat gain compared to a diet with the same number of calories but a greater proportion of those calories coming from fat. The logic was that de novo lypogenesis was a hard process for the body and required lots of extra carbs, while it was easier to simply store fats form the diet as fats (the "fats can store themselves " ideology).

Today, however, I do not see bodybuilders follow this path any longer wile bulking. However, the basic tenets do not seem to have been rejected by science. Nutritionists still say that de novo lypogenesis is a process requiring quite a bit of extra carbs and we still know that fats can store themselves.

So is low fat, high carb bulking still the way to go, or have the scientific foundations of this approach been eroded?

Thanks

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

I have heard that if a person is not taking hormonal's fat needs to be at least 20 percent or testosterone production suffers. I have not saw the studies but I like to keep my fat 20 %..

I have never went to low fat but that does not mean i would try it and see how it works for myself.
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  3. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    I have heard that if a person is not taking hormonal's fat needs to be at least 20 percent or testosterone production suffers. I have not saw the studies but I like to keep my fat 20 %..

I have never went to low fat but that does not mean i would try it and see how it works for myself.
    That's pretty much the summary of how the theory goes these days. Feel free to experiment and tell us how it goes.
    •   

4. New Member

but how about fat storage?
    isn't it true that you will store more fat if a greater % of calories are from fat?
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.

Too many calories, no matter what they come from, will lead to excess fat storage.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  170 lbs.

u can always eat lower fat on lifting days around 10-15% and have ur carb like 50-55% and then non lifting days switch the carbs and fat around. it would even out over the course of the week but the high fat low carb day would give ur hormones a lil boost and prevent excess carbs from being stored as fat when ur not as active
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sub7 View Post
    isn't it true that you will store more fat if a greater % of calories are from fat?
    1 gram of carb = 4 calories
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of fat= 9 calories
    1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories
    Follow me on facebook, twitter and youtube, where I share information and videos to help you achieve your physique goals, John Smeton Ftness
  8. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by smeton_yea View Post
    1 gram of carb = 4 calories
    1 gram of protein = 4 calories
    1 gram of fat= 9 calories
    1 gram of alcohol = 7 calories
    Don't know what to say really... This is Noble prize material. Maybe you should not put this up on a public board, because once you do, you can no longer patent it
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sub7 View Post
    Large excesses in carbs just get stored as fat anyways, so its like 6 of one or a half dozen of the other. I like to keep fats high while bulking, as I'm currently doing. Plenty of PB, whole milk, whole eggs, and EVOO. I also increase carbs significantly as well.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Anyone alive out there??
    By pilip99 in forum Custom Capsule
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-27-2011, 10:37 PM
  2. are you still alive?
    By RexGrandis in forum Custom Capsule
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-26-2007, 02:54 PM
  3. I'm Still Alive...for those who give a sh***.
    By Cuffs in forum General Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 12:17 PM
  4. I'm alive :D
    By moklepaul in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-23-2006, 09:55 PM