BUlking basicccs

fellowmike

fellowmike

Awards
Many non-competitive bodybuilders choose not to adopt an aerobic exercise strategy, as it often results in significant unwanted fat gain during the "bulking" phase (particularly for those who do not use anabolic steroids). While competitive bodybuilders focus their efforts to achieve a peak appearance during a brief "competition season", most ordinary people prefer to maintain an attractive physique year-round. Anecdotal evidence suggests that a proper training program combined with a modestly hypercaloric diet with proper macronutrient balance can produce steady gains in size and strength, while avoiding significant increases in body fat. -wikipedia

5k of calories + working out + aerobic exercise= significant raise in mass

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
how much cardio should one do during bulking phase to keep off the gut but still have enough calories to gain weight. i realize u will have some fat on u, but ya u get what im sayin

loki515

Awards
you shouldnt do anymore then 15mins of cardio during a bulking phase from what I have read. I am a hard gainer and adding cardioin with heavy lifts defeats any gains (weight wise) for me personally.

loki515

Awards
and i see we are both about the same stats. lol

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
how much cardio should one do during bulking phase to keep off the gut but still have enough calories to gain weight. i realize u will have some fat on u, but ya u get what im sayin
Each individual will be different and therefore will need to find out what works specifically for THEM.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

Al Swearengen

Awards
Many non-competitive bodybuilders choose not to adopt an aerobic exercise strategy, as it often results in significant unwanted fat gain during the "bulking" phase (particularly for those who do not use anabolic steroids). While competitive bodybuilders focus their efforts to achieve a peak appearance during a brief "competition season", most ordinary people prefer to maintain an attractive physique year-round. Anecdotal evidence suggests that a proper training program combined with a modestly hypercaloric diet with proper macronutrient balance can produce steady gains in size and strength, while avoiding significant increases in body fat. -wikipedia

5k of calories + working out + aerobic exercise= significant raise in mass

200-300 over maintenance + working out + no aerobic exercise = significant raise in mass.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
200-300 over maintenance + working out + no aerobic exercise = significant raise in mass.
yea i'm sticking with that for now... from what some pros (not on the juice) tell me, 1 to 2 sessions a week of HIIT (anaerobic) should minimize fat gain while also promoting active recovery.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
so maybe do 8 min and see how that goes, Rosie?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so maybe do 8 min and see how that goes, Rosie?
8 minutes of what? Cardio in total? Of efforts (excluding pre and post-effort easier periods)? Be MORE specific.

I would recommend doing what I did when I first started with HIIT:
a. 4 min easy
b. 8 x 20 sec effort/10 sec easy
c. 4 min easy

Or you can do 5 x 1 min on/30 sec off, etc.

Have a look around and see what others are doing or recommended sessions? Have a play around; try a few; see what you like and don't. Like I said, find out what works for you. Don't just be RANDOM about it though.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

kmk25

kmk25

Awards
I would say it depends on your bodyfat and goals.. in my opinion there is not too many better options than sprints for cardio. increases strength and gets you shredded

BostonFan

BostonFan

Awards
really depends on what style lifting you are doing. I see no point in doing aerobic. You are producing approximately 36 ATP from ONE glucose chain during aerobic exercise. You aren't producing as much ATP doing anaerobic lifts but you are burning more calories because of the weight intensity

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
the fat you gain or do not gain during a bulk is not a function of how much cardio you do....or dont do. its your diet that controls this. and you simply need to learn your breakpoints, where you maintian; gain; and gain too fast with too much fat. takes time and constant logging to figure out.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
the fat you gain or do not gain during a bulk is not a function of how much cardio you do....or dont do. its your diet that controls this. and you simply need to learn your breakpoints, where you maintian; gain; and gain too fast with too much fat. takes time and constant logging to figure out.
+1

Do cardio if you want to build stamina, not for modifying energy balance. Do the latter through diet. Otherwise you are just messing with too many variables.

Swoldierboy

Awards
  • Established
well if i did cardio, it would be to try to lean down my stomach cause im bloated right now. and im doing a dirty/clean bulk. kinda a mix which i need cause im a hard gainer. im about to get on prime and size on for a bit, then 3 weeks after that stack im gonna start to cut but i dont wanna lose muscle, just the bloat and i dont know how

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
One thing to try while bulking, especially if you are putting on too much body fat, is substitute a protein shake a day with a nice lean piece of chicken breast, steak, or other "real" food that is high in protein. Just make sure this isnt your post-workout shake. Some of the components of protein shakes store as fats in your body, especially the malto. Try it and if you dont like it go back.

I've also found that chocolate flavored protein shakes leave more fat deposits then other flavors. They will say zero fat, but this doesnt reflect the truth of certain components.