bulking and weight gainers

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37%

bulking and weight gainers

I have a very very clean natural diet which revolves around health nut family and Asian foods. I believe I'm not reaching my correct calorie intake to bulk properly, one thing I've noticed in weight gainers (600 calorie shakes, definitely not looking for more atm) are mainly just loaded with carbs.

Currently all I'm taking is Animal Pak (2 a day), Optimum Nutrition whey protein, and pre-workout jack3d.

If all I need is calories and carbs to bulk, what I'm wondering is what's the point of getting a 600 calorie shake if I can just eat a couple extra bowls of white rice? I know weight gainers have a lot of protein usually, but I'm not too worried about protein because my family has pretty much unlimited supply of sushi at my disposal, and I take protein shakes regularly when I eat a meal that tend to be low on protein.

My meals are usually very high in veggies, lean cuts of meats, korean bbq, plenty of sushi and sashimi, eggs, milk, whole grain breads, peanut butter, etc. pretty clean and healthy for the most part.

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.31%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Props to you for your thought process.

You are correct that you can just make up your energy needs with real food. In fact I would say it is best if you can. Carbs in general are not evil at all, however those in weight gainers, often from dextrose/glucose, are. So yeah have a couple extra tekka or salmon dons - especially if it's free.
  3. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox View Post
    Props to you for your thought process.

You are correct that you can just make up your energy needs with real food. In fact I would say it is best if you can. Carbs in general are not evil at all, however those in weight gainers, often from dextrose/glucose, are. So yeah have a couple extra tekka or salmon dons - especially if it's free.
    +1 'weight gainers' are bunk IMO.

I hate those empty calorie sugars, and prefer to make my own using oats and berries as a CHO source.

Make it in the AM and take it to work in a thermos to drink in between meals.

However if youve got free sushi, wow, I wish I had!
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    37%

Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    +1 'weight gainers' are bunk IMO.

I hate those empty calorie sugars, and prefer to make my own using oats and berries as a CHO source.

Make it in the AM and take it to work in a thermos to drink in between meals.

However if youve got free sushi, wow, I wish I had!
    yea it's a perk for having a family that runs sushi catering business, since it's impossible to order the correct amount of fish it's best to over order =)
  5. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.47%

Wow, I am jealous. I LOOOOOVE sushi.

I have been making the same shake for almost a year now. I tweat it around every now and then.

1 cup whole milk
    2 tbsp natty pb
    1 scoop whey
    frozen blueberries or strawberries
    1/2 cup oats
    honey and vanilla extract

It is super filling and nutritious and boasts as many calories as a weight gainer.
  6. Banned
    Stats
    6'2"  213 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

^^^ looks delicious man, however you may want to boost that protein content a little, say another scoop of whey or 4 egg whites
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  165 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.47%

Quote Originally Posted by jakellpet View Post
    ^^^ looks delicious man, however you may want to boost that protein content a little, say another scoop of whey or 4 egg whites
    Yeah, you can adjust it however you want. With the milk it is probably around 30 grams which is good with me.
  8. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  218 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    67.39%

Agreed. Even if you are in a rush during your day and need a weight gainer to just get in some calories, I would def suggest making your own in advance. Not only will they be packed with calories from the stuff you add, they taste way better then a store bought expensive weight gainer. You could blow a nice hole in your pocket just finding a gainer that you can actually take down hahaaha. Your def on the right track..good luck man

Similar Forum Threads

1. mass gainers and bulking
    By rojasdave in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-11-2011, 01:45 PM
  2. Best Weight Gainers
    By ChrisG10 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 09:56 PM
  3. Sick from Weight Gainers
    By Ju1cedUp in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5