winter bulk help

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
during my winter bulk, i have put on about 8 pounds naturally. in a month or so, i plan to run prime with a creatine. this is my first winter bulking so im new at this. the first part of my bulk was a dirty bulk. now i am doing a clean bulk but i still have a little gut i am 5ft 9 173 pounds. i take 2 scoops of serious mass with 2 scoops of ice cream, 1 egg and a banana in my shake. is there any way to lean up the stomach area without burning too many calories for bulking. i rarely do cardio and i do abs about 4x a week. my training is chest one day, back the other, legs...etc 2 on 1 off. reps consist of nothing higher than 10, nothing lower than 4. usually ill do sets of 3 of 8,6,4 but on main lifts ill do 4 sets. ill be posting a leaning up forum towards the end of december to get ready for spring break. i have many questions on that but for this thread, any advice on bulking without gaining a gut is helpful

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
you need to decide if you're going to recomp (slowly "lean up") or bulk. you cannot gain weight without gaining weight...including fat. likewise, do all the direct ab work you want, but you cannot spot lose fat. figure out what you really want and choose a diet to meet those goals. if i were you, and you are taller/lighter than me, i'd bulk since you need mass. you can do a proper cut in spring.

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I would add 3 days of light to moderate cardio a week and drop 3 days of abs.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
youngandfree, how much cardio? i heard jump roping for 5 min is worth 20 min of jogging.urbanski, so r u saying just do a dirty bulk and eat everything in sight, although not junk like cookies 24 7 i know, and so cardio as well?

matt352

Awards
  • Established
agree with urban...pick what your goal is. Are you ok with your current weight and just want to cut your bodyfat? Or do you want to gain more mass? If you are still looking for mass gains, you should definitely just eat as much as possible and worry about the fat gain when it comes time to cut.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
sounds like ur diet needs work if 2 scoops of serious mass and ice cream is clean bulking? so ur having about 350 carbs from sugar in one shake ....

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
my metabolism is very fast, ive been taking serious mass for 2 years and have not gained any fat so the shake is not the problem. ive just been eating alot, a mix of fat and lean food and have developed a little gut. still see my six pack but not near as much anymore. nobody has answered this question though, how much cardio should i do during bulking if any. and matt, i am looking for mass, not ok with my weight as far as my overall goal is. my goal is 205 lean. big goal i know. so guess u guys r sayin get fat now, then lean up around jan or feb

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
but my diet is pretty good. i eat 4 solid meals a day with snacks in between. snacks include egg whites, turkey meat, oatmeal bar, nuts hahaha and some fruit

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
if you decide to bulk more, get some naturally more peanut butter (at walmart). It's got more protein(egg whites) and flax seeds in it plus it tastes awesome.

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
u gotta figure out how much cardio is good for u bro everyones different why dont u just try doing fasted cardio a few days a week with some bcaas to prevent muscle breakdown instead of doing it after u lift. but if u have a fast metabolism and u have a gut still then its ur diet. u kno u could make a shake with real food thats alot better than serious mass right? protein, milk, pb, oats, coconut oil. customize the macros the way u want it and there u go, using whole foods gives u all the nutrients, vitamins, mineral that u dont get from 200g of maltodextrin.

Sinon

Sinon

Awards
Naturally more tastes funny to me. Super chunk natural skippy is good eh? I eat 3 tablespoons on a slice of wheat bread for a quick snack.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
i eat egg whites and all that. i dont have time to make a homemade shake. im in med school so im super busy

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
do you know how quick i make my homemade weight gainer shakes?
1 c whole milk, 4 Tbsp EVOO, 54gm ON whey, 20gm dex. blend, drink. literally 1 minute or less. 2-3 per day is up to 2400 cals.

matt352

Awards
  • Established
my metabolism is very fast, ive been taking serious mass for 2 years and have not gained any fat so the shake is not the problem. ive just been eating alot, a mix of fat and lean food and have developed a little gut. still see my six pack but not near as much anymore. nobody has answered this question though, how much cardio should i do during bulking if any. and matt, i am looking for mass, not ok with my weight as far as my overall goal is. my goal is 205 lean. big goal i know. so guess u guys r sayin get fat now, then lean up around jan or feb
yea i def wouldnt worry about that fat now, since you have an idea of what you are doing and seem to eat pretty healthy stuff. I havent stopped bulking since i really got serious about 2 years ago. And the most cardio I do is walking around at work haha. Just eat and cut your cardio, when you are starting to get close to your goal weight, then maybe switch up your diet and routine and cut some bf. Your goal is a very reasonable one it just takes time...but i personally feel it will take a lot longer to "lean bulk" to 205 than just straight up bulk til you hit the goal weight then cut the fat. JMO good luck man

matt352

Awards
  • Established
do you know how quick i make my homemade weight gainer shakes?
1 c whole milk, 4 Tbsp EVOO, 54gm ON whey, 20gm dex. blend, drink. literally 1 minute or less. 2-3 per day is up to 2400 cals.
This is def something to consider swoldier...I used to buy gainers too cause I was always on the run. Starting to make homemade ones was one of the best choices I've made. Seriously is just as fast...taste way better...can add/subtract whatever you want...and savesss seriousss money. I personally saw more gains wayyy quicker from homemade shakes then with store bought.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
get you some boyyyy!! suck it up and ignore the fat. Even though we don't really have a winter down here, then when I come down during winter break we'll start the leaning out process. "recomp" if you will.

You know my shake swoldier boy: 2 tablespoon EVO, 2 scoops (nitrocore 24 or Muscle delight), 8-12 ounce whole milk, 1 banana, 2 table spoon natural PB, and 1 scoop glycomaize.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
u dont even lift anymore lol and i need calories!!!!!! so what foods can i put in my own shake to have about 2k calories and 50 grams of protein

matt352

Awards
  • Established
natural peanut butter
oats
whole milk
olive oil
flax seed
whey
eggs
different fruits

anything you want...thats the beauty of it haha

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
u dont even lift anymore lol and i need calories!!!!!! so what foods can i put in my own shake to have about 2k calories and 50 grams of protein
just like matt said. personally i vary the olive oil depending on my goals. if i'm jamming in as many calories as i can, i generally add 4 tablespoons per shake, which itself is almost 500 calories. i vary the carbs also based on how bloated i am.
you drink 3 of my recipes per day and you're looking at 2400 calories and 150gms protein.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
tell me if this is good. i just made this shake. 2 cups of 2%, a package of oatmeal, one raw egg, one banana, a few spoons of peanut butter, one scoop of serious mass and 3 tbls of olive oil. is that a pretty good shake?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you need to learn to count your calories that way you can control EXACTLY how many calories you are taking in.

you are doing guess work and for precise results guessing does not work.

learn your bmr...learn to count calories count them every day and adjust your results with how many calories you take in per day.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
im not trying to be a pro bodybuilder. im simply asking if that shake looked like a good amount of nutrients. im not gonna waste time and do all that when i have getting a degree on my mind.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im not trying to be a pro bodybuilder. im simply asking if that shake looked like a good amount of nutrients. im not gonna waste time and do all that when i have getting a degree on my mind.
You're overthinking it and don't use college as an excuse in this situation.

Eat more and give it time. That's the most important thing for progress in gaining LBM.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
had i exchanged all the time i spent drinking in bars during med school, with time in the gym, i'd be 250lbs now. you have time. fitday.com takes only minutes a day to log your intake.
as far as your shake, seems like alot of carbs, that would bloat me, but a good dose of calories. you'd know for sure if you logged it.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
well i want carbs and i used to do that on fitday.com so i know whats in the meals i eat